- Volume 11 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Exploring the Applicability of the Cognitive Theory of Multimedia Learning for Smart Pad Based Learning with a Focus on Principles of Multimedia and Individual Differences
스마트 패드 기반 학습 프로그램에서 멀티미디어 학습에 관한 인지이론적 원리의 적용가능성 탐색: 멀티미디어 원리와 개인차 원리를 중심으로
- Received : 2011.10.07
- Accepted : 2011.12.12
- Published : 2011.12.28
The purpose of this study is to verify the cognitive theory of Multimedia learning in a Smart Pad environment. Specifically, the viability of the multimedia principle and individual difference principle was tested for this study. To accomplish this, participants were divided into two groups based on their prior knowledge level (high/low), and members of each group were given one of two Smart Pad based programs, one text-based and the other text and image based. Results indicate that the use of images and the interaction between image use and prior knowledge did not have a significant effect on cognitive load levels. However, there were significant effects on learning achievement. This study implies that when developing Smart Pad based learning content, the small screen size compared to PC monitors, types and functions of images, and learning objectives should be considered.
Mobile Learning;Multimedia Principle;Individual Difference;Cognitive Load;Learning Effectiveness
Supported by : 서강대학교
- 임정훈, "모바일 기반 스마트 러닝: 개념 탐색과 대학교육에의 적용 가능성," 한국교육정보미디어학회 춘계학술대회, 2011.
- 박성억, "공공기관 교육용 콘텐츠의 학습효과 증진을 위한 디자인 전략", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제10권, 제3호, pp.444-453, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2010.10.3.444
- Q. Sun, C. Ardito, P. Buono, M. Costabile, R. Lanzilotti, T. Pederson, and A. Piccinno, "Experiencing the past through the senses: An m-learning game at archaeological parks source," IEEE Multimedia, Vol.15, pp.76-81, 2008.
- 원강식, "증강현실을 이용한 복원영상의 박물관 교육분야 활용방안", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제 10권, 제6호, pp.205-212, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2010.10.6.205
- R. E. Mayer, Multimedia Learning (2nd ed.). Cambridge University Press, 2009.
- R. E. Mayer and J. K. Gallini, "When is an illustration worth ten thousand words?," J. of Educational Psychology, Vol.82, pp.715-726, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06126.96.36.1995
- D. Kim and D. Kim, "Effect of screen size on multimedia vocabulary learning," British J. of Multimedia Learning, (Early view article) Article first published online: 2 Dec, 2010, DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-8535.2010.01145.x
- M. Albers and L. Kim, "Information design for the small-screen interface: an overview of web design issues for personal digital assistants," Technical Communications, Vol.49, No.1, pp.45-60, 2001.
- P. Chandler and J. Sweller, "Cognitive load theory and the format of instruction," Cognition and Instruction, Vol.8, No.4, pp.293-332, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1207/s1532690xci0804_2
- B. Ballard, Designing the Mobile User Experience, John Wiley & Sons, 2007.
- A. D. Baddeley, Working Memory. Clarendon, 1986.
- A. D. Baddeley, "The episodic buffer: A new component of working memory?," Trends in Cognitive Science, Vol.4, pp.417-423. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1364-6613(00)01538-2
- A. D. Baddeley, Human Memory, Allyn & Bacon Publishing Company, 1999.
- R. E. Mayer and R. W. Anderson, "The instructive animation: Helping students build connections between words and pictures in multimedia learning," J. of Educational Psychology, Vol.84, No.4, pp.444-452, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06188.8.131.524
- S. M. Fiore, H. M. Cuevas, and R. L. Oser, "A picture is worth a thousand connections: the facilitative effects of diagrams on mental model development and task performance," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.19, No.2, pp.185-199, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0747-5632(02)00054-7
- K. R. Butcher, "Learning from text with diagrams: Promoting mental model development and inference generation," J. of Educational Psychology, Vol.98, No.1, pp.182-197, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06184.108.40.206
- R. E. Mayer, "Multimedia learning: Are we asking the right questions," Educational Psychologist, Vol.32, No.1, pp.1-19, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15326985ep3201_1
- S. Kalyuga, P. Ayres, P. Chandler, and J. Sweller, "The expertise reversal effect," Educational Psychologist, Vol.35, No.1, pp.23-31, 2003.
- K. S. Byrd and B. S. Caldwell, "From UMPCs to cell phones: How does diminishing screen real estate affect screen access and working memory?," Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting Proceedings, Vol.53, No.15, pp.960-964, 2009.
- D. Churchill, "Conceptual model learning objects and design recommendations for small screen," Educational Technology & Society, Vo.14, No.1, pp.203-216, 2011.
- K. J. Kim, S. Sundar, and E. Park, "The effects of screen-size and communication modality on psychology of mobile device users," Proceedings of the 2011 annual conference extended abstracts on Human factors in computing systems, pp.1207-1212, 2011.
- M. Sharples, J. Taylor, and G. Vavoula, "A theory of learning for the mobile age," In R. Andrews & C. Haythornthwaite (eds.) "The Sage Handbook of E-learning Research," London: Sage, pp.221-247, 2007.
- 류지헌, 임지현, "인지부하 측정을 위한 구인의 탐색 및 타당화," 교육정보미디어연구, 제15권, 제 2호, pp.1-27, 2007.
- L. Chen, X, Xie, X. Fan, W. Ma, H. Zhang, and H. Zhou, "A visual attention model for adapting images on small displays," ACM Multimedia Systems Journal, Vol.9, pp.353-364, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00530-003-0105-4
- N. Maniar, E. Bennett, S. Hand, and G. Allan, "The effect of mobile phone screen size on video based learning," J. of Software, Vol.3, No.4, pp.51-61, 2008.
- M. Petre, and T. R. G. Greene, "Learning to read graphics: Some evidence that "seeing" an information display is an acquired skill," J. of Visual Languages and Computing, Vol.4, No.1, pp.55-70, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvlc.1993.1004
- R. Bruunken, J. L. Plass, and D. Leutner, "Direct measurement of cognitive load in multimedia learning," Educational Psychologist, Vol.38, No.1, pp.53-61, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15326985EP3801_7
- Y. Lee, "Learning outcomes of online discussions: Looking into the relationship between vicarious interactions and higher order thinking," J. of Educational Technology, Vol.26, No.4, pp.191-221, 2010.