- Volume 11 Issue 12
The personality types has been emphasized as one of the influential factors for the program selection by viewers in the multi-channel and multimedia era. However, there have been few empirical studies on this issue. The current study investigated how the audience personality influence the program preference. Specifically, this study focused on both need for cognition and sensation seeking which are related to the television viewing motivation. To examine the influence of personality on program preference, four types of drama and five types of entertainment programs were used. The results of the web survey showed that viewers personality type seem to have effect on their program preference. Indeed, it appeared that there was positive relationship between need for cognition and sensation seeking. The implications of this study's findings were discussed.
Program Preference;Need for Ccognition;Sensation Seeking
Supported by : 상지대학교
- 하주용, 유승관, "지상파 디지털 방송의 콘텐츠와 채널 운영", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제8권, 제5호, pp.176-183, 2008.
- 전종건, "종합편성 도입에 따른 지역 지상파 방송", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제11권, 제1호, pp.192-209, 2011.
- 황성연, "시청선택에 영향을 미치는 요인에 관한 연구: 구조적 요인, 시청자 특성, 프로그램 품질평가의 통합분석을 중심으로", 한국방송학보, 제19 권, 제4호, pp.644-687, 2005.
- 심미선, 한진만, "프라임타임대 지상파 텔레비전 프로그램 선택에 영향을 미치는 요인에 관한 연구", 한국언론학보, 제46권, 제4호, pp.177-216, 2002.
- M. Tavakoli and M. Cave, "Modelling Television Viewing Patterns," J of Advertising, Vol.25, pp.71-86, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.1996.10673513
- G. J. Webster, "Audience Behavior in the New Media Environment," J of Communication, Vol.36, pp.77-91, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2466.1986.tb01439.x
- G. J. Webster and J. Wakshlag, "A Theory of Television Program Choice," Communication Research, Vol.10, pp.430-446, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1177/009365083010004002
- 주영호, 황성연, "뉴미디어 환경에서 프로그램 선택모델 변화에 관한 연구: 텔레비전 프로그램 선택 모델의 탐색과 변형", 동서언론, 제10권, pp.43-67, 2006.
- P. Palmgreen, L. Wenner, and K. Rosengreen, "Use and Gratifications Research: The Past Ten Years," In K. Rosengreen, L. Wenner and P. Palmgreen (Eds.), Media gratifications research: current perspectives, pp.11-40, Sage, 1985.
- J. B. III. Weaver, "Personality and Entertai nment Preference," In D. Zillmann and P. Vorde rer(Eds.), Media Entertainment: The Psychology of Its Appeal, pp.235-248, Lawrence Erlbaum, 2000.
- R. L. Nabi and K. Riddle, "Personality Traits, Television viewing, and the Cultivation Effect," J of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, Vol.52, pp.327-348, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/08838150802205181
- S. R. McDaniel, "Sensation Seeking and the Consumption of Televised Sports," In L/ J. Shrum(Ed.), Blurring the Lines Between Entertainment and Persuasion: The Psychology of Entertainment Media, pp.323-335, Lawrence Erlbaum, 2004.
- G. Rowland, G. Fouts, and T. Heatherton, "Television Viewing and Sensation Seeking: Uses, Preference and Attitudes," Personality and Individual Differences, Vo.10, pp.1003-1006, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1016/0191-8869(89)90066-4
- K. Greene and M. Krcmar, "Predicting Exposure to and Liking of Media Violence: A Uses and Gratification Approach," Communication Studies, Vol.56, No.1, pp.71-93, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1080/0008957042000332250
- R. P. Hawkins, S. Pingree, J. Hitchon, B. W. Gorham, P. Kannaovakun, E. Gilligan, B. Radler, G. H. Kolbeins, and T. Schmidt, "Predicting Selection and Activity in Television Genre Viewing," Media Psychology, Vol.3, pp.237-263, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1207/S1532785XMEP0303_02
- E. Perse, "Sensation Seeking and the Use of Television for Arousal," Communication Reports, Vol.9, pp.37-48, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1080/08934219609367633
- A. R. Cohen, E. Stotland, and D. M. Wolfe, "An Experimental Investigation of Need for Cognition," J of Abnormal & Social Psychology, Vol.51, pp.291-294, 1955. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0042761
- J. T. Cacioppo and R. E. Petty, "The Need for Cognition," J of Personality & Social Psychology, Vol.42, pp.116-131, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.11
- J. T. Cacioppo, R. E. Petty, J. A. Feinstein, and W. B. Jarvis, "Dispositional Differences in Cognitive Motivation: The Life and Times of Individuals Varying in Need for Cognition," Psychological Bulletin, Vol.119, pp.197-253, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.119.2.197
- 김무곤, 강재원, 정용국, "시청자의 개인적 특성이 양방향 광고의 평가, 태도, 상호작용 행동에 미치는 영향", 언론과학연구, 제9권, 제2호, pp.77-124, 2009.
