- Volume 12 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Design of a Flight Envelope Protection System Using a Dynamic Trim Algorithm
- Shin, Ho-Hyun (School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Sang-Hyun (School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, You-Dan (School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Eung-Tae (Korea Aerospace Research Institute) ;
- Sung, Ki-Jung (Korea Aerospace Research Institute)
- Received : 2011.04.28
- Accepted : 2011.07.07
- Published : 2011.09.30
Most large commercial aircrafts and high performance military aircrafts use fly-by-wire (FBW) or fly-by-light systems to improve their controllability, comfort, and safety. A flight envelope protection technique is used with flight control systems utilizing the FBW technique. Such flight envelope protection systems prevent these aircraft from exceeding the structural/aerodynamic limits and control their surface limits. This is accomplished by predicting the values of the future state variables and adaptively compensating the control action. In this study, the conventional dynamic trim algorithm of the flight envelope protection is modified to increase the method accuracy and to handle cases with multiple variables. Numerical simulation is also performed to verify the performance of the proposed method.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Airworthiness Performance Evaluation and Certification Committee. (1999). Pilot Authority and Aircraft Protections. Air Line Pilots Association.
- Horn, J. F. and Sahani, N. (2004). Detection and avoidance of main rotor hub moment limits on rotorcraft. Journal of Aircraft, 41, 372-379. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.301
- Howitt, J. (1995). Carefree maneuvering in helicopter flight control. Proceedings of the American Helicopter Society 51st Annual Forum, Fort Worth, TX.
- Sahani, N. A. (2005). Envelope Protection Systems for Piloted and Unmanned Rotorcraft. PhD Thesis, Pennsylvania State University.
- Whalley, M. S. and Achache, M. (1996). Joint U.S./France investigation of helicopter flight envelope limit cueing. Proceedings of the American Helicopter Society 52nd Annual Forum, Washington, DC. pp. 1589-1617.
- Wilborn, J. E. and Foster, J. V. (2004). Defining commercial transport loss-of-control: a quantitative approach. AIAA Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Conference, Providence, RI. pp. 205-215.
- Yavrucuk, I., Prasad, J. V. R., and Unnikrishnan, S. (2009). Envelope protection for autonomous unmanned aerial vehicles. Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 32, 248-261. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.35265