- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Effects of Market Orientation on New Product Performance of Food/Pharmaceutical Firms : Mediators of Product Quality, Employee Satisfaction, and Innovation Speed
식품·제약업체의 시장지향성이 신제품성과에 미치는 영향 : 제품품질, 직원만족 및 혁신속도의 매개역할
- Received : 2011.10.18
- Accepted : 2011.11.10
- Published : 2011.12.28
The primary purpose of this study is to examine the relationship between market orientation and new product performance in a manufacturing firms, and examines how product quality, employee satisfaction, and innovation speed play a mediating role between market orientation and new product performance. Based on relevant literature reviews, this study posits three mediators, that is, product quality, employee satisfaction, and innovation speed as key determinants of new product performance. And then we structured a research model and hypotheses about relationship between these variables. A total 159 usable survey responses of Korean food/pharmaceutical firms have been employed in the analysis. The data were analyzed with Amos12.0K. The results be summarized as follows: First, market orientation had a positive influence upon product quality, employee satisfaction, and innovation speed. Second, two mediators of employee satisfaction, innovation speed had a positive influence upon new product performance. Third, employee satisfaction had a positive influence upon product quality and innovation speed. According to the result of this research, a manufacturing firms have to focus on the market orientation and understand the role of product quality, employee satisfaction, and innovation speed mediators on the process between the market orientation and the new product performance.
Market Orientation;Product Quality;Employee Satisfaction;Innovation Speed;New Product Performance
- 김선준, "내부서비스품질이 고객만족과 기업성과에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구," 경영정보연구, 제15 권, 제2호, pp.147-164, 2004.
- 박만석, 이덕재, "호텔의 시장지향성과 사업성과간 통합적 매개변수의 역할," 한국마케팅저널, 제4권, 제2호, pp.55-78, 2002.
- 송성인, "호텔 레스토랑의 시장지향성과 서비스 품 질, 고객만족, 고객 충성도간의 관계" 한국콘 텐츠 학회논문지, 제7권, 제9호, pp.183-193, 2007. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2007.7.9.183
- 예종석, 윤운락, "시장지향성이 사업성과에 미치는 영향, 마케팅연구," 제11권, 제2호, pp.1-21, 1996.
- 유동근, 강성단, 이용기, "서비스 기업의 시장지향성과 성과: 벤치마킹, 서비스 품질 및 고객만족의 인과적 역할," 마케팅연구, 제13권, 제1호, pp.1-25, 1998.
- 이용기, 유동근, 이학식, "시장지향성: 선행요인, 매개요인, 그리고 성과간의 구조적 관계," 마케팅연구, 제11권, 제2호, pp.161-181, 1996.
- 이학식, 김영, 이용기, "시장지향성과 성과: 사원 만족, 고객만족 및 기업이미지의 매개적 역할," 경영학연구, 제27권, 제1호, pp.157-184, 1998.
- 오재신, 정기한, 김대엽, "시장지향성의 선 후행변수 에 관한 연구," 산업경제연구, 제18권, 제1호, pp.361-385, 2005.
- 양영익, 김창수, "한국제조기업의 시장지향성이 제품혁신, 마케팅능력, 그리고 성과에 미치는 영향," 경영연구, 제22권, 제2호, pp.228-254, 2007.
- A. K. Kohli, and B. Jaworski, "Market orientation: The Construct, Research Propositions and Managerial Implications," Journal of Marketing, Vol.54, No.2, pp.1-18, 1990. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251866
- A. P. Rodrigues, J. C. Pinho, "Market Orientation, Job Satisfaction, Commitment and Organizational Performance: The Specific Case of Local Public Sector," Transforming Government: People, Process and Policy, Vol.4, No.2, pp.172-192, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1108/17506161011047398
- B. A. Lukas, and O. C. Ferrell, "The Effect of Market Orientation on Product Innovation," Journal of Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.28, No.2, pp.239-247, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070300282005
- B. J. Jaworski, and A. K. Kohli, "Market Orientation: Antecedents and Consequences," Journal of Marketing, Vol.57, No.3, pp.53-70, 1993. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251854
- D. H. Henard, and D. M. Szymanski, "Why Some New Products are More Successful Than Others," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.38, No.3, pp.362-375, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.38.3.362.18861
- D. Schneider, and D. E. Bowen, "The Service Organization: Human Resources Management is Crucial," Organizational Dynamics, Spring, Vol.21, No.4, pp.39-52, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-2616(93)90032-V
- D. W. Vorhies, and M. Harker, "The Capabilities and Performance Advantages of Market Driven Firms: An Empirical Investigation," Australian Journal of Marketing, Vol.25, No.2, pp.145-171, 2000.