- C. P. Haugtvedt, R. E. Petty, and J. T. Cacioppo, "Need for Cognition and Advertising: Understanding the Role of Personality Variables in Consumer Behavior," J of Consumer Psychology, Vol.1, pp.239-260, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1057-7408(08)80038-1
- B. A. S. Martin, M. J. Sherrard, and D. Wentzel, "The Role of Sensation Seeking and Need for Cognition on Web-site Evaluations: A Resource-matching Perspective," Psychology & Marketing, Vol.22, pp.109-126, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20050
- M. A. Ferguson, M. Chung, and M. Weigold, "Need for Cognition and the Medium Dependency Components, Relevance and Exposure," Paper presen ted to International Communication Association, Honolulu. 1985.
- K. Hallahan, "Need for Cognition as Motivation to Process Publicity and Advertising," J of Promotion Management, Vol.14, pp.169-194, 2008.
- B. Henning and P. Vorderer, "Psychological Escapism: Predicting the Amount of Television Viewing by Need for Cognition," J of Communication, Vol.51, pp.100-120, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2466.2001.tb02874.x
- E. Perse, "Predicting Attention to Local Television News: Need for Cognition and Motives for Viewing," Communication Reports, Vol.5, pp.40-49, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1080/08934219209367542
- V. Price and S. Allen, "The Need for Cognition, Political Surveillance and Media Exposure," Paper presented to the Association for Education in Journalism & Mass Communicat ion conference, Washington, DC. 1989.
- M. Zuckerman, Behavioral Expressions of Biosocial Bases of Sensation Seeking, Cambridge University Press, 1994.
- M. T. Stephenson and P. Palmgreen, "Sensation Seeking, Perceived Message Sensation Value, Perso nal Involvement and Processing of Anti-marijuana PSAs," Communication Monographs, Vol.68, pp.49-71, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1080/03637750128051
- M. Zuckerman, Sensation-seeking: Beyond the Optimal Level of Arousal, Lawrence Erlbaum. 1979.
- Z. Bagdasarov, K. Greene, S. C. Banerjee, M., Krcmar, I. Yanovitzky, and D. Ruginyte, "I am what I watch: Voyeurism, Sensation Seeking and Television Viewing Patterns," J of Broad casting & Electronic Media, Vol.54, No.2, pp.299-315, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1080/08838151003734995
- L. Donohew, E. P. Lorch, and P. Palmgreen, "Applications of a Theoretic Model of Informa tion Exposure to Health Interventions," Human Communication Research, Vol.24, No.3, pp.454-468, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2958.1998.tb00425.x
- L. Donohew, P. Palmgreen, and J. Duncan, "An Activation Model of Information Exposure," Communication Monographs, Vol.47, No.4, pp.295-303, 1980.
- J. C. Conway and A. M. Rubin, "Psychological Predictors of Television Viewing Motivation," Communication Research, Vol.18, No.4, pp.443-463, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1177/009365091018004001
- R. Potts, A. Dedmon, and J. Halford, "Sensation Seeking, Television Viewing Motives, and Home Television Viewing Patterns," Personality and Individual Differences, Vol.21, pp.1081-1084, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(96)00127-4
- E. C. Hirschman, "Consumer Preferences in Literature, Motion Pictures and Television Programs," Empirical Studies of the Arts, Vol.5, pp.31-46, 1987. https://doi.org/10.2190/3C9D-4VF6-V7NT-HBPW
- L. L. Nolan and S. J. Patterson, "The Active Audience: Personality Types as an Indicator of TV Program Preference," J of Social Behavior & Personality, Vol.5, pp.697-710, 1990.
- S. R. McDaniel, "Reconsidering the Relationship between Sensation Seeking and Audience Preference for Viewing Televised Sports," J of Sport Management, Vol.17, pp.13-36, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsm.17.1.13
- M. J. Schierman and G. L. Rowland, "Sensation Seeking and Selection of Entertainment," Personality and Individual Differences, Vol.6, pp.599-603, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1016/0191-8869(85)90009-1
- J. W. Roberti, "A Review of Behavioral and Biological Correlation of Sensation Seeking," J of Research in Personality, Vol.38, pp.256-279, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-6566(03)00067-9
- 박정향, "수용자의 인지욕구 및 광고메시지 유형이 기업광고의 효과에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구", 계명대학교 대학원 석사학위논문, 1997.
- R. H. Hoyle, M. T. Stephenson, P. Palmgreen, E. P. Lorch, and R. L. Donohow, "Reliability and Validity of a Brief Measure of Sensation Seeking," Personality & Individual Difference, Vol.32, pp.401-414, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(01)00032-0
- 홍숙영, "가상 리얼리티 프로그램의 장르적 특성", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제10권, 제1호, pp.202-212. 2009. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2010.10.1.202