- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Energy Efficient Access Point Selection Method for IEEE802.11 Wireless LANs
IEEE802.11 무선망을 위한 에너지 효율적인 AP 선택 기법
- 허웅 (전북대학교 전자공학부 영상정보신기술연구소) ;
- 팽우양 (전북대학교 전자공학부 영상정보신기술연구소) ;
- 유강수 (전주대학교 교양학부) ;
- 최재호 (전북대학교 전자공학부 영상정보신기술연구소)
- Received : 2011.08.17
- Accepted : 2011.10.24
- Published : 2011.12.28
Nowadays, wireless local area networks are widely deployed so that stations can potentially associate with an access point. The AP selection strategy is one of the significant research areas for wireless local area networks. The selection strategy solves the relevant problem is which AP can be selected and associated with a station so that the efficient resource utilization can be obtained. Rather than merely choosing the AP with the strongest received signal strength, however, we calculate effective throughput for each neighboring AP and use it as a basis for AP selection. Referencing the throughput is better than referencing the signal strength only because the network may contain a severe load imbalance. We have performed computer simulations using OPNET modeler in order to verify the performance of the proposed scheme. The results show us that the proposed selection method outperforms that of the conventional one in terms of throughput and delay.
AP Selection;WLAN;Load Balancing;Wi-Fi
- G. Judd and P. Steenkiste. "Fixing 801.11 access point selection," Proc. of ACM MobiCom'02, 2002.
- Huazhi Gong and J. W. Kim, "Distributed Fair Access Point Selection for Multi-Rate IEEE 802.11 WLANs," Proc. of IEEECCNC, pp.528-532, 2008(6).
- S. Takeuchi and Y. Yasuda, "Access Point Selection Strategy in IEEE 802.11e WLAN Networks toward Load Balancing," Electronics and Communications in Japan, Vol.90, No.4, pp.431-442, 2007(4).
- Y. Fukuka and Y. Oie, "Decentralized Access Point Selection Architecture for Wireless LANs: Deployability and Robustness," Proc. of IEEE VTC2004-Fall, Vol.2, pp.1103-1107, 2004(9). https://doi.org/10.1109/VETECF.2004.1400192
- M. Heusse, F. Rousseau, and A. Duda, "Performance Anomaly of 802.11b," Proc. of INFOCOM'03, pp.836-251, 2003(3).
- G. Bianchi, "Performance Analysis of the IEEE 802.11 Distributed Coordination Function," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol.18, pp.534-547, 2000(3).
- S. Choudhury and Jerry Gibson, "Throughput Optimization for Wireless LANs in the Presence of Packet Error Rate Constraints," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol.12, No.1, pp.11-13, 2008(6). https://doi.org/10.1109/LCOMM.2008.071434
- S. Vasudevan and K. Papagiannaki, "Facilitating access point selection in IEEE 802.11 wireless networks," Proc. of IMC'05, pp.293-298, 2005.
- D. Kotz and K. Essien, "Analysis of a campus-wide wireless network," in Proc. ACM MOBICOM, pp.107-118, 2002.
- IEEE 802.11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications, ANSI/IEEE STD 802.11, 1999.
- G. Athanasiou, T. Korakis, O. Ercetin, and L. Tassiulas, "A Cross-Layer Framework for Association Control in Wireless Mesh Networks," IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON MOBILE COMPUTING, Vol.8, No.1, pp.65-80, 2009(6). https://doi.org/10.1109/TMC.2008.75
- B. Kauffmann, F. Baccelli, A. Chaintreau, K. Papagiannaki, and C. Diot, "Measurement - Based Self Organization of Interfering 802.11 Wireless Access Networks," Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, pp.1451-1459, 2007(5).
- T. Korakis, O. Ercetin, S. Krishnamurthy, L. Tassiulas, and S. Tripathi, "Link Quality based Association Mechanism in IEEE 802.11h compliant Wireless LANs," Proc. RAWNET, 2005(4).
- M. Abusubaih, J. Gross, W. Wiethoelter, and A. Wolisz, "On access point selection in IEEE 802.11 wireless local area networks," Proc. of IEEE on Local Computer Networks, pp.876-886, 2006(11).