- Volume 12 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of the Combat Aircraft Susceptibility Against Surface-Based Threat Using the Weighted Score Algorithm
Kim, Joo-Young;Kim, Jin-Young;Lee, Kyung-Tae
- Received : 2011.09.02
- Accepted : 2011.12.07
- Published : 2011.12.30
Aircraft combat survivability is an essential factor in the design of combat aircrafts that operate in an enemy air defense area. The combat aircrafts will be confronted with anti-aircraft artillery and/or surface-to-air missiles (SAM) from the ground, and their survivability can be divided into two categories: susceptibility and vulnerability. This article studies the prediction of susceptibility in the case of a one-on-one engagement between the combat aircraft and a surface-based threat. The weighted score method is suggested for the prediction of susceptibility parameters, and Monte Carlo simulations are carried out to draw qualitative interpretation of the susceptibility characteristics of combat aircraft systems, such as the F-16 C/D, and the hypersonic aircraft, which is under development in the United States, versus ground threat from the SAM SA-10.
Survivability;Susceptibility;Modeling and simulation technique;Weighted score method;Monte Carlo simulation
- Ball, R. E. (2003). The Fundamentals of Aircraft Combat Survivability Analysis and Design. 2nd ed. Reston: American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics. pp. 445-584.
- Choi, K.S. and Lee, K. T. (2011). Study of the UCAS susceptibility parameters and sensitivities by using Monte-Carlo simulation. Journal of the Korean Society for Aeronautical & Space Sciences, 39, 201-288. https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2010.39.3.201
- Kim, J. Y. and Lee, K. T. (2011). Study of the combat aircraft susceptibility against surface-based threat. 2011 Spring Conference of the Korean Society for Aeronautical & Space Sciences, Gyeongju, Korea. pp. 872-878.
- Saaty, T. L. (1990). How to make a decision: the analytic hierarchy process. European Journal of Operational Research, 48, 9-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(90)90057-I
- Yoon, S. J. (2003). Simulation and Simulator. Seoul: Sunhaksa. pp. 33-43.
- The Effects of Heat Shielding in Jet Engine Exhaust Systems on Aircraft Survivability vol.66, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1080/10407782.2013.869441