- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Thermotherapy Combined with Aromatherapy on Pain, Flexibility, Sleep, and Depression in Elderly Women with Osteoarthritis
라벤더향유를 이용한 온습포법이 무릎관절염 여성노인의 통증, 무릎유연성, 수면 및 우울에 미치는 효과
- Hwang, Jin-Hee (Department of Nursing, GyeongNam Provincial Geochang College) ;
- Lee, Sun-Ok (Department of Nursing, Silla University) ;
- Kim, Yeong-Kyeong (Catholic University of Pusan, College of Nursing)
- Received : 2011.10.20
- Accepted : 2011.11.14
- Published : 2011.11.30
Purpose: This study examined the effects of heat therapy combined with aromatherapy on pain, flexibility, sleep, and depression in elderly women with osteoarthritis. Methods: This study was designed as a nonequivalent control group quasi-experimental study based upon data acquired through a pre-post test. The experimental group (n=21) was treated using an aroma-permeated hot compress applied to the knee. The cotton towel was heated in a microwave to
- An, J. Y. & Tak, Y. R. (2009). Depressive symptoms and related risk factors in old and oldest-old elderly people with arthritis. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 39, 72-83. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.1.72
- Arbus, C. & Cochen, V. (2010). Sleep changes with aging. Psychologie & neuropsychiatrie du vieillissement, 8, 7-14.
- Baker, K. R. & McAlindon, T. (2000). Exercise for knee osteoarthritis. Current Opinion in Rheumatism, 12(5), 456-463.
- Brooks, P. M. (2002). Impact of osteoarthritis on individuals and society: How much disability? Social consequences and health economic implications. Current Opinion in Rheumatism, 14(5), 573-577. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002281-200209000-00017
- Buckle, J. (2003). Clinical aromatherapy(2nd ed. New York: Churchill Livingstone, 217-224.
- Chang, C. H. (1996). Rheumatic arthritis. Seoul: Hwasanmunhwa.
- Choi, I. R. (2006). Effects of aromatherapy massage on pain, physical function, sleep disturbance and depression in elderly women with osteoarthritis. Korean Journal of Women's Health Nursing, 12(2), 168-176.
- Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for behavioral sciences. New York: Academic Press.
- Fielden, J. M., Gander, P. H., Horne, J. G., Fraces, M., Lewer, B. M., Green, R. M., & Devane, P. A. (2003). An assessment of sleep disturbance in patient before and after total hip arthroplasty. The Journal of Arthroplasty, 18(3). 371-376. https://doi.org/10.1054/arth.2003.50056
- Han, S. H., Nam, E. S., Uhm, D. C., Kim, K. S., Paek, S. I., & Park, S. H. (2010). Effects of aromatherapy on pain and inflammatory responses in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. The Journal of Muscle Joint Health, 17(1), 25-34. https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2010.17.1.025
- Hong, S. K. & Kang, H. Y. (1999). The effect on the pain, discomfort in daily living and life satisfaction of flexibility exercise and local heat in rural elderly with osteoarthritis. Journal of Rheumatology Health, 6(2), 197-210.
- Huang, M. H., Lin, Y. S., Yang, R. C., & Lee, C. L. (2003). A comparison of various therapeutic exercises on the functional status of patients with knee osteoarthritis. Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, 32(6), 398-406. https://doi.org/10.1053/sarh.2003.50021
- Jo, O. S. (2010). A study on sleep quality and geriatric depression in the elderly between hospital and senior welfare center. Unpublished master's thesis, Soonchunhyang University, Asan.
- Kang, H. S. (1995). A Comparative study on the effectiveness of symptom control between heat and cold therapy in patients with arthritis. Journal of Rheumatology Health, 2(2), 147-159.
- Kim, I. J. & Kim, E. K. (2009). Effects of aroma massage on pain, activities of daily living and fatigue in patients with knee osteoarthritis. The Journal of Muscle Joint Health, 16(2), 145-153.
- Kim, J. H. & Han, T. R. (1999). Rehabilitation Medicine. Seoul: KoonJa Publisher.
- Kim, M. J., Nam, E. S., & Paik, S. I. (2005). The effects of aromatherapy on pain, depression, and life satisfaction of arthritis patients. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 35(1), 186-194. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.1.186
- Kim, S. H., Kim, M. H., & Kim J. S. (2003). Effects of heat therapy according to the appliction time among the elderly with osteoarthritis. Journal of Rheumatology Health, 10(1), 7-18.
- Korean Institute for Health and Social Affairs (2006). htttp;//www.kihasa.re.kr/html/jsp/
- Korean Nurses Association (2002). Aromatherapist (a foundation course). Seoul: Korean Nurses Association.
- Lee, Y. J. (2003). The effects of lavender aromatherapy on sleep and depression of elderly. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Chungnam National University, Daejeon.
- Lim, N. Y. (1995). A study on comparisons of the effect of local heat and cold therapy on the symptoms of the arthritic knee joint. Journal of Rheumatology Health, 2(1), 73-86.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare.(2009). Public health and nutrition. Seoul: Ministry of Health & Welfare
- Park, J. E., Kim, M. A., & Oh, D. H. (2008). The effect of aroma-therapy combined with heat application on the pain, range of motion of lower limb joint, and discomfort of activities of daily living among patient with rheumatoid arthritis. Journal of Korean Academy of Adult Nursing, 29(6), 839-850.
- Seo, S. H. & Chang, S. Y. (2009). Effects of aroma hand massage on sleep, depression an quality of life in the institutionalized Elderly women. Korean Journal of Women's Health Nursing, 15(4), 372-380. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.4.372
- Sharma, L. (2002). Nonpharmacologic management of osteoarthritis. Current Opinion in Rheumatism, 14(5), 603-607. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002281-200209000-00022
- The Effects of Aromatherapy on Sleep Improvement: A Systematic Literature Review and Meta-Analysis vol.21, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2014.0113