- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Factors Associated with Self-Assessment of Halitosis in Adult
일부 성인에서 자가 구취 인식도와의 관련요인 분석
- Received : 2011.09.06
- Accepted : 2011.09.30
- Published : 2011.12.28
The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of self-assessment halitosis and to offer the basic information that establishes a strategy of effective health promotion and to enhance the quality of life. This study performed a questionnaire survey. The questionnaire was filled out by the 362 adults, who lived in Incheon Metropolitan City from May to July, 2010. The data were analyzed using a Chi-square test in the SPSS version 12.0 program. The prevalence rate of self-assessment halitosis was 24.3%. Hypertension, diabetes, medication and inadequate oral hygiene practice were significantly associated with self-assessment halitosis. Other factors of self-assessment halitosis were older age and occupation. As a result, dental professionals have to investigate a systemic disease history thoroughly. And they have to educate regular checkup of oral health and to perform a continuous feedback. The self-assessment halitosis has a negative influence on mental health and social life, so dental professionals must take into consideration about the halitosis.
Self-Assessment Halitosis;Systemic Disease;Oral Health;Mental Health
- M. M. Bornstein, B. L. Stocker, R. Seemann, W. B. Bürgin, and A. Lussi, "Prevalence of Halitosis in Young Male Adults: A Study in Swiss Army Recruits Comparing Self-Reported and Clinical Data," J Periodontol, Vol.80, No.1, pp.24-31, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2009.080310
- C. Scully, M. El-Maaytah, S. R. Porter, and J. Greenman, "Breath Odor: Etiopathogenesis, Assessment and Management," Eur J Oral Sci, Vol.10, No.4, pp.287-293, 1997.
- T. Oho, Y. Yoshida, Y. Shimazaki, Y. Yoshihir o, Y. Yamashita, and T. Koga, "Characteristics of Patients Complaining of Halitosis and theUsefulness of Gas Chrom atography for Diagnosing Halitosis," Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, Vol.91, No.5, pp.531-534, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1067/moe.2001.112543
- A. Bosy, "Oral Malodor: Philosophical and Practical Aspects," J Can Dent Assoc, Vol.63, No.3, pp.196-201, 1997.
- X. N. Liu, K. Shinada, X. C. Chen, B. X. Zhang, K. Yaegaki, and Y. Kawaguchi, "Oral Malodor Related Parameters in the Chinese General Population," J. Clin Periodontol, Vol.33, No.1, pp.31-36, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2005.00862.x
- E. M. Wilkins, Clinical Practice of the Dental Hygienist(9E), Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2005.
- J. Tonzetich, "Production and Origin of Oral Malodor: A Review of Mechanisms and Methods of Analysis," J. Periodontol, Vol.48, No.1, pp.13-20, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19184.108.40.206
- J. Tonzetich, G. Preti, and G. R. Huggins, "Changes in Concentration of Volatile Sulphur Compounds of Mouth Air During the Menstrual Cycle," J Int Med Res, Vol.6, No.3, pp.245-254, 1978. https://doi.org/10.1177/030006057800600313
- A. Kawamoto, N. Sugano, M. Motohashi, S. Matsumoto, and K. Ito, "Relationship between Oral Malodor and the Menstrual Cycle," J Periodontal Res, Vol.45, No.5, pp.681-687, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0765.2010.01285.x
- American Dental Association, "Oral Malodor," J Am Dent Assoc, Vol.134, No.2, pp.209-214, 2003. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2003.0135
- M. Bensafi and C. Rouby, "Individual Differences in Odor Imaging Ability Reflect Differences in Olfactory and Emotional Perception," Chem Senses, Vol.32, No.3, pp.237-244, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1093/chemse/bjl051
