- Volume 35 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Modeling of Cooling Channels of Injection Mould using Functionally Graded Material
기능성 경사 복합재를 이용한 사출금형의 냉각회로 모델링
- Shin, Ki-Hoon (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology)
- 신기훈 (서울과학기술대학교 기계공학과)
- Received : 2011.06.21
- Accepted : 2011.08.22
- Published : 2011.12.01
The cycle time in injection moulding greatly depends on the cooling time of the plastic part that is controlled by cooling channels. Cooling channels are required to facilitate the heat transfer rate from the die to the coolant without reducing the strength of the die. Employing layered manufacturing techniques (LMT), a die embedding conformal cooling channels can be fabricated directly while conventional cooling channels are usually made of straight drilled hole. Meanwhile, H13 tool steel is widely used as the die material because of its high thermal resistance and dimensional stability. However, H13 with a low thermal conductivity is not efficient for certain part geometries. In this context, the use of functionally graded materials (FGMs) between H13 and copper may circumvent a tradeoff between the strength and the heat transfer rate. This paper presents a method for modeling of conformal cooling channels made of FGMs.
Conformal Cooling Channel;Layered Manufacturing Technology;Functionally Graded Materials
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Shin, K. H., Natu, H., Dutta, D. and Mazumder, J. , 2003, "A Method for the Design and Fabrication of Heterogeneous Objects," Materials & Design, Vol. 24, No. 5, pp. 339-353. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-3069(03)00060-8
- Fessler, J., Nickel, A., Link, G., Prinz, F. and Fussell, P., 1997, "Functional Gradient Metallic Prototypes through Shape Deposition Manufacturing," Solid Freeform Fabrication Proceedings, Austin, TX, pp. 521-528.
- Cho, W., Sachs, E. M., Patrikalakis, N. M. and Troxel, D. E., 2003, "A Dithering Algorithm for Local Composition Control with Three-Dimensional Printing," Computer Aided Design, Vol. 35, No. 9, pp. 851-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0010-4485(02)00122-7
- Beal, V. E., Erasenthiran, P., Hopkinson, N., Dickens, P. and Ahrens, C. H., 2006, "The Effect of Scanning Strategy on Laser Fusion of Functionally Graded H13/Cu Materials," International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 30, pp. 844-852. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-005-0130-x
- Shin, K. H. and Lee, J. K., 2006, "CSG-based Representation for Free-form Heterogeneous Ojbect Modeling," Transactions of the Society of CAD/CAM Engineers, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 235-234.
- Tang, C., Chassapis, C. and Manoochehri, 1997, "Optimal Cooling System Design for Multi-Cavity Injection Moulding," Finite Element in Analysis and Design, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 229-251. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-874X(96)00083-2
- Li. C. L., 2001, "A Feature-Based Approach to Injection Mould Cooling System Design," Computer- Aided Design, Vol. 33, pp. 1073-1090. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0010-4485(00)00144-5
- Ahn, D. G., Kim H. W., and Lee K. Y., 2009, "Design of the Thermally Conductive Mould to Improve Cooling Characteristics of Injection Mould for a Mouse," Transactions of the KSME A, Vol. 33, No. 3, pp. 201-209. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2009.33.3.201
- Ahn, D. G. and Kim, H. W., 2010, "Study on the Manufacture of a Thermal Management Mould with Three Different Materials Using a Direct Metal Tooling Rapid Tooling Process," Proceedings of the institution o f Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, Vol. 224, No. B3, pp. 385-402. https://doi.org/10.1243/09544054JEM1523
- Shin, K. H., 2011, "Modeling of Time-variant Heterogeneous Objects in Micro-system Packages," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 25, No. 5, pp. 1119-1128. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-011-0227-0
- Bhashyam, S., Shin, K. H. and Dutta, D., 2000, "An Integrated CAD System for Design of Heterogeneous Objects," Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 6, pp. 119-135. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552540010323547
- Incropera, F. P. and DeWitt D. P., 1996, Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer 4th Edition, John Wiley & Sons, New York, pp. 443-449.
- Property Estimation of Functionally Graded Materials Between M2 Tool Steel and Cu Fabricated by Powder Metallurgy vol.38, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2014.38.9.953