- Volume 12 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Two-Dimensional Trajectory Optimization for Soft Lunar Landing Considering a Landing Site
- Park, Bong-Gyun (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Ahn, Jong-Sun (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Tahk, Min-Jea (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2010.03.27
- Accepted : 2011.09.16
- Published : 2011.09.30
This paper addresses minimum-fuel, two-dimensional trajectory optimization for a soft lunar landing from a parking orbit to a desired landing site. The landing site is usually not considered when performing trajectory optimization so that the landing problem can be handled. However, for precise trajectories for landing at a desired site to be designed, the landing site has to be considered as the terminal constraint. To convert the trajectory optimization problem into a parameter optimization problem, a pseudospectral method was used, and C code for feasible sequential quadratic programming was used as a numerical solver. To check the reliability of the results obtained, a feasibility check was performed.
Supported by : Korea Science and Engineering Foundation
- Bennett, F. V. and Price, T. G. (1964). Study of Powered-Descent Trajectories for Manned Lunar Landings [NASA Technical Note D-2426]. Washington, DC: National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
- Betts, J. T. (1998). Survey of numerical methods for trajectory optimization. Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 21, 193-207. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.4231
- Fahroo, F. and Ross, I. M. (2001). Costate estimation by a Legendre pseudospectral method. Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 24, 270-277. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.4709
- Hawkins, A. M. (2005). Constrained Trajectory Optimization of a Soft Lunar Landing from a Parking Orbit. MS Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Josselyn, S. and Ross, I. M. (2003). Rapid verification method for the trajectory optimization of reentry vehicles. Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 26, 505-508. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.5074
- Lawrence, C., Zhou, J. L., and Tits, A. L. (1997). User's Guide for CFSQP Version 2.5: A C Code for Solving (Large Scale) Constrained Nonlinear (Minimax) Optimization Problems, Generating Iterates Satisfying All Inequality Constraints [Technical report TR-94-16r1]. College Park, MD: University of Maryland.
- Ramanan, R. V. and Lal, M. (2005). Analysis of optimal strategies for soft landing on the moon from lunar parking orbits. Journal of Earth System Science, 114, 807-813. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02715967
- Ross, I. M. and Fahroo, F. (2004). Pseudospectral knotting methods for solving optimal control problems. Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 27, 397-405. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.3426
- Tu, L., Yuan, J., Luo, J., Ning, X., and Zhou, R. (2007). Lunar soft landing rapid trajectory optimization using direct collocation method and nonlinear programming. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Space Information Technology, Wuhan, China.
- Optimal Trajectory Planning for Multiphase Lunar Landing∗∗Authors are thankful to DST-FIST for its financial support in acquiring DIDO software. vol.49, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifacol.2016.03.040
- Guidance Method for Braking Phase of Lunar Lander vol.54, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.2514/1.A33641
- Optimal Lunar Landing Trajectory Design for Hybrid Engine vol.2015, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/462072
- Optimal phase-angle design for the powered-descent phase of lunar lander vol.230, pp.11, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1177/0954410016632015
- An optimal trajectory design for the lunar vertical landing vol.230, pp.11, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1177/0954410016638871