- Volume 11 Issue 12
This study aims to develop the stance-control typed 4-bar linkage orthotic knee joint that replace the locked orthotic knee joint for the disabled with poliomyelitis and muscle weakness of lower limb. Unlike the existing stance-control orthotic knee joint, there are no needs of electric power, connecting circuit, bulky compomnets, etc, because this 4-bar linkage orthotic knee joint is controled by geometric locking. To evaluate the 4-bar linkage orthotic knee joint, a subject participated in this study who has been diagnosed with lower limb poliomyelitis and have used locked type orthotic knee joint. In the results of analysis of subject's gait using 3-dimentional motion analysis system, this 4-bar linkage orthotic knee joint provide the stability during stance phase and knee flexion during swing phase.
Poliomyelitis;Muscle Weakness;Locked Type Orthotic Knee Joint;4-bar Linkage;Stance-contol Type
- T. Yakimovich, E. D. Lemaire, and J. Kofman, "Engineering design review of stance-control knee-ankle-foot orthoses," J. of Rehabilitation Research and Development, Vol.46, No.2, pp.257-267, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2008.02.0024
- T. Yakimovich, E. D. Lemaire, and J. Kofman, "Preliminary kinematic evaluation of a new stance-control knee-ankle-foot orthosis," Clinical Biomech, Vol.21, No.10, pp1091-1099, 2006.
- E. Hanada, and D. C. Kerrigan, "Energy consumption during level walking with arm and knee immobilized," Archives Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Vol.82, No.9, pp.1251-1254, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2001.24902
- K. R. Kaufman, S. E. Irby, J. W. Mathewson, R. W. Wirta, and D. H. Sutherland, "Energy -efficient knee-ankle-foot orthosis: a case study," J. of Prosthetics and Orthotics, Vol.8, No.3, pp.79-85, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008526-199600830-00003
- D. C. Kerrigan, E. P. Frates, S. Rogan, and P. O. Riley, "Hip hiking and circumduction; quantitative definitions," American J. of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Vol.79, No.3, pp.247-252, 2000.
- A. G. McMillan, K. K. Kendrick, J. W. Michael, J. Aronson, and G.W. Horton, "Preliminary evidence for effectiveness of a stance control orthosis," J. of Prosthetics and Orthotics, Vol.16, No.1, pp.6-13, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008526-200401000-00004
- J. W. Michael, "Prosthetic primer: prosthetic knees," In Motion, Vol.9, No.6. pp.29-31, 1999.
- D. N. Condie, "The modern era of orthotics," Prosthetics and Orthotics International, Vol.32, No.3, pp.313-323, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/03093640802113006
- A. Zissimopoulos, S. Fatone, and S. A. Gard, "Biomechanical and energetic effects of a stance-control orthotic knee joint," J. of Rehabilitatin Research and Development, Vol.44, No.4, pp.503-514, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2006.09.0124
- R. B. McGhee, R. Tomovic, P. Y. Yang, and I.C. Maclean, "An experimental study of a sensor-controlled external knee-locking system," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol.25, No.2, pp.195-199, 1978. https://doi.org/10.1109/TBME.1978.326247
- J. F. Lehmann, and J. B. Stonebridge, "Knee lock device for knee ankle orthoses for spinal cord inured patient: an evaluation," Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Vol.59, No.5, pp.207-211, 1978.
- S. E. Irby, K. R. Kaufman, J. W. Mathewson, and D.H Sutherland, "Automatic control design for a dynamic knee-brace system," IEEE Transaction on Rehabilitation Engineering, Vol.7, No.2, pp.135-139, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/86.769403
- K. A. Bernhardt, S. E. Irby, and K. R. Kaufman, "Consumer options of a stance control knee orthosis," Prosthetics and Orthotics International, Vol.30, No.3, pp.246-256, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1080/03093640600618818
- T. Suga, O. Kameyama, R. Ogawa, M. Matsuura, and H. Oka, "Newly designed computer controlled knee-ankle-foot orthosis (Intelligent Orthosis)," Prosthetics and Orthototics International, Vol.22, No.3, pp.230-239, 1998.
- J. S. Rietman, J. Goudsmit, D. Meulemans, J. P. Halbertsma, and J. H. Geertzen, "An automatic hinge system for leg orthoses," Prosthetics and Orthotics International, Vol.28, No.1, pp.64-68, 2004.
- J. S. Hebert, and A. B. Liggins, "Gait evaluation of an automatic stance-control knee orthosis in a patient with postpoliomyelitis," Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Vol.86, No.8, pp.1876-1680, 2005.
- L. R. Fisher and D. L. McLellan, "Questionnaire assessment of patient satisfaction with lower limb orthoses from a district hospital," Prosthetics and Orthotics International, Vol.13, No.1, pp.29-35, 1989.
- Y. Tokuhara, O. Kameyama, T. Kubota, M. Matsuura, and R. Ogawa, "Biomechanical study of gait using an intelligent brace," J. of Orthopadic Science, Vol.5, No.4, pp.342-348, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1007/s007760070041
- A. I. BataviaI, and G. S. Hammer, "Toward the development of consumer-based criteria for the evaluation of assistive devices," J. of Rehabilitation Research and Development, Vol.27, No.4, pp.425-436, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.1990.10.0425
- J. W. Breakey and S. H. Marquette, "Beyond the four-bar knee," J. of Prosthetics and Orthotics, Vol.10, No.3, pp.77-80, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008526-199801030-00007
- C. W. Radcliffe, "Above-knee prosthetics," Prosthetics and Orthotics International. Vol.1, No.3, pp.146-160, 1997.
- S. E. Irby, K. A. Bernhardt, and K. R. Kaufman, "Gait changes over time in stance control orthosis users," Prosthetics and Orthotics International, Vol.31, No.4, pp.353-361, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1080/03093640601076909