- Volume 12 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Missile Autopilot Design for Agile Turn Using Time Delay Control with Nonlinear Observer
- Lee, Chang-Hun (Division of Aerospace Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Tae-Hun (Division of Aerospace Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Tahk, Min-Jea (Division of Aerospace Engineering, KAIST)
- Received : 2011.04.30
- Accepted : 2011.09.21
- Published : 2011.09.30
This paper deals with missile autopilot design for agile turn phase in air-to-air engagement scenarios. To attain a fast response, angle-of-attack (AOA) is adopted for an autopilot command structure. Since a high operational AOA is generally required during the agile turn phase, dealing with the aerodynamic uncertainties can be a challenge for autopilot design. As a remedy, a new controller design method based on robust nonlinear control methodology such as time delay control is proposed in this paper. Nonlinear observer is also proposed to estimate the AOA in the presence of the model uncertainties. The performance of the proposed controller with variation of the aerodynamic coefficients is investigated through numerical simulations.
Supported by : Agency for Defense Development in Korea
- Choi, Y. S., Lee, H. C., and Choi, J. W. (2003). Autopilot design for agile missile with aerodynamic fin and side thruster. SICE 2003 Annual Conference, Fukui, Japan. pp. 1476-1481.
- Devaud, E., Siguerdidjane, H., and Font, S. (1998). Nonlinear dynamic autopilot design for the non minimum phase missile. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Tampa, FL. pp. 4691-4696.
- Kim, K. U., Kang, S. H., Kim, H. J., Lee, C. H., and Tahk, M. J. (2010). Realtime agile-turn guidance and control for an air-to-air missile. AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, Toronto, Canada. pp. 29-31.
- Kim, Y. H., Park, J. W., Lee, C. H., and Tahk, M. J. (2009). Control input discretization and optimization method for half-turn maneuver analysis of short range air-to-air missile. Proceeding of KSAS Spring Conference, Pyeongchang, Korea. pp. 373-376.
- Lee, C. H., Kim, T. H., Ryu, S. M., and Tahk, M. J. (2009a). Analysis of turning maneuver for agile missile using trajectory optimization. Proceeding of KSAS Spring Conference, Pyeongchang, Korea. pp. 369-372.
- Lee, C. H., Kim, T. H., and Tahk, M. J. (2009b). Autopilot design for agile turn using time-delay control with observer. Proceeding of KSAS Fall Conference, Gyeongju, Korea. pp. 822-825.
- Lee, C. H., Kim, T. H., and Tahk, M. J. (2009c). Design of missile autopilot for agile turn using nonlinear control. Proceeding of KSAS Fall Conference, Gyeongju, Korea. pp. 667-670.
- Mehrabian, A. R. and Roshanian, J. (2006). Design of gain-scheduled autopilot for a highly-agile missile. Proceedings of the 1st International Symposium on Systems and Control in Aerospace and Astronautics, Harbin, China. pp. 144-149.
- Menon, P. K. and Yousefpor, M. (1996). Design of nonlinear autopilots for high angle of attack missiles. AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, San Diego, CA. pp. 29-31.
- Ryu, S. M., Won, D. Y., Lee, C. H., and Tahk, M. J. (2010). High angle of attack missile autopilot design by pole placement approach. Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Systems and Control in Aeronautics and Astronautics, Harbin, China. pp. 535-539.
- Slotine, J. J. E. and Li, W. (1991). Applied Nonlinear Control. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall.
- Thukral, A. and Innocenti, M. (1998). A sliding mode missile pitch autopilot synthesis for high angle of attack maneuvering. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, 6, 359-371. https://doi.org/10.1109/87.668037
- Wise, K. A. and Broy, D. J. (1998). Agile missile dynamics and control. Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 21, 441-449. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.4256
- Youcef-Toumi, K. and Wu, S. T. (1991). Input/output linearization using time delay control. Proceedings of the American Control Conference, Boston, MA. pp. 2601-2606.
- A Model Matching STR Controller for High Performance Aircraft vol.2013, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/651617
- An auto weather-vaning system for a DP vessel that uses a nonlinear controller and a disturbance observer vol.6, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.2478/IJNAOE-2013-0166
- Robust H∞ autopilot design for agile missile with time-varying parameters vol.50, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.2014.130750
- Missile two-loop acceleration autopilot design based on 𝓛1adaptive output feedback control vol.15, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2014.15.1.74