- Volume 39 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Metabolic Fate of Phenylalanine in the Corn Smut Fungus Ustilago maydis
옥수수 깜부기균에 의한 페닐알라닌의 대사적 분해
- Hyun, Min-Woo (Department of Microbiology and Institute of Basic Sciences, Dankook University) ;
- Kim, Seong-Hwan (Department of Microbiology and Institute of Basic Sciences, Dankook University)
- Received : 2011.10.31
- Accepted : 2011.11.04
- Published : 2011.12.01
Cetecol has been known as a component of melanin in teliospores of the corn smut fungus Ustilago maydis. Its metabolic precursor has been assumed to be benzoic acid but it has not been proven yet. This study was carried out to verify the synthesis of benzoic acid and to chase its metabolic origin in U. maydis. For this aim, the catabolic process of phenylalanine was investigated by culturing the fungus in the complete medium containing L-
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Agrios, G. N. 1988. The smuts. pp. 474-486 in: Plant Pathology. 3rd ed. Academic Press, Inc., San Diego.
- Allina, S. M., Pri-Hadash, A., Theilmann, D. A., Ellis, B. E. and Douglas, C. J. 1998. 4-coumarate:coenzyme A ligase in hybrid poplar; properties of native enzymes, cDNA cloning, and analysis of recombinant enzymes. Plant Physiol. 116:743-754. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.116.2.743
- Douglas, C. J. 1996. Phenylpropanoid metabolism and lignin biosynthesis: from weeds to trees. Trends Plant Sci. 1:171-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/1360-1385(96)10019-4
- Hahlbrock K. and Scheel, D. 1989. Physiology and molecular biology of phenylpropanoid metabolism. Ann. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol. 40:347-369. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.pp.40.060189.002023
- Holliday, R. 1974. Handbook of Genetics. Ed. by King, RC, p.575. Pleum, New York.
- Kim, S. H., Kronstad, J. W. and Ellis, B. E. 1996. Purification and characterization of phenylanine ammonia-lyase from Ustilago maydis. Phytochemistry 34:351-357.
- Kim, S. H., Kronstad, J. W. and Ellis, B. E. 2001a. Cloning and disruption of a gene from Ustilago maydis. Current Genetics 40:40-48. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002940100230
- Kim, S. H., Kronstad, J. W. and Ellis, B. E. 2001b. Induction of phenylalanine ammonia-lyase activity by tryptophan in Ustilago maydis. Phytochemistry 58:849-857. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9422(01)00327-2
- Park, Y. M., Yoon, M. Y., Kim K., W., Cho, N. Y., Lim, H. W., Lee, J. Y., Lee, J. H., Kim Y., J., Kim, J. C. and Sim, S. S. 2003. Effects of phenylpropanoid compounds on melanin production in B16 melanoma cells. Yakhak Hoeji 47:398-403.
- Piattelli, M., Fattorusso, E., Nicolaus, R. A. and Magno, S. 1965. The structure of melanins and melanogenesis. Tetrahedron 21:3229-3236. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0040-4020(01)96941-8
- Pritchard, N. J. and Bell, A. A. 1967. Relative activity of germination inhibitors from spores of rust and smut fungi. Phytopathology 57:932-934.
- Yalpani, N., Leon, J., Lawton, M. and Raskin, I. 1993. Pathway of salicylic acid biosynthesis in healthy and virus-inoculated tobacco. Plant Physiol. 103:315-321. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.103.2.315
- Yoshida, S. 1969. Biosynthesis and conversion of aromatic amino acids in plants. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. 20:41-62. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.pp.20.060169.000353