- Volume 25 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Motion Control of Omnidirectional Mobile Platform for Path Following Using Backstepping Technique
Dinh, Viet-Tuan;Thinh, Doan-Phuc;Hoang, Giang;Kim, Hak-Kyeong;Oh, Sea-June;Kim, Sang-Bong
- Received : 2011.06.13
- Accepted : 2011.10.17
- Published : 2011.10.31
This paper proposes a controller design for an omnidirectional mobile platform (OMP) with three wheels using backstepping control. A kinematic model and dynamic model of the system are presented. Based on the dynamic modeling, a backstepping controller is designed to stabilize the OMP when following a desired path. The controller is designed based on a backstepping control theory. It includes two steps: first, a virtual state and a stability function are introduced. Second, Lyapunov functions for the system are chosen and an equation for the virtual control that makes the system stabile is obtained. The system stability is guaranteed by the Lyapunov stability theory. The simulation and experimental results are presented to demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed controller.
Backstepping control;Kinematic controller;Lyapunov function candidate;Omnidirectional mobile platform (OMP)
- Chen, S.H., Juang, J.C. and Su, S.H. (2009). "Backstepping Control with Sum of Squares Design for Omni-directional Mobile Robots," ICROS-SICE International Joint Conference 2009, Fukuoka International Congress Center, Japan, pp 545-550.
- Fierro, R. and Lewis, F.L. (1997). "Control of a Nonholonomic Mobile Robot: Backstepping Kinematics into Dynamics," Journal of Robotic Systems, Vol 14, No 3, pp 149-163. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4563(199703)14:3<149::AID-ROB1>3.0.CO;2-R
- Hung, N., Kim D.H., Kim, H.K. and Kim S.B. (2009). "Tracking Control of Omnidirectional Mobile Robot Using Sliding Mode Control Technique," Proceeding of the 2009 International Symposium on Advanced Engineering, Busan, Korea, pp 42-45.
- Hung, N., Im, J.S., Jeong, S.K., Kim, H.K. and Kim, S.B. (2010). "Design of a Sliding Mode Controller for an Automatic Guided Vehicle and Its Implementation," International Journal of Control, Automation, and Systems, Vol 8, No 1, pp 81-90. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12555-010-0111-1
- Hyeong, S.J., Jo, H.K., Sun, I. and U, I.J. (2007). "A Design of Adaptive Backstepping Controller for Improving Position Accuracy of Linear Motor-based Container Transportation System with Dynamic," Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, Vol 29, No 5, pp 548-555.
- Nagy, T.K., D'Andrea, R. and Ganuly, P. (2004). "Nearoptimal Dynamic Trajectory Generation and Control of an Omnidirectional Vehicle," Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol 47, pp 47-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.robot.2004.02.003
- Li, X., Wang, M. and Zell, A. (2007). "Dribbling Control of Omnidirectional Soccer Robots," 2007 IEEE International conf. on robotics and Automation, Italy, pp 2623-2628.
- Slotine, J.J.E. and Li, W. (1991). Applied Nonlinear Control, Prentice-Hall International Inc.
- Sulaiman, N.A.B., Yusop, A.B.M. and Samsudin, S.I.B. (2010). "Solving Tracking Problem of a Nonholonomic Wheel Mobile Robot Using Backstepping Technique," Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology, Vol 2, No 1, pp 85-92.
- Vazquez, J.A. and Villa, M.V. (2007). "Computed-Torque Control of an Omnidirectional Mobile Robot," ICEEE 2007 4th International conf. on Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Mexico, pp 274-277.
- Watanabe, K., Shiraishi, Y., Tzafestas, S.G., Tang J. and Fukuda, T. (1998). "Feedback Control of an Omnidirectional Autonomous Platform for Mobile Service Robots," Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems, Vol 22, pp 315-330. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008048307352
- Yagiz, N. and Hacioglu, Y. (2008). "Backstepping Control of a Vehicle with Active Suspensions," Control Engineering Practice, Vol 16, pp 1457-1467. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conengprac.2008.04.003
- Zhang, Y., Fidan and Ioannou, P.A. (2003). "Backstepping Control of Linear Time-Varying Systems With Known and Unknown Parameters," IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol 48, No 11, pp 1908-1925. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.2003.819074