- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Sidedness Effects of Advertising Message: Moderating Effect of Self-Construal and Product Type
광고 메시지의 측면성 효과: -자아해석과 제품유형의 조절효과-
- 문재학 (신라대학교)
- Received : 2011.11.28
- Accepted : 2011.12.20
- Published : 2011.12.28
The purpose of this study is to examine sidedness effects of a Ad message and moderating roles of consumers' psychological characteristics such as self-construal. This study also examine moderating roles of product type in these direct effects. To test these research hypotheses, this study conducted experimental designs. Two hundred thirty-eight undergraduate students were assigned to one of the four experimental groups. Message type and product type were manipulated as between-subject factors. The data demonstrate that message types have a significant effect on both attitude toward Ad and acceptance intention. In addition, consumers' self-construal plays a significant moderating role between the message types and the dependent variables. Furthermore, product types also shows a moderating effect on the accpetance intention, yet not on the attitude toward Ad. The results of this study suggest various implications by indicating Ad message as an important factor which can enhance customers' positive responses but has been passed over by the previous research. We also indicated the limitations of this study, and suggested the future research directions.
Message Type;Sededness Effect;Self-construal;Product Type;Ad Attitude;Acceptance Intention
- 박세훈, 강은정, "양면적 광고의 효과에 관한 연구: 속성의 종류, 속성 간 상관관계 및 관여도의 역할을 중심으로", 마케팅연구, Vol.14, No.3, pp.1-24, 1999.
- 윤태웅, "일면적 광고와 양면적 광고의 효과에 관한 연구: 조절초점의 조절효과", 한국심리학회지: 소비자.광고, Vol.12, No.2, pp.261-282, 2011.
- 이문규, 김동훈, 권혜성, 김지영, 박소연, "신제품 출시시 비교광고와 메시지 측면성 효과: 제품특성의 조정역할", 광고학연구, Vol.13, No.2, pp.113-145, 2002.
- 이민훈, 하영원, "만족도와 재구매 간 관계에 있어서 상황적 영향의 조절효과에 관한 연구: 인지 종결 욕구와 일시적 자아해석의 조절효과를 중심으로", 한국마케팅저널, Vol.11, No.4, pp.95-119, 2010.
- 이병관, 윤태웅, "구조방정식 모형을 이용한 주관적 지식, 객관적 지식, 제품 경험의 인과적 관계 탐색: 제품 유형의 조절적 역할", 한국심리학회지: 소비자.광고, Vol.10, No.2, pp.357-378, 2009.
- 이유재, 이지영, "브랜드 동일시, 브랜드 감정, 브랜드 로열티의 관계에 관한 연구-실용적 제품과 쾌락적 제품 간의 비교", 광고연구, 제65권, pp.101-125, 2004.
- 황윤용, 정재민, 배기철, "자아관점, 불확실성, 소비자의 유별제품욕구: 한미 비교문화연구", 마케팅연구, Vol.23, No.1, pp.23-49, 2008.
- Agrawal, Nidhi, and Durairaj Maheswaran, "The Effects of Self-Contrual and Commitment on Persuasion," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.31, pp.841-849, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1086/426620
- C. M. K. Cheng, M. K. O. Lee, and Neil Rabjohn, "The Impact of Elec-tronic Word-of- Mouth: The Adoption of Online Opinions in Online Customer Com- munities," Internet Research, Vol.18, No.3, pp.229-247, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1108/10662240810883290
- Campbell, C. Margaret, and Amna Kirmani, "Consumers' Use of Persuasion Knowledge: The Effects of Accessibility and Cognitive Capacity on Perceptions of an Influence Agent," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.27, pp.69- 83, 2000(6). https://doi.org/10.1086/314309
- Cobb-Walgren, J. Cathy, and A. Cynthia Ruble, "Naveen Donthu, Brand Equity, Brand Preference, and Purchase Intent," Journal of Advertising, Vol.24, No.3, pp.25-40, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.1995.10673481
- K. T. Cort, D. A. Griffith, and D. Steven White, "An Attribution Theory Approach for Understanding the Inter-nationalization of Professional Service Firms," International Marketing Review, Vol.24, No.1, pp.9-25, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1108/02651330710727169
- Ayn E. Crowley and W. D. Hoyer, "An Integrative Framework for Understanding Two-Sided Persuasion," Journal of Con-sumer Research, Vol.20, pp.561-574, 1994(3). https://doi.org/10.1086/209370
- Eisend, Martin, "Two-Sided Advertising: A Meta-Analysis," International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol.23, No.2, pp.187-198, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijresmar.2005.11.001
- Florack, Arnd, Simon Ineichen, and Rahel Bieri, "The Impact of Regulatory Focus on the Effects of Two-Sided Advertising," Social Cognition, Vol.27, No.1, pp.37-56, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1521/soco.2009.27.1.37
- E. C. Hirschman and M. B. Holbrook, "Hedonic Consumption: Emerging Concepts, Methods and Propositions," Journal of Marketing, Vol.46, No.3, pp.92-101, 1982. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251707
- Kirmani, Amna and Margaret C. Campbell, "Goal Seeker and Persuasion Sentry: How Consumer Targets Respond to Interpersonal Marketing Persuasion," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.31, pp.573-582, 2004(12). https://doi.org/10.1086/425092
- H. Mano and R. L. Oliver, "Assessing the Dimensionality and Structure of the Consumption Experience: Evaluation, Feeling, and Satisfaction," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.20, NO.3, pp.451-466, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1086/209361
- H. R. Markus, and S. Kitayama, "Culture and the Self: Implications for Cognition, Emotion, and Motivation," Psychological Review, Vol.98, No.2, pp.224-253, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.98.2.224
- McGuire, J. William, "The Effectiveness of Supportive and Refutational Defenses in Immunizing and Restoring Beliefs Against Persuasion," Sociometry, Vol.24, pp.184-197, 1961. https://doi.org/10.2307/2786067
- D. J. O'Keefe, "How to Handle Op- posing Arguments in Persuasive Messages: A Meta- Analytic Review of the Effects of One-Sided and Two-Sided Messages," in Communication Yearbook, Michael, E. Roloff, ed., pp.209-249, 1999.
- C. Rober, W. C. Lee, and K. Chan, "An Empirical Analysis of Measurement Equivalence with the INDCOL Measure of Individualism and Collectivism: Implications for Valid Cross- Cultural Inference," Personnel Psychology, Vol.59, No.1, pp.65-100, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2006.00804.x
- C. R. Snyder, "Product Scarcity by Need for Uniqueness Interaction: A Consumer Catch Carousel," Basic and Allied Social Psychology, Vol.136, No.1, pp.9-24, 1992.
- Vonk and Roos, "The Slime Effect: Suspicion and Dislike of Likable Behavior toward Superiors," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.74, No.4, pp.849-864, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1689
- Weiner and Bernard, "Attributional Thoughts about Consumer Behavior," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.27, pp.382-387, 2000(12). https://doi.org/10.1086/317592
- Y. Zhang and G. Besty, "Matching Advertising Appeals to Culture: The Influence of Product' Use Conditions," Journal of Advertising, Vol.25, No.1, pp.29-46, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.1996.10673505