- Volume 20 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Chemical Treatment of the PCBs-laden Transformer Insulation Oil
PCBs 함유 변압기 절연유의 화학적처리
- Ryoo, Keon-Sang (Department of Applied Chemistry, Andong National University) ;
- Choi, Jong-Ha (Department of Applied Chemistry, Andong National University) ;
- Choi, Jin-Whan (Haksan Metal Industry)
- Received : 2011.10.17
- Accepted : 2011.11.22
- Published : 2011.11.30
Practical disposal of transformer insulation oil laden with PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls) by a chemical treatment has been studied in field work. The transformer insulation oil containing PCBs was treated by the required amounts of PEG (polyethylene glycol) and KOH, along with different reaction conditions such as temperatures and times. The reaction of PEG with PCBs under basic condition produces arylpolyglycols, the products of nucleophilic aromatic substitution. Removal efficiencies of PCBs in insulation oil before and after chemical treatment were examined. The removal efficiency of PCBs was very low at lower temperatures of 25 and
Supported by : 산학협동재단
- 이상훈, 서광국, 2005, 잔류성 유기오염물질 분해 처리 기술 현황, Clean Technology, 11(1), 29-39.
- Gschwend, P. M., Wu, S., 1985, On the constancy of sediment-water partition coefficients of hydrophobic organic pollutants, Environ. Sci. Technol., 19, 90-96. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00131a011
- Liu, X., Yu, G., 2006, Combined effect of microwave and activated carbon on the remediation of polychlorinated biphenyl-contaminated soil, Chemosphere, 63, 228-235. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2005.08.030
- Manzano, M. A., Peralers, J. A., Sales, D., Quiroga, J. M., 2004, Using solar and ultraviolet light to degrade PCBs in sand and transformer oils, Chemosphere, 57, 645-654. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2004.07.014
- Ning, H., Myers, T. E., 2002, PCB removal from contaminated dredged material, Chemosphere, 46, 477-484. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(01)00078-9
- PCBs 환경연구회, 2007, PCBs 이해와 대응, 학술진흥재단 PCBs 환경연구회, 5-12.
- Ryoo, K. S., Kapila, S., Puri, R. K., Yanders, A. F., Elseewi, A. A., 1992, Evaluation of carbon for removal of PCBs from transformer mineral oils, Chemosphere, 25, 1569-1575. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-6535(92)90186-U
- Schulz, D. E., Petrick, G., Uuinker, J. C., 1989, Complete characterization of polychlorinated biphenyls congeners in commercial Aroclor and Clophen mixtures by multidimensional gas chromatographyelectron capture detection, Environ. Sci. Technol., 23, 852-859. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00065a015
- Sedlak, D. L., Andren, A. W., 1991, Aqueous-phase oxidation of polychlorinated biphenyls by hydroxyl radicals, Environ. Sci. Technol., 25, 1419-1427. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00020a009
- Sun, Y., Takaoka, M., Takeda, N., Matsumoto, T., Oshita, K., 2006, Kinetics on the decomposition of polychlorinated biphenyls with activated carbonsupported iron, 2006, 65, 183-189. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2006.03.009
- World Health Organization (WHO), 2000, Air quality guideline, Copenhagen, 2, 1-21.
- Wu, W., Xu, J., Zhao, H., Zhang, Q., Liao, S., 2005, A practical approach to the degradation of polychlorinated biphenyls in transformer oil, Chemosphere, 60, 944-950. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2004.11.079