- M. Iwakura, Y. Yasuno, M. Shimura, and S. Sakamoto, "Clinical Characteristics of Halitosis: Differences in Two Patient Groups with Primary and Secondary Complaints of Halitosis," J Dent Res, Vol.73, No.9, pp.1568-1574, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345940730091301
- F. Romano, E. Pigella, N. Guzzi, and M. Aimetti, "Patients' Self-Assessment of Oral Malodour and Its Relationship with Organole ptic Scores and Oral Conditions," Int J Dent Hyg, Vol.8, No.1, pp.41-46, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-5037.2009.00368.x
- A. Eldarrat, J. Alkhabuli, and A. Malik, "The Prevalence of Self-Reported Halitosis and Oral Hygiene Practices among Libyan Students and Office Workers," Libyan J Med, Vol.3, No.4, pp.170-176, 2008. https://doi.org/10.4176/080527
- L. McKeown, "Social Relations and Breath Odour," Int J Dent Hygiene, Vol.1, No.4, pp.213-217, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1601-5037.2003.00056.x
- S. K. S. Ng and W. K Leung, "Oral Health-Related Quality of Life and Periodontal Status," Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, Vol.34, No.2, pp.114-122, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2006.00267.x
- P. C. Fox, K. A. Busch, and B. J. Baum, "Subjective Reports of Xerostomia and Objective Measures of Salivary Gland Performance," J Am Dent Assoc, Vol.115, No.4, pp.501-584, 1987.
- G. D. Slade, "Derivation and Validation of a Short-form Oral Health Impact Profile," Comm unity Dent Oral Epidemiol, Vol.25, No.4, pp.284-290, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1997.tb00941.x
- I. A. Kida, C. Manyori, and J. R. Masalu, "Prevalence and Correlates of Perceived Oral Malodor among Adolescents in Temeke District, Dar es Salaam," East Afr J Public Health, Vol.7, No.1, pp.49-53, 2010.
- 허혜영, 신승철, 조자원, 박광식, "성인에서 구취 실태와 요인들 강의 상관관계에 관한 연구", 대한구강보건학회지, 제29권, 제3호, pp.368-384, 2005.
- J. M Al-Ansari, H. Boodai, N. Al-Sumait, A. K. Al-Khabbaz, K. F. Al-Shammari, and N. Salako, "Factors Associated with Self-Reporte d Halitosis in Kuwaiti Patients," J Dent, Vol.34, No.7, pp.444-449, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2005.10.002
- J. Hintao, R. Teanpaisan, V. Chongsu vivatwong, G. Dahlen, and C. Rattarasarn, "Root Surface and Coronal Caries in Adults with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus," Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, Vol.35, No.4, pp.302-309, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2007.00325.x
- M. Kiran, N. Arpak, E. Unsal, and M. F. Erdoğan, "The Effect of Improved Periodontal Health on Metabolic Control in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus," J Clin Periodontol, Vol.32, No.3, pp.266-272, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2005.00658.x
- L. M. Sreebny and A. Vissink, Dry Mouth, Wiley -Blackwell, 2010.
- K. Yaegaki and K. Sanada, "Volatile Sulfur Compounds in Mouth Air from Clinically Healt hy Subjects and Patients with Periodontal Disease," J Periodontal Res, Vol.27, No.4, pp.233-238, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0765.1992.tb01673.x
- K. Yaegaki and J. M. Coil, "Examination, Classification, and Treatment of Halitosis; Clinical Perspectives," J Can Dent Assoc, Vol.66, No.5, pp.257-261, 2000.
- 정화영, 김윤신, 정미애, "세치제의 Sodium Lauryl Sulfate 함유 정도에 따른 구강환경변화", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제10권, 제8호, pp.240-248, 2010.
- M. Rosenberg, "Halitosis - The Need for Further Research and Education," J Dent Res, Vol.71, No.2, p.424, 1992.
- Effect of self awareness of halitosis on the quality of life related to oral health in patients with chronic renal failure vol.11, pp.12, 2013, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.12.607
- Impact of the oral health-related quality of life(OHIP-14) of industrial workers in some area vol.14, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.859