- E. Kessler, and P. E III. Bierly, "Is Faster Really Better? An Empirical Test of The Implications of Innovation Speed," IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Vol.49, No.1, pp.2-12, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/17.985742
- G. E. Greenley, "Market Orientation and Company Performance: Empirical Evidence from UK Companies," British Journal of Management, Vol.6, No.2, pp.1-13, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8551.1995.tb00082.x
- J. A. Siguaw, G. Brown, and R. E. Ⅱ. Widing, "The Influence of the Market Orientation of the Firm on Sales Force Behavior and Attitudes," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.31, No.1, pp.106-116, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151950
- J. C. Narver, and S. F. Slater, "The Effect of Market Orientation on Business Profitability," Journal of Marketing, Vol.54, No.4, pp.20-35, 1990. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251757
- J. Rodriguez-Pinto, P. Carbonell, and A. I. Rodriguez-Escudero, "Speed or Quality? How the Order of Market Entry Influences the Relationship Between Market Orientation and New Product Performance," International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol.28, No.2, pp.145-154, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijresmar.2011.02.001
- J. Singh and G. K. Rhoads, "Boundary Role Ambiguity in Marketing Orientid Position : A Multidimensional, Multifaceted Operationalization," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.28, No.3, pp.328-338, 1991. https://doi.org/10.2307/3172868
- K. Atuahene-Gima, S. Slater, and E. M. Olson, "The Contingent Value of Responsive and Proactive Market Orientations for New Product Program Performance," Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol.22, No.6, pp.464-482, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5885.2005.00144.x
- N. A. Morgan, D. W. Vorhies, and C. H. Mason, "Market Orientation, Market Capabilities and Firm Performance," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.30, No.8, pp.909-920, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.764
- P. Carbonell, and A. I. Rodriguez-Escudero, "The Effect of Market Orientation on Innovation Speed and New Product Performance," Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, Vol.25, No.7, pp.501-513, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1108/08858621011077736
- R. Deshpande and J. U. Farley, "Organizational Culture, Market Orientation, Innovativeness, and Firm Performance: An International Research Odyssey," International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol.21, No.1, pp.3-22, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijresmar.2003.04.002
- R. F. Hurley and T. M. Hult, "Innovation, Market Orientation, and Organizational Learning: An Integration and Empirical Examination," Journal of Marketing, Vol.62, No.3, pp.42-54, 1998. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251742
- R. Hallowell, L. A. Schlesinger, and J. Zornitsky, "Internal Service Quality, Customer and Job Satisfaction: Linkages and Implicating for Management," Human Resource Planning, Vol.19, No.2, pp.20-31, 1996.
- R. G. Cooper, "The New Products System:The Industry Experience," Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol.9, No.2, pp.113-127, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1016/0737-6782(92)90003-U
- R. Sethi, "New Product Quality and New Product Teams," Journal of Marketing, Vol.64, No.2, pp.1-14, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.220.127.116.1199
- S. F. Slater, and J. C. Narver, "Market Orientation and Learning Organization," Journal of Marketing, Vol.59, No.3, pp.63-74, 1995. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252120
- S. Im and J. P. Workman, "Market Orientation, Creativity and New Product Performance in High-Technology Firms," Journal of Marketing, Vol.68, No.2, pp.114-132, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.18.104.22.168788
- T. J. Dean, R. L. Brown, and C. E. Bamford, "Differences in Large and Small Firm Responses to Environmental Context: Strategic Implications from a Comparative Analysis of Business Formations," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.19, No.8, pp.709-728, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199808)19:8<709::AID-SMJ966>3.0.CO;2-9
- W. E. Baker, and J. M. Sinkula, "Learning Orientation, Market Orientation and Innovation: Integrating and Extending Models of Organizational Performance," Journal of Market Focused Management, Vol.4, No.4, pp.295-308, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1009830402395
- X. M. Song, and M. E. Parry, "The Determinants of Japanese New Product Successes," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.34, No.1, pp.64-76, 1997. https://doi.org/10.2307/3152065
- The Effects of Strategic Orientations on Company Performance and the Moderating Role of Entrepreneurship in Small-Medium Sized and Ventures Manufacturing Firms vol.14, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.07.468