- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Anti-microbial Activity of Saussurea lappa C.B. Clarke Roots
- Chang, Kyung-Mi (Plant Resources Research Institute, Duksung Women's University) ;
- Choi, Soo-Im (Plant Resources Research Institute, Duksung Women's University) ;
- Chung, Sophia J. (College of Nursing, The University of Iowa) ;
- Kim, Gun-Hee (Plant Resources Research Institute, Duksung Women's University)
- Received : 2011.07.04
- Accepted : 2011.11.17
- Published : 2011.12.31
We investigated the total phenolic and flavonoid contents and the antimicrobial activity of ethanol extracts obtained from Saussurea lappa C.B. Clarke. The ethanol extracts of S. lappa C.B. Clarke were fractionated with various solvents (n-hexane, chloroform, and n-butanol). The antimicrobial activity of S. lappa C.B. Clarke was examined by disc-diffusion and micro-dilution susceptibility assays with six food-borne pathogens, and compared to that of the synthetic antibiotics. It is found that the S. lappa C.B. Clarke ethanol extract and n-hexane fraction have strong activity against B. cereus and V. parahaemolyticus strains compared to ampicillin. The inhibitory concentration (
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Bae JH. 2005. Antimicrobial effect of Sophora angustifolia extracts on food-borne pathogens. Food Sci Biotechnol 14: 311-316.
- Pandy MM, Rastogi S, Rawat AKM. 2007. Saussurea costus: Botanical, chemical and pharmacological review of ayuvedic medicinal plant. J Ethnopharmacol 11: 379-390.
- Chhabra BR, Gupta S, Jain M, Kalsi PS. 1998. Sesquiterpene lactones from Saussurea lappa. Phytochemistry 49: 801-804. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9422(97)00906-0
- Kim RM, Jeon SE, Choi Y. 2001. EuiBangRuChui. Yeokang Publication, Seoul, Korea. Vol 6, p 385.
- Yu HH, Lee JS, Lee KH, Kim KY, You YO. 2007. Saussurea lappa inhibits the growth, acid production, adhesion, and water-insoluble glucan synthesis of Streptococcus mutans. J Ethnopharmacol 111: 413-417. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2006.12.008
- Li Y, Xu C, Zang Q, Liu JY, Tan RX. 2005. In vitro anti-Helicobacter pylori action of 30 Chinese herbal medicines used to treat ulcer diseases. J Ethnopharmacol 98: 329-333. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2005.01.020
- Sun CM, Syu WJ, Don MJ, Lu J, Lee GH. 2003. Cytotoxic sesquiterpene lactones from the root of Saussurea lappa. J Nat Prod 66: 1175-1180. https://doi.org/10.1021/np030147e
- Chen HC, Chou CK, Lee SD, Wang JC, Yeh SF. 1995. Active compounds from Saussurea lappa Clarks that suppress hepatitis B virus surface antigen gene expression in human hepatoma cells. Antiviral Res 27: 99-109. https://doi.org/10.1016/0166-3542(94)00083-K
- Wedge DE, Galindo JC, Macias FA. 2000. Fungicidal activity of natural and synthetic sesquiterpene lactone analog. Phytochemistry 53: 747-757. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9422(00)00008-X
- Robles M, Aregullin M, West J, Rodriguez E. 1995. Recent studies on the zoopharmacognosy, pharmacology, and neurotoxicology of sesquiterpene lactone. Planta Med 61: 199-203. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2006-958055
- Quarenghi MV, Tereschuk ML, Baigori MD, Abdala LR. 2000. Antimicrobial activity of flowers from Anthemis cotula. Fitoterapia 71: 710-712. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0367-326X(00)00229-X
- Chung HK, Choi CS, Park WJ, Kang MH. 2005. Radical scavenging activity of grape-seed extracts prepared from different solvents. Food Sci Biotechnol 14: 718-721.
- Choi YM, Ku JB, Chang HB, Lee JS. 2005. Antioxidant activities and total phenolics of ethanol extracts from several edible mushrooms produced in Korea. Food Sci Biotechnol 14: 700-703.
- Lee MH, Kwon HA, Kwon DY, Park H, Sohn DH, Kim YC, Eo SK, Kang HY, Kim SW, Lee JH. 2006. Antibacterial activity of medicinal herb extracts against Salmonella. Int J Food Microbiol 111: 270-275. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2006.06.004
- Su YC, Liu C. 2007. Vibrio parahaemolyticus: A concern of seafood safety. Food Microbiol 24: 549-558. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2007.01.005
- Wong WC, Liu SH, Ku LW, Lee I, Wang TK, Lee YS, Lee CL, Kuo LP, Shin DYC. 1995. Characterization of Vibrio parahaemolyticus isolates obtained from foodborne illness outbreaks during 1992 throughout 1995 in Taiwan. J Food Prot 63: 900-906.
- Lin YT, Labbe RG, Shetty K. 2005. Inhibition of Vibrio parahaemolyticus in seafood systems using oregano and cranberry phytochemical synergies and lactic acid. Innovative Food Sci Emerging Technol 6: 453-458. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2005.04.002