- Volume 12 Issue 4
In this paper, a visco-hysteretic vibration absorber (VA) is proposed to increase the flutter speed of an airfoil and enhance damping in the pre- and post-flutter regimes. The passive system consists of a parallel arrangement of a dashpot and a rateindependent hysteretic element, represented by the Bouc-Wen differential model. The equations of motion are obtained and various tools of linear and nonlinear dynamics are employed to study the effects of the visco-hysteretic VA in the pre- and postflutter ranges.
Visco-hysteretic vibration absorber;Flutter control
- Behal, A., Marzocca, P., Rao, V. M., and Gnann, A. (2006). Nonlinear adaptive control of an aeroelastic two-dimensional lifting surface. Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 29, 382-390. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.14011
- Bouc, R. (1967). Forced vibrations of mechanical systems with hysteresis. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Nonlinear Oscillations, Prague, Czechoslovakia.
- Carpineto, N., Lacarbonara, W., and Vestroni, F. (2010). Hysteresis-based nonlinear vibration absorbers. Proceedings of the 13th Conference on Nonlinear Vibrations, Dynamics Eurodyn, and Mulitbody Systems, Blacksburg, VA.
- Carpineto, N., Vestroni, F., and Lacarbonara, W. (2011). Vibration mitigation by means of hysteretic tuned mass dampers. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Structural Dynamics, Leuven, Belgium.
- Den Hartog, J. P. (1934). Mechanical Vibrations. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Frahm, H. (1911). Device for Damping Vibration of Bodies. US Patent No. 989958.
- Glauert, H. (1947). The Elements of Aerofoil and Airscrew Theory. 2nd ed. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Hu, J. L. and Zhou, L. (2007). Semi-active flutter control of a high-aspect-ratio wing using multiple MR dampers. Proceedings of the Conference on Sensors and Smart Structures Technologies for Civil, Mechanical, and Aerospace Systems, San Diego, CA.
- Lacarbonara, W. and Vestroni, F. (2003). Nonclassical responses of oscillators with hysteresis. Nonlinear Dynamics, 32, 235-258. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1024423626386
- Lee, Y. S., Kerschen, G., Michael McFarland, D., Joel Hill, W., Nichkawde, C., Strganac, T. W., Bergman, L. A., and Vakakis, A. F. (2007a). Suppressing aeroelastic instability using broadband passive targeted energy transfers, part 2: experiments. AIAA Journal, 45, 2391-2400.
- Lee, Y. S., Vakakis, A. F., Bergman, L. A., McFarland, D. M., and Kerschen, G. (2007b). Suppressing aeroelastic instability using broadband passive targeted energy transfers, part 1: theory. AIAA Journal, 45, 693-711. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.24062
- Marzocca, P., Librescu, L., and Silva, W. A. (2002). Flutter, postflutter, and control of a supersonic wing section. Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 25, 962-970. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.4970
- McGowan, A. M. R. (1999). Feasibility study on using shunted piezoelectrics to reduce aeroelastic response. Proceedings of SPIE, 3674, 178-195.
- Meirovitch, L. (1970). Methods of Analytical Dynamics. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Njuguna, J. (2007). Flutter prediction, suppression and control in aircraft composite wings as a design prerequisite: A survey. Structural Control and Health Monitoring, 14, 715-758. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.170
- Reed, W. H., Cazier, F. W., and Foughner, J. T. (1980). Passive Control of Wing/Store Flutter. NASA Technical Memorandum 81865. Washington, DC: National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
- Richard, R. E. and Clark, R. L. (2003). Delta wing flutter control using spatially optimized transducers. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 14, 677-691. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X03038584
- Rocha, J., Moniz, P., and Suleman, A. (2007). Aeroelastic control of a wing with active skins using piezoelectric patches. Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures, 14, 23-32. https://doi.org/10.1080/15376490600864505
- Schweiger, J., Simpson, J., Weiss, F., Coetzee, E., and Boller, C. (1999). Needs for the analysis and integrated design optimization of active and passive structure for active aeroelastic wings. Proceedings of SPIE, 3668, 117-130.
- Vestroni, F., Lacarbonara, W., and Carpineto, N. (2011). Hysteretic Tuned Mass Damper for Passive Control of Mechanical Vibrations. Italy Patent No. RM2011A000434.
- Wen, Y. K. (1976). Method for random vibration of hysteretic systems. Journal of the Engineering Mechanics-ASCE, 102, 249-263.