- Volume 25 Issue 5
This paper analyzes the fatigue-life of welded joints using the notch stress approach. In the notch stress approach, the notch effects are usually approximated by introducing weld-bead parameters for the local detailed weld joints. The actual bead shape is complex and 3-dimensional. It may also greatly influence the fatigue strength. In this study, the welded shape was modeled using a 3D-scanner. The critical distance method was adopted in the evaluation of the fatigue effective notch stress for the weldments. Fatigue life tests were performed to verify the present method of fatigue life estimation for two types of welded plates with longitudinal attachments. The estimated results of the present methods were applied to the results of the experiment. The results of the analysis showed that the scatter of fatigue-life for the experimental data expressed in the nominal stress was significantly reduced by applying the effective fatigue stress of the present study.
Local stress;Fatigue effective notch stress;Critical distance;Finite fatigue life
- 임성우, 장인화, 김상식, 송하철, (2005). "용접구조물의 부식피로수명에 미치는 용접부 개선처리 효과", 한국해양공학회지, 제22권 제2호, pp 50-57.
- Bellet, D., Taylor, D., Marco, S., Mazzeo, E., Guillois, J. and Pircher, T. (2005). "The Fatigue Behaviour of Three- Dimensional Stress Concentrations", International Journal of Fatigue, Vol 27, pp 207-221. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2004.07.006
- Neuber, H. (1958). Theory of Notch Stresses: Priciples for Exact Calculation of Strength with Reference to Structural Form and Material, Springer Verlag, Berlin.
- Peterson, R.E. (1974). Stress Concentration Factors, New York Wiley & Sons.
- Radaj, D., Sonsico, C.M. and Fricke, W. (2006). Fatigue Assessment of Welded Joints by Local Approaches, Second Edition, Woodhead Publ.
- Susmel, L. and Taylor, D. (2007). "A Novel Formulation of he Theory of Critical Distances to Estimate Lifetime of Notched Components in the Medium-cycle Fatigue Regime", Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures, Vol 30, pp 567-581. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2695.2007.01122.x
- Taylor, D. (2007). Theory of Critical Distances-A New Perspective in Fracture Mechanics, Elsevier.
- Taylor, D., Barrett, N. and Lucano, G. (2002). "Some New Methods for Predicting Fatigue in Welded Joints", International Journal of Fatigue, Vol 24, pp 509-518. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-1123(01)00174-8
- Yang, P.D.C. and Ahn, J.H. (2010). "A Comparative Study of the Fatigue Strength on Cruciform Joints by Local Stress Approaches", Journal of Society of Naval Architecture of Korea, Vol 47, No 4, pp 573-579. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2010.47.4.573
- Yang, P.D.C. and Park, C.M. (2009). "Notch Fatigue Analysis Based on the Actual Bead Shape of Welded Joint", Journal of Society of Naval Architecture of Korea, Vol 46, No 4, pp 417-423. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2009.46.4.417
- Yang, P.D.C., Park, C.M. and Ahn, J.H. (2009). "Fatigue Strength Assessment of Cruciform Joints by Local Stress Approaches", Proceeding of the Annual Autumn Meeting, Society of Naval Architects of Korea, Moonkyung, 29-30 October, 2009, pp 113-118.
- Yang, P.D.C. and Song, J.K. (2010). "Fatigue Assessment of Weldments with Longitudinal Attachments by the Notch Stress Approaches", Proceeding of the Annual Autumn Meeting, Society of Naval Architects of Korea, Changwon, 21-22 October, 2010, pp 1249-1253.
Supported by : 울산대학교