- Volume 35 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Design of Cooling System of Over-molding Mold for Socket Component of Automobile Wiper
자동차 와이퍼 소켓 부품 제작용 오버몰딩 금형의 냉각 시스템 설계
- Lee, Dong-Gi (Dept. of Mechatronics Engineering, Chosun Univ.) ;
- Park, Min-Woo (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Chosun Univ.) ;
- Ahn, Dong-Gyu (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Chosun Univ.)
- Received : 2011.06.21
- Accepted : 2011.08.08
- Published : 2011.12.01
The objective of this study is to design of a cooling system of the over-molding mold for a socket component of an automobile wiper by performing numerical analyses. Hot spots in which the temperature distributions are higher than those of other region, were estimated by an initial over-molding analysis for the initial design of the mold. On the basis of the initial over-molding analysis, two types of cooling system designs with a linear cooling channel and a volumetric heat sink, were considered to improve the cooling characteristics of hot spots. To obtain an appropriate cooling system design, the effects of the diameter and the position of the linear cooling channels on the cooling characteristics and the product qualities were quantitatively examined. In addition, the effects of the design of the volumetric heat sink on the cooling characteristics and deformation distributions in the molded product were investigated. The results of the over-molding analysis of the two types of cooling systems showed that the multi-sliced over-molding mold with a volumetric heat sink can improve both the product quality and the cooling characteristics of the mold.
Over-Moulding;Socket Component;Cooling System;Cooling Characteristics;Product Quality;Volumetric Heat Sink
Supported by : 조선대학교
- Prus, H., 1983, "Process and Machine for Overmolding Connectors on Electrical Conductors," U.S. Patent 4383964
- Fusselman, D., Gale. R. and Horchler. D., 2001, "Electrical Connector with Over-molded Housing Member and Method of Over-molding," U.S. Patent 6200171
- Costa, F., Fan, Z., Kennedy, P., Kietzmann, C. and Ray, S., 2005, "Three-dimensional Cooling and Warpage Simulation for the Injection Over-molding Process," Proceedings of ANTEC 2005, Vol. 2, pp. 146-150.
- Lin, Z. C. and Chou, M. H., 2002, "Design of the Cooling Channels in Nonretangular Plastic Flat Injection Mold," Journal of Manufacturing System, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 167-186. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-6125(02)80160-1
- Ahn, D. G. and Park, S. H., 2006, "Manufacturing of Injection Mold with a High Cooling Rate Using DMT Rapid Prototyping Process," Proc. of 2006 KSPE Autumn Annual Meeting, pp. 17-18.
- Ahn, D. G. and Kim, H. W., 2007, "Investigation into Variation of Thermal Characteristics for the Mould with Multi-materials," Proc. of 2007 KSPE Spring Annual Meeting, pp. 223-224.
- Tang, L. Q., Chassapis, C. and Manoochehri, S., 1997, "Optimal Cooling System Design for Multi-cavity Injection Molding," Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, Vol. 26, pp. 229-251. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-874X(96)00083-2
- Min, B. H., 1999, "A Study on the Cooling System Design of Injection Mold," Proc. of 1999 KSPE Autumn Annual Meeting, pp. 910-913.
- Knights, M., 2003, "Rapid Tooling It's Faster in Molding, too.," Plastic Technology Online Article, pp. 1-6.
- Ahn, D. G., Kim, H. W. and Lee, K. Y., 2009, "Design of the Thermally Conductive Mould to Improve Cooling Characteristics of Injection Mould for a Mouse," Transactions of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers A, Vol. 33, No. 3, pp. 201-209. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2009.33.3.201