- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Physicochemical Qualities and Consumer Perception of Tomato Sponge Cakes
- Son, Seok-Min (Department of Food and Biotechnology, Hoseo University) ;
- Lee, Jun-Ho (Department of Food Science and Engineering, Daegu University)
- Received : 2011.09.05
- Accepted : 2011.10.11
- Published : 2011.12.31
The effects of differing baking ingredient formulations on physicochemical qualities and consumer preferences were investigated using sponge cakes incorporated with tomato powder, a healthy and beneficial food ingredient, as a model system. Tomato powder was incorporated into cake batter at four different amounts (0%, 10%, 20%, and 30%, w/w) by replacing equivalent amount of wheat flour. After appropriate mixing, sponge cakes were baked and cake quality attributes were evaluated after cooling. Specific volume decreased with an increase in the tomato powder substitution, although not significantly (p>0.05). On the other hand, baking loss increased from 10.3 (control) to 13.4 (30% sample) as the tomato powder level increased in the formulation. Lightness (
- Na HS, Kim JB. 2008. Effects of tomato extracts on detergent- induced dry skin in rats. J Life Sci 18: 441-446. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2008.18.4.441
- Rhim TJ. 2006. Antioxidant and hepatoprotective effects of tomato extracts. Korean J Plant Res 19: 649-654.
- Rao AV, Agarwal S. 1998. Bioavailability and in vivo antioxidant properties of lycopene from tomato products and their possible role in the prevention of cancer. Nutr Cancer 31: 199-203. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635589809514703
- Sies H, Stahl W. 1998. Lycopene antioxidant and biological effects and its bioavailability in the human. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 218: 121-124. https://doi.org/10.3181/00379727-218-44285a
- Giovannuci A, Ascherio A, Rimm EB, Stampfer MJ, Colditz GA, Willett WC. 1995. Intake of carotenoids and retinol in risk of prostate cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 87: 1767-1776. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/87.23.1767
- Yi SY, Kim CS, Song YS, Park JH. 2001. Studies on the quality characteristics of sponge cakes with addition of yam powders. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 48-55.
- Oh SC, Nam HY, Cho JS. 2002. Quality properties and sensory characteristics of sponge cakes as affected by additions of Dioscorea japonica flour. Korean J Soc Food Cookery Sci 18: 185-192.
- Chun SS. 2003. Development of functional sponge cakes with onion powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 32: 62-66. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.1.062
- Jeong CH, Shim KH. 2004. Quality characteristics of sponge cakes with addition of Pleurotus eryngii mushroom powders. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 33: 716-722. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.4.716
- Lee SW, Kang CS. 2005. Effects of high molecular weight water-soluble chitosan on quality attributes of sponge cake. Korean J Food Nutr 18: 309-315.
- Choi GY, Bae JH, Han GJ. 2007. The quality characteristics of sponge cake containing a functional and natural products (1. mulberry leaf powder). J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 17: 703-709.
- Lee JH, Kwak EJ, Kim JS, Lee YS. 2007. Quality characteristics of sponge cake added with Mesangi (Capsosiphon fulvescens) powder. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 23: 83-89.
- Yoon SB, Hwang SY, Chun DS, Kong SK, Kang KO. 2007. An investigation of the characteristics of sponge cake with ginseng powder. Korean J Food Nutr 20: 20-26.
- Choi GY, Kim HD, Bae JH. 2007. Quality characteristics of sponge cakes occurred with percentages of persimmon leaves powder added. Korean J Culin Res 13: 269-278.
- Kang CS. 2007. Qualitative characteristics of sponge cakes with addition of Gastrodiae rhizoma powder. Korean J Culin Res 13: 211-219.
- Lee JS, Kim HS, Lee YJ, Jung IC, Bae JH, Lee JS. 2007. Quality characteristics of sponge cakes containing various levels of Grifola frondosa powder. Korean J Food Sci Technol 39: 400-405.
- Park YR, Han IJ, Kim MY, Choi SH, Shin DW, Chun SS. 2008. Quality characteristics of sponge cake prepared with red ginseng marc powder. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 24: 236-242.
- Kang BS, Moon SW. 2009. Effect of rosemary powder on the physicochemical characteristics of sponge cake during storage. Korean J Food Preserv 16: 155-159.
- Park JE, Jeong HD, Jang MS. 2009. Optimization of ingredient mixing ratio for preparation of sponge cake with bamboo (Pseudosasa japonica Makino) leaves powder. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 25: 317-329.
- Chung YS, Kim DJ. 2009. Quality characteristics of sponge cake with Pakchoi (Brassica compestris L. spp chinensis Jusl.) powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 914-919. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.7.914
- Lee JH, Heo SA. 2010. Physicochemical and sensory properties of sponge cakes incorporated with Ecklonia cava powder. Food Eng Prog 14: 222-228.
- Lu TM, Lee CC, Mau JL, Lin SD. 2010. Quality and antioxidant property of green tea sponge cake. Food Chem 119: 1090-1095. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.08.015
- AACC. 1988. Approved methods of the AACC. American Association of Cereal Chemists, St. Paul, MN, USA. Method 74-09.
- Sumnu G, Sahin S, Sevimli M. 2005. Microwave, infrared and infrared-microwave combination baking of cakes. J Food Eng 71: 150-155. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2004.10.027
- Chung YS, Kwak YH, Lee MN, Kim DJ. 2009. Quality characteristics of sponge cake with erythritol. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 1606-1611. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.11.1606
- Jeong CH, Kim JH, Cho JR, Ahn CG, Shim KH. 2007. Quality characteristics of sponge cake upon addition of paprika powder. Korean J Food Preserv 14: 281-287.
- Park YS, Chang HG. 2007. Quality characteristics of sponge cakes containing various leaves of black rice flour. Korean J Food Sci Technol 39: 406-411.
- Ju JE, Nam YH, Lee KA. 2006. Quality characteristics of sponge cakes with wheat-rice composite flour. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 22: 923-929.
- Lee JH, Son SM. 2011. Quality of sponge cakes incorporated with yacon powder. Food Eng Prog 15: 269-275.
- Quality and Antioxidant Characteristics of Sponge Cake with Asparagus (Asparagus officinals L.) Powder vol.31, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2015.31.5.642