- Volume 55 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Characteristics of Imagery Thinking in the Processes of Science-Gifted Students' Generating Analogy
과학영재의 비유 만들기 과정에서 나타난 심상적 사고의 특성
- Received : 2011.06.27
- Accepted : 2011.08.02
- Published : 2011.10.20
In this study, we analyzed the characteristics of imagery thinking in the processes of generating analogy of seventh grade science-gifted students in terms of the information-processing of imagery. The analyses of the results revealed that science-gifted students' information-processing of imagery in the processes of generating analogy consisted of image generation, image operation, and image representation. The types of imagery used by science-gifted students were classified into perception imagery, memory imagery, and imagination imagery, and there were some differences in the patterns of information-processing of imagery. In the bases of these results, we suggested the information-processing model of imagery by the types of imagery used in generating analogy. The results of this study may provide useful implication to develop effective methods for a strategy of generating analogy emphasizing the interaction between analogy thinking and imagery thinking which promotes imagery thinking of science-gifted students.
Generating analogy;Imagery thinking;Information-processing of imagery;Science-gifted student
- Renzulli, J. S.; Reis, S. M. Gifted. Child. Quarterly 2003, 39, 7.
- Betts, G. T. Roeper Review 2004, 26, 190. https://doi.org/10.1080/02783190409554269
- Kim, J.; Ha, J.; Park, K.; Kang, S. J. Gifted/Talented Educ. 2008, 18, 1.
- Choi, H. The Korean Society for the Gifted and Talent 2003, 13, 1.
- Han, K.; Bae, M.; Park, I. Korean Assoc. Sci. Educ. 2003, 23, 21.
- Sternberg, R. J. A theory of wisdom, intelligence, and creativity synthesized; Cambridge University Press: NY, U.S.A., 2003.
- Sternberg, R. J.; Lubart, R. I. American psychologist 1995, 51, 677.
- Seung, E. J. Educational Psychology 2000, 14, 219.
- Lee, S.; Hur, M.; An, J. Korean J. Biology Educ. 2005, 33, 371.
- Karwowski, M.; Soszynski, M. Thinking skill and creativity 2008, 3, 163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsc.2008.07.001
- Mayo, J. A. J. Constructivist Psychology 2001, 14, 187. https://doi.org/10.1080/10720530126292
- Clement, J. Generation of spontaneous analogies by students solving science problems; Paper presented at the International Conference on Thinking, 3rd, Honolulu, HI, 1987 (ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. ED 286758).
- Kim, Y. Development and application of a teaching strategy using analogy-generating for science-gifted students. Ph.D. Thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, 2011.
- Kosslyn, S. M.; Thompson, W. L.; Ganis, G. The case for mental imagery; Oxford university press: Oxford, U.K., 2006, p 134.
- Farah, M. J. Cognition 1984, 18, 245. https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-0277(84)90026-X
- Edens, K. M.; Ellen, P. School Science and Mathematics 2003, 103, 135. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1949-8594.2003.tb18230.x
- Jo, J.; Lee, W.; Yeom, N. The Korean Society for the Study of Elementary Educ. 2005, 18, 75.
- Kim, Y.; Moon, S.; Noh, T. J. Korean Assoc. Sci. Educ. 2009, 29, 861.
- Noh, T.; Yang, C.; Kang, H. J. Korean Elementary Sci. Educ. 2009, 28, 292.
- Clement, J. Cognitive Sci. 1988, 12, 563. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15516709cog1204_3
- Noh, T.; Yang, C.; Kang, H. J. Korean Elementary Sci. Educ. 2010, 29, 219.
- Kim, Y.; Park, W.; Noh, T. J. Korean Chem. Soc. 2010, 54, 621. https://doi.org/10.5012/jkcs.2010.54.5.621
- Kwon, H.; Choi, E.; Noh, T. J. Korean Chem. Soc. 2003, 47, 265. https://doi.org/10.5012/jkcs.2003.47.3.265
- Clement, J.; Zietsman, A.; Monaghan, J. Imagery in science learning in students and experts; Springer: Dordrecht, Netherlands, 2005, p 169.
- Kosslyn, S. M.; Brunn, J.; Cave, K. R.; Wallach, R. W. Cognition 1984, 18, 195. https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-0277(84)90025-8
- Lee, H. Architectural Institute of Korea 1997, 13, 37.
- Hur, H. Study on the concepting method of design being applyed a mental image. M. S. Thesis, Kookmin University, Seoul, Korea, 2003.
- Clarke, C. B. The impact of self-generated analogies on at-risk students' interest and motivation to learn. Ph.D. Thesis, The Florida State University, FL, U.S.A., 2005.
- Riding, R. J.; Watts, M. Educational Psychology 1997, 17, 179. https://doi.org/10.1080/0144341970170113
- Kim, J.; Han, W. Korean J. Experimental and Cognitive Psychology 1993, 5, 56.
- Kwon, H. Status of using analogy and factors influencing conceptual understanding with analogy in chemistry education. Ph.D. Thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, 2000.
- Cho, J.; Lee, W. The J. Elementary Educ. 2005, 18, 75.
- An Analysis of Verbal Interaction and Analogy-generating Pattern of Science-gifted Students in Learning Using Analogy-generating Strategy vol.35, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2015.35.6.1063
Supported by : 한국연구재단