- Volume 39 Issue 3
Functionality Analysis of Korean Medicine Fermented by Lactobacillus Strains
유산발효에 의한 발효한약의 기능분석
- Kang, Dong-Hee (Department of Microbiology, College of Natural Science, Keimyung University) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Soo (Department of Microbiology, College of Natural Science, Keimyung University)
- Received : 2011.02.01
- Accepted : 2011.06.16
- Published : 2011.09.28
Through the process of fermentation with Lactobacillus strains this study has evaluated the functionality of the traditional Korean medicine Bangpungtongsungsan after the addition of four other medicinal ingredients. In order to facilitate the growth of the Lactobacillus strains brown sugar was added to the herbal substances used. For both DPPH radical scavenging activities and SOD-like activities the medicinal mixture, when fermented through heterogeneous co-cultures, scored higher (at 77% and 42%, respectively) than when not fermented (at 31.7% and 36.3%, respectively). The co-cultured Korean medicine inhibited the growth of Bacillus subtilis PCI 219, Pseudomonas aeruginosa KCTC 2004, Staphylococcus aureus subsp. aureus KCTC 1916 and Propionibacterium acnes KCTC 3314. The inhibiting effects on
- Bae, H. C., J. Y. Lee and M. S. Nam. 2005. Effect of red ginseng extract on growth of Lactobacillus sp., Escherichia coli and Listeria monocytogenes in pH controled medium. Korean J. Food. Sci. Ani. Resour. 25: 257-264.
- Blois, M. S. 1985. Antioxidant determination by use of stable free radical. Nature. 191: 1199-1203.
- Cho, I. S., Y. H. Han, G. Y. Lee and K. Y. Park. 2007. Search for medicinal plants on improvable effect of intestinal microflora. Korean J. Medicinal Crop Sci. 15: 26-29.
- Choi, O. B. 2002. Antiallergic effects of Petasites japonicum. Korean J. Food & Nutr. 15: 382-385.
- Gibson, G. R. and M. B. Roberfroid. 1995. Dietary modulation of the human colonic microbiota: introducing the concept of prebiotics. J. Nutrition. 125: 1401-1412.
- Huang, F., K. Yamaki, X. Tong, L. Fu, R. Zhang, Y. Cai, R. Yanagisawa, K. I. Inoue, H. Takano and S. Yoshino. 2008. Inhibition of the antigen-induced activation of RBL-2H3 cells by sinomenine. International Immunopharmacology. 8: 502-507. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intimp.2007.12.009
- Jung, H. K. 2001. Selection Criteria for Probiotics and Their Industrial Applications. Bioindustry news. 14: 39-48.
- Jung, Y. J., D. O. Han, B. H. Choi, C. Park, H. J. Lee, S. H. Kim and D. H. Hahm. 2007. Effect of fermented herbal extracts, HP-1 on enzyme activities and gene expressions related to alcohol metabolism in ethanol-loaded rats. Korean J. Oriental Physiology & Pathology. 21: 387-391.
- Kim, D. H., S. B. Han, J. S. Park and M. J. Han. 1994. Fermentation of antler and its biological activity. Korean J. Pharmacogn. 25: 233-237.
- Kim, J. D. and T. S. Shin. 2002. The growth promoting effect of Bifidobacterium bifidum by combination of natural products bearing antioxidative capacity. Korean J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 30: 388-394.
- Kim, K. B., K. H. Yoo, H. Y. Park and J. M. Jeong. 2006. Antioxidative activities of commercial edible plant extracts distributed in Korea. J. Korean Soc. Appl. Biol. Chem. 49: 328-333.
- Kim, N. J., Y. H. Jin and N. D. Hong. 1995. Studies on the processing of crude drugs (IV): Physico-chemical transformation of glycyrrhizin in glycyrrhizae radix by processing. Korean J. Phamacogn. 26: 31-39.
- Kim, S. H. and Y. H. Park. 2008. Antimicrobial resistance and food safety. Safe food. 3: 30-36.
- Kim, S. Y., K. S. Park, S. H. Lee, S. W. Jung and W. S. Noh. 2006. A study on effect of Acanthopanax sessiliflorum seemen water extract on the growth of lactic acid bacteria. J. East Asian Soc. Dietary Life. 16: 357-363.
- Kitani K., C. Minami, T. Amamoto, S. Kanai, G. O. Ivy and M. C. Carrillo. 2002. Pharmacological interventions in aging and aging associated disorders: potencials of propargylamine for human use. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 959: 295-307.
- Lee, J. C. 2005. Effects of Gamibangpungtongseungsan on lipid composition and antioxidant in rat fed high fat. Korean J. Herbology. 20: 69-75.
- Lee, M. K., G. P. Choi, L. H. Ryu, G. Y. Lee, C. Y. Yu and H. Y. Lee. 2004. Enhanced immune activity and cytotoxicity of Artemisia capillaris Thunb. extracts against human cell lines. Korean J. Medicinal Crop Sci. 12: 36-42.
- Lim, S. D., K. S. Kim, H. S. Kim and Y. K. Park. 1998. A study on effect of medicinal herbs extract on the growth of lactic acid bacteria. 2. Effect of Daechoo, Goldamcho, Jiwhang water extracts on the growth of lactic acid bacteria. Korean J. Dairy Sci. 20: 53-60.
- Marklund, S. and G. Marklund. 1974. Involvement of the superoxide anion radical in the autoxidation of pyrogallol and a convenient assay for superoxide dismutase. Eur. J. Biochem. 47: 469-474. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1432-1033.1974.tb03714.x
- Mosmann, T. 1983. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: Application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J. Immunological Methods. 65: 55-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1759(83)90303-4
- Park, E. K., J. H. Sung, H. T. Trinh, E. A. Bae, H. K. Yun, S. S. Hong and D. H. Kim. 2008. Lactic acid bacterial fermentation increases the antiallergic effects of Ixeris dentate. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 18: 308-313.
- Park. S. J., D. H. Kim, N. S. Paek and S. S. Kim. 2006. Preparation and quality characteristics of the fermentation product of ginseng by lactic acid bacteria (FGL). 2006. J. Ginseng Res. 30: 88-94. https://doi.org/10.5142/JGR.2006.30.2.088
- Shin, J. Y. 2001. Screening of natural products that have activities against skin-aging. Korean J. Food & Nutr. 14: 568-572.
- Shon, M. Y. 2007. Antioxidant and anticancer activities of Poria cocos and Machilus thunbergii fermented with mycelial mushrooms. Food Industry and Nutrition. 12: 51-57.
- Shon, M. Y., S. H. Nam and S. W. Lee. 2007. Antioxidant, anticancer activities and Nitric Oxide Production of Euphoria longana fermented with lactic acid bacteria and Bacillus subtilis. Korean J. Food Preserv. 14: 531-537.
- Son, J. M. and S. U. Hong. 2007. The Effects of Bangpungtongsungsan extract to the skin damage on mice model after atopic dermatitis elicitation. Korean J. Oriental Medical Ophthalmology & Otolaryngology & Dermatology. 20: 99- 114.
- Yamada. P., H. Isoda, J. K. Han, T. P. N. Talorete, T. Yamaguchi and Y. Abe. 2007. Inhibitory effect of fulvic acid extracted from canadian sphagnum peat on chemical mediator release by RBL-2H3 and KU812 cells. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 71: 1294-1305. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.60702