- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Influence of the Lumbar Spine Adjustment using the Lumbar Roll Support on Head and Neck Posture in Older Adults
요추 지지대에 의한 노인의 요추만곡 조절이 머리와 목 자세에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2011.09.28
- Accepted : 2011.10.28
- Published : 2011.12.28
The objective of this study was to identify the effect of lumbar lordotic curve adjustment on head and neck posture in older adults. Methods Twenty healthy older participants (mean age 71.32) were photographed while watching monitor in sitting with or without lumbar roll support(length 28cm, diameter 10cm). The upper cervical angle and lower cervical angle were measured using the NIH ImageJ 1.32. Comparisons between upper and lower cervical angle with or without lumbar roll support were made using paired-t test analysis. Results Subjects demonstrated a significant difference in the mean upper and lower cervical angle. Mean difference of the upper cervical angle was about
Lumbar Lordotic Curve Adjustment;Head and Neck Posture;Lumbar Roll Support
- S. S. Lynch, C. A. Thigpen, J. P. Mihalik, W. E. Prentice, and D. Padua, "The effects of an exercise intervention on forward head and rounded shoulder postures in elite swimmers," Br J Sports Med, Vol.44, No.5, pp.376-381, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.2009.066837
- T. T. W. Chiu, W. Y. Ku, and M. H. Lee, "A study on the prevalence of and risk factors for neck pain among university academic staff in Hong Kong," Journal of Occupational Rehabilitation. Vol.12, No.2, pp.77-91, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1015008513575
- W. G. Yoo, and D. H. An. "The relationship between the active cervical range of motion and changes in head and neck posture after continuous VDT work," Industrial Health, Vol.47, No.2, pp.183-188, 2009. https://doi.org/10.2486/indhealth.47.183
- C. Majeske, and C. Buchanan. "Quantitative description of two sittin postures with and without a lumbar support pillow," Physical therapy, Vol.64, No.10, pp.1531-1533, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/64.10.1531
- K. Lewit, Manipulative therapy, Churchill Livingstone Pub, 2010.
- C. A. Oatis, Kinesiology, LWW Pub, 2009.
- W. G. Yoo, C. H. Yi, S. H. Cho, H. S. Jeon, H. S. Cynn, and H. S. Choi, "Effects of the height of ball-backrest on head and shoulder posture and trunk muscle activity in VDT workers," Industrial Health, Vol.46, No.3, pp.289-297, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2486/indhealth.46.289
- P. R. Persson, H. Hirschfeld, and L. N. Wikmar, "Associated sagittal spinal movements in performance of head pro- and retraction in healthy women: A kinematic analysis," Manual therapy, Vol.12, No.2, pp.119-125, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2006.02.013
- K. M. Black, M. Philip, and P. Marcia, "The influence of different sitting positions on cervical and lumbar posture," Spine, Vol.21, No.1, pp.65-70, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199601010-00015
- T. M. Nemmers, J. W. Miller, and M. D. Hartman, "Variability of the forward head posture in healthy community-dwelling older women," J Geriatr Phys Ther, Vol.32, No.1, pp.10-14, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1519/00139143-200932010-00003
- S. A. Sarhmann, Movement system impairment syndromes of the extremities, cervical and thoracic spines, Mosby Pub, 2011.
- S. Uthaikhup, M. Sterling, and G. Jull, "Cervical musculoskeletal impairment is common in elders with headache," Manual therapy, Vol.14, No.6, pp.636-641, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2008.12.008
- Y. L. Kuo, E. A. Tully, and M. P. Galea, "Video analysis of sagittal spinal posture in healthy young and older adults," Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, Vol.32, No.3, pp.210-215, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmpt.2009.02.002
- S. J. Horton, G. M. Johnson, and M. A. Skinner, "Changes in head and neck posture using an office chair with and without lumbar roll support," Spine, Vol.35, No.12, pp.E542-E548, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0b013e3181cb8f82
- J. W. Boyle, N. Milne, and K. P. Singer, "Influence of age on cervicothoracic spinal curve: An ex vivo radiographic survey," Clinical biomechanics, Vol.17, No.5, pp.361-367, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-0033(02)00030-X
- I. C. Gadotti, and D. A. Biasotto-Gonzalez, "Sensitivity of clinical assessment of sagittal head posture," Journal of evaluation in clinical practice, Vol.16, No.1, pp.141-144, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2753.2009.01137.x
- D. Falla, G. Jull, T. Russell, B. Vicenzino, and P. Hodges, "Effect of neck exercise on sitting posture in patients with chronic neck pain," Phys Ther, Vol.87, No.4, pp.408-417, 2007. https://doi.org/10.2522/ptj.20060009
- P. Page, C. C. Frank, and R. Lardner, Assessment and treatment of muscle imbalance, Human kinetic Pub, 2009.
- C. Liebenson, and R. Lardner, "Identification and treatment of muscular chains," Dynamic chiropractic, Vol.17, No.1, pp.1-8, 1999.
- T. M. Nemmers, and J. W. Miller, "Factors influencing balance in healthy communitydwelling women 60 and older," Geriatr Phys Ther, Vol.31, No.3, pp.93-100, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1519/00139143-200831030-00003
- 박형기, 김택순, "골반경사 방향과 허리벨트 착용이 물건 들고 일어서기 시 척추기립근의 활동전위에 미치는 영향," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, Vol.9, No.3, pp.296-304, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2009.9.3.296
- S. J. Edmondston, M. Sharp, A. Symes, N. Alhabib, and G. T. Allison, "Changes in mechanical load and extensor muscle activity in the cervico-thoracic spine induced by sitting posture modification," Ergonomics, Vol.54, No.2, pp.179-186, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1080/00140139.2010.544765
- G. B. Andersson, R. W. Murphy, and Ortengren, "The influence of backrest inclination and lumbar support on lumbar lordosis," Spine, Vol.4, No.1, pp.52-58, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-197901000-00009