- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Usability of Augmented Reality Picture Book for Young Children
유아를 위한 증강현실 그림책에 대한 사용성 연구
- Received : 2011.09.01
- Accepted : 2011.10.14
- Published : 2011.12.28
This study was conducted to evaluate the usability of augmented reality (AR) picture book for young children. The participants of this study were 17 five-year-olds attending to M kindergarten in Korea. The measurement of the usability was conducted by observation and interviews during and after children's AR picture book reading 1) usability test score such as task completed that is, reading the AR picturebook successfully, 2) children's behaviors in the process of reading the book, 3) children's response to the questions asking the level of satisfaction with the AR picture book. The result of study showed that most of children could read the AR successfully adjusting the distance and angle of AR picture book to web-camera's location. And children showed verbal and nonverbal expression such as surprise, joy, questions and frustration in reading the book. Children told that AR picture book is fun and easy to read. This study would provide the implications for the interface development and adult-child book reading of AR picture books.
Augmented Reality;Augmented Reality Picture book;Usability;Young Children;Picture Book
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- 김영옥, "증강현실 기술이 접목된 그림책으로 보는 상상력의 진화", 인문콘텐츠, 제19권, pp.465-489, 2010.
- C. Marshall, "Reading and Interactivity in the Digital Library: Creating an Experience that Transcends Paper," Proceedings of CLIR/Kanazawa Institute of Technology Roundtable, 2005.
- 조재준, 조옥희, 윤길성, 이원형, "증강현실 기술을 통한 홀로그래픽 이미지", 한국컴퓨터게임 학회 논문지, 제17권, pp.111-118, 2009.
- J. McKenzie and D. Darnel, "The eyeMagic Book. A Report into Augmented Reality," New Zealand Centre for Children's Literature and Christchurch College of Education, pp.1-57, 2004.
- R. Grasset, A. Dunser, and M. Billinghurs, "The Design of a Mixed- Reality Book: Is It Still a Real Book?," Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality, pp.15-18, 2008.
- R. Grasset, A. Dunser, and M. Billinghurst, "Edutainment with a Mixed Reality Book: a VisuallyAugmented Illustrative Children's Book," Proceedings of International Conference on Advances in Computer Entertainment Technology, pp.3-5, 2008.
- A. Dunser and E. Hornecker, "Supporting Early Literacy with Augmented Books: Experiences with an Exploratory Study," Proceedings of German Society of Informatics Annual Conference, pp.1-5, 2007.
- A. Dunser, R. Grasset, H. Seichter, and M. Billinghurst, "Applying HCI Principles to AR Systems Design," Proceedings of Mixed Reality User Interfaces, pp.37-42, 2007.
- A, Dünser and E. Hornecker, "Lessons from an AR Book study," Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Tangible and Embedded Interaction, pp.179-182, 2007.
- B. Shelton, "Augmented Reality and Education: Current Projects and the Potential for Classroom Learning," New Horizons for Learning, Vol.9, No.3, pp.1-5, 2002.
- T. Tullis and B. Albert, Measuring User Experience, Morgan Kaufmann, 2008.
- 장상현, 계보경 , "증강현실 콘텐츠의 교육적 적용", 한국콘텐츠학회지, 제5권, 제2호, pp.79-85, 2007.
- 정진명, "파워포인트 동화 활용 제시 방법이 유아의 주의집중과 컴퓨터 흥미도에 미치는 효과", 아동연구, 제15권, 제1호, pp.159-180, 2001.
- 픽토 스튜디오, "애코와 친구들", 상상스쿨, 2010.