- Volume 1 Issue 4
Recently, several problems have occurred in the space, infra-structure, and facility of the contiguity of existing harbors due to the trend of enlarged container vessels. In this regard, the Mobile Harbor has been proposed conceptually in this study as an effective solution for these problems. The concept is that of a transfer loader that transfers containers from a large container ship to the harbor on land, and is a catamaran type floating barge. The catamaran-type vessel is well known for its advantage in maneuverability, resistance, and effectiveness for working on board. For the safe and effective operation of the two floating bodies (a container ship and the mobile harbor in the near sea detached from the quay), robot arms, novel crane systems, and pneumatic fenders are specially devised with an additional mooring facility or DP (dynamic positioning) system. In this study, this concept is to be verified through comparison and simulation studies under various environmental conditions. It is shown that the proposed concept is in general feasible but there are several areas for further investigation and improvement.
Mobile harbor;Hydrodynamic interaction;Mooring system;Multi-body interactions;Dynamic positioning system
- API RP 2T, Recommended Practice for Plan-ning, Designing, and Consulting Tension Leg Platforms, 2nd Edition, American Petroleum Institute, N.W., Washington D.C. (1997).
- Bhattacharyya, R., Dynamics of Marine Vehicles, Wiley & Sons, USA, (1978).
- Kim, M. H., Winpost User's Manual, 3rd ed., Texas A&M University, College Station, USA, (2000).
- Kim, Y. B., Kim, M. H., Hull/Mooring/Riser Coupled Dynamic Analysis of a Turret-Moored FPSO Compared with OTRC Experiment, J. of Ship and Ocean Technology, v.8, no.3, (2004) pp.26-39.
- Kim, Y. B., Kim, M. H., Dynamic Analysis of Multiple-Body Floating Platforms Coupled with Mooring Lines and Risers, J. of Ship and Ocean Technology, v.9, no.1, (2005) pp.11-26.
- Kwak, H. U., Choi, H. S., Shin, H. S., A Motion Analysis of FPSO in Irregular Waves including Swells , J. of Ship and Ocean Technology, v.9, no.2, (2005) pp.21-28.
- Lee, C. H., WAMIT User's Manual, Ver. 6.4, WAMIT, Inc, MA, USA, (2006).
- OCIMF, Prediction of Wind and Current Loads on VLCCs, 2nd Edition, Witherby & Co. Ltd, London, England, (1994).
- Wichers, J.E.W., A Simulation Model for a Single Point Moored Tanker, Ph.D. Dissertation, Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands, (1988).
Supported by : KAIST