- Volume 18 Issue 2
Purpose: The purpose of the study was to identify the effects for 4-weeks muscle strengthening exercise program on pain, fatigue, and physical function(muscle strength of leg, walking competence, balance, flexibility of patella) in elderly women with total knee arthroplasty(TKA). Method: Utilizing a quasi-experimental design, 30 TKA patients consisted of the experimental group (n=15) and control group (n=15). The experimental group participated in the muscle strengthening exercise program, twice a day for 4 weeks. Data were analyzed with SPSS WIN 18.0 program, using repeated measure ANOVA. Result: As time goes by, There were significant differences in muscle strength of leg (F=6.60, p<.001), walking competence(F=7.15, p<.001), and balance(F=17.55, p<.001) between the experimental and the control groups. Conclusion: The findings of this study revealed the positive effects of muscle strengthening exercise program in elderly women with TKA.
- Bae, S. O. (2004). The effects of tai-chi exercise program on flexibility of lower extremities, muscle strength, and mood of elderly person suffering with osteoarthritis. Unpublished master's thesis, Busan Catholic University, Busan.
- Bonica, J. J. (1979). The need of taxonomy. Pain, 6, 247-248. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(79)90046-0
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2008). Osteoarthritis. Retrieved November 11, 2008, from http://www.cdc.gov/arthritis/osteoarthritis.htm
- Cho, G. J. (2003). Physical education method of measurement. Seoul: Daehanmedia.
- Cho, S. H., Ha, Y. C., Song, H. R., Jeong, S. T., Pack, H. B., Hwang, S. C., & Kim, J. S. (2004). High flex knee arthroplasty and range of motion. Journal of the Korean Orthopaedic Association, 39(6), 662-667.
- Cho, W. S., Park, J. H., Kim, J. M., Hwang, W. Y., & Nam, T. S. (2003). Factors affecting range of motion after total knee arthroplasty. Journal of the Korean Orthopaedic Association, 38(7), 683-688.
- Cho, W. S., Youm, Y. S., & Yang, B. S. (2007). The causes of revision total knee arthroplasty. Journal of the Korean Orthopaedic Association, 42(2), 216-220. https://doi.org/10.4055/jkoa.2007.42.2.216
- Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd Ed.). Lawrence Erlbaum Associates: Hillsdale, New Jersey.
- Coutts, R. D., Cindy, T., & Kaita, J. H. (1984). The role of continuous passive motion in rehabilitation of total knee patients, total knee arthroplasty. A comprehensive approach.. Hungerford, D. S., Krackow, K. A., & Kenna, R. (eds). Williams and Wilkinins, Baltimore, 126-132.
- Eom, S. B. (2008). A study on the effect of exercise training program on the function of a total hip in a patient with a total hip replacement after a surgery. Unpublished master's thesis, Kangwon National University, Chuncheon.
- Han, J. H. (2010). Effectiveness of 8 weeks of application of aqua complexed exercise on lower limbs muscular strength, pain relief and balance after total knee arthroplasty. Unpublished master's thesis, Korea University, Seoul.
- Hong, E. J. (2007). The effects on 8-week exercise program on functional status of knee joints, muscular strength, flexibility and balance in elderly women with knee osteoarthritis. Unpublished master's thesis, Konyang University, Nonsan.
- Jeong, Y. H. & Kim, J. H. (2002). An effect of health promotion program on health behavior, perceived health status and life satisfaction in the elderly. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 14(3),327-336.
- Jun, S. J., Choi, G. S., & Ko, S. K. (2005). The Effect of rehabilitation training on knee muscular strength and function recovery after total knee arthroplasty. Korea Sport Research, 16(4), 441-448.
- Kang, M. K. (2010). Impact of 12-week complex exercise on degenerative knee joint pain, physical function and physical fitness in elderly women. Unpublished master's thesis, Kookmin University, Seoul.
- Kim, H. N. (2008). The effects of structured education program for total knee replacement patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Eulji University, Daejeon.
- Kim, K. S., Yu, J. A., Kim, J. A., Lee, Y. S., & Lee, I. O. (2010). Effects of Tai-chi exercise and self-help management program applying laughter therapy in patients with osteoarthritis. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 17(1), 68-78. https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2010.17.1.068
- Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs. (2006). 2005 National health and nutrition survey. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- Lee, E. N.(2001). Effects of brisk walking and muscle strengthening exercise using Thera-band on pain, fatigue, physical function, and disease activity in patients wiyh rheumatoid arthritis. The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing, 4(1), 84-93.
- Lee, K. S., Choi, J. S., Lee, E. H., Suh, G. H., So, A. Y., & Choi, S. H. (2007). Effects of the self-help program on pain, fatigue, difficulty in physical activity, joint stiffness, flexibility of the joints in arthritis patients. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 14(1), 26-32.
- MacDonald, S. J., Bourne, R. B., Rorabeck, C. H., Malden, R. W., Kramer, J., & Vaz, M. (2000). Prospective randomized clinical trail of continuous passive motion after total knee arthroplasty. Clinical Orthopedics and Related Research, 380(1), 30-35. https://doi.org/10.1097/00003086-200011000-00005
- Park, H. O. & Park, K. S. (1996). A study on experiences of total knee replacement in patients with osteoarthritis. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 3(2), 135-150.
- Shin, J. Y. (2011). The effect of rehabilitation program on pain, ROM of the knee joint, and mobility in elderly with total knee arthroplasty. Unpublished master's thesis, Dongeui University, Busan.
- Stitik, T. P., Kaplan, R. J., Kamen, L. B., Vo, A. N., Bitar, A. A., & Shih, V. C. (2005). Rehabilitation of orthopedic and rheumatologic disorders. 2 Osteoarthritis assessment, treatment, and rehabilitation. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 86(3), 48-55.
- Sung, H. R., Yang, J. H., & Kang, M. S. (2006). Effects of Tai Chi Chuan exercise on UPDRS, function fitness, BDI and QOL in patients with parkinson's disease. The Korean Journal of Physical Education, 45(6), 583-590.
- The Korean Orthopedic Association (Eds). (2006). Orthopedics (6rd ed.). Seoul: New medicals Pub.
- Yoo, M. C. (1995). New perspectives of treatment of osteoarthritis. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 2(2), 227-229
- Yoon, M. N. (2008). A study on the effects of exercise program for total knee arthroplasty patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Kyunghee University, Seoul.
- 1. Factors Influencing Exercise Compliance among Older Adults vol.19, pp.2, 2012, doi:10.5953/JMJH.2011.18.2.203
- 2. Effects of Motivational Interviewing Intervention for Patients with Total Knee Replacement vol.23, pp.3, 2016, doi:10.5953/JMJH.2011.18.2.203
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 동아대학교