- Volume 7 Issue 2
Analysis of the high PM10 concentration episode on July 2005 at Seoul
2005년 7월 서울시 미세먼지 고농도 현상에 대한 분석
- Lee, Hyung-Min (Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Kim, Jung Youn (ERM Korea) ;
- Kim, Yong Pyo (Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, Ewha Womans University)
- 이형민 (이화여자대학교 환경공학과) ;
- 김정연 ;
- 김용표 (이화여자대학교 환경공학과)
- Received : 2011.05.25
- Accepted : 2011.06.21
- Published : 2011.06.30
High concentration of PM10 was reported on late July, 2005 in Seoul along with high particulate ion concentrations in PM2.5. To identify the reason for the severe air pollution episode, time series analysis of the PM10 concentration in the monitoring sites over Korea, wind sector analysis, trend analysis of the ion concentrations, and air mass trajectory analysis were carried out. It was found that the episode could be classified into two separate periods; first one between July 22 and 27 and second one between July 28 and 31. During the first period, the PM10 concentrations at Seoul were in good correlation with the PM10 concentration three hours before at Chuncheon. Trajectory analysis showed that air mass moved from north and turned to west at Kangwon province to Seoul. The concentrations of PM10 mass and ionic species were lower than the second period. During the second period, air mass moved from northern China to Seoul directly and the PM10 concentrations all over the mid-Korean peninsula showed the same trend. These observations suggest that the air pollution during the second period was affected by direct transport of air pollutants from northern China. Thus, the air quality at Seoul during both periods were influenced by long-range transport from outside rather than by local sources, but with different transport patterns.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Choi, E.K. and Kim, Y.P. (2004). Major factors affecting PM2.5 water content in Seoul and Gosan (in Korean), J. Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment, 20, 803-810.
- Hong, S.Y., Lee, J.J., Lee, J.Y., and Kim, Y.P. (2008) Comparison of the fine particle concentrations in Seoul and other foregin mega-cities (in Korean), Particle and Aerosol Research, 4, 1-7.
- Kim, I.S., Lee, J.Y., and Kim, Y.P. (2011). Energy ysage and emissions of air pollutants in North Korea (in Korean), J. Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment, in press.
- Kim, J.Y. and Kim, Y.P. (2007). PM2.5 inorganic ions in Seoul measured at 2004-2005 (in Korean), Particle and Aerosol Research, 3, 57-66.
- Kim, Y.P. (2006) Air pollution in Seoul caused by aerosols (in Korean), J. Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment., 22, 535-553.
- Kim, Y.P., Seinfeld, J.H., and Saxena, P. (1993a) Atmospheric Gas-Aerosol Equilibrium I. Thermodynamic Model, Aerosol Science and Technology, 19, 157-181. https://doi.org/10.1080/02786829308959628
- Kim, Y.P., Seinfeld, J.H., and Saxena, P. (1993b) Atmospheric Gas-Aerosol Equilibrium II. Analysis of Common Approximations and Activity Coefficient Calculation Methods, Aerosol Science and Technology, 19, 182-198. https://doi.org/10.1080/02786829308959629
- Kim, Y.S. and Oh H.S. (1999). Studies of high-ozone episodes in the greater Seoul area between 1990 and 1997 (in Korean), J. Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment, 15, 267-280.
- Lee, B.K., Im, Y.H., Ha, J.Y., and Lee, D.S. (2005). Development of an automated and continuous analysis system for PM2.5 and chemical characterization of PM2.5 in the atmosphere at Seoul (in Korean), J. Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment, 21, 439-458.
- Park, M.H., Kim, Y.P., and Kang, C.H. (2004). Aerosol composition change due to dust storm: Measurements between 1992 and 1999 at Gosan, Korea, J. Geophysical Research, 109, D19S13, doi:10.1029/2003JD004110.
- Shin, S.E., Jung, C.H., and Kim, Y.P. (2011). Analysis of the measurement difference for the PM10 concentrations between Beta-ray absorption and gravimetric methods at Gosan, Aerosol and Air Quality Research, in presee.