- Volume 35 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Heat Treatment on Different Materials during Laser Surface Hardening of Cast Iron for Die
금형재료용 주철의 레이저 표면경화처리시 재료에 따른 열처리 특성
- Kim, Jong-Do (Division of Marine Engineering, Korea Maritime Univ.) ;
- Song, Moo-Keun (Graduate School, Korea Maritime Univ.) ;
- Hwang, Hyun-Tae (Automotive Parts Innovation Center)
- Received : 2011.07.04
- Accepted : 2011.09.02
- Published : 2011.12.01
Surface hardening treatment is required to improve the wear-resistance of press die because severe abrasion of die occurs during the drawing process in which the forming of the automotive body is completed and during the trimming process in which the unnecessary parts are cut. In this study, experiments on the laser surface treatment of press die are performed. Specimens are heat-treated separately at certain plate and edge position by using a diode laser to carry out suitable surface hardening treatment to reduce the wear during the drawing and the trimming processes, and the proper conditions for heat treatment are found. Spheroidal and flake graphite cast iron specimens are used, and the heat treatment characteristics of the two materials are compared. From the results of the study, it is confirmed that the heat treatment characteristics differed depending on the materials.
Surface Hardening Treatment;Wear Resistance;Spheroidal and Flake Graphite Cast Iron;Hardness
Supported by : 정보통신진흥원
- Gagne, M., 2004, The Sorelmetal Book of Ductile Iron, Rio Tinto Iron & Titanium Inc.
- Kang, M.S. and Park, H.S., "A Study on the Mechanical Properties of Austempered Low-Alloy Ductile Cast Iron," Trans. of the KSME, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 1296-1302
- Smith, W.F., 1993, Structure and Properties of Engineering Alloys, McGraw-Hill, Inc.
- Holmgren, D., Dioszegi, A. and Svensson, I.L., 2007, "Effects of Nodularity on Thermal Conductivity of Cast Iron," International Journal of Cast metals Research, Vol. 20, No. 1
- Sandven, O. A., "Laser Surface Hardening," ASM Handbook, Vol. 4, pp. 286-295
- Chen, T.L., Guan, Y.H., Wang, H.G. and Zhang, J.T., 1997, "A Study on Austenite Transformation during Laser Heating," Journal of Material Processing Technology, Vol. 63, pp. 546-549 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(96)02680-5
- Li, L., 2000, "The Advances and Characteristics of High Power Diode Laser Materials Processing," Optics and Laser in Engineering Vol.34, pp. 231-253 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-8166(00)00066-X
- Pashby, I.R., Barnes, S. and Bryden, B.G., 2003, "Surface Hardening of Steel Using a High Power Diode Laser," Journal of Materials Processing Technology Vol. 139, pp. 585-588 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(03)00509-0
- Kennedy, E., Byrne, G. and Collins, D.N., 2004, "A Review of the Use of High Power Diode Lasers in Surface Hardening," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, pp. 1855-1860
- Ehlers, B., Herfurth, H. and Heinemann, S., 1998, "Surface Hardening with High Power Diode Laser," ICALEO-Section G, pp. 75-84.