- Volume 35 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
An Effective Approach of Equivalent Elastic Method for Three-Dimensional Finite Element Analysis of Ceramic Honeycomb Substrates
세라믹 하니컴 담체의 3차원 유한요소해석을 위한 등가탄성방법의 효과적인 접근
- Baek, Seok-Heum (BK21, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Dong-A Univ.) ;
- Cho, Seok-Swoo (Dept. of Vehicle Engineering, Kangwon Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2010.06.03
- Accepted : 2011.01.13
- Published : 2011.03.01
A ceramic monolithic catalyst is a honeycomb structure that consists of two layers. The honeycomb structure is regarded as a continuum in structure and heat-flow analysis. The equivalent mechanical properties of the honeycomb structure were determined by performing finite element analysis (FEA) for a test specimen. Bending strength experiments and FEA of the test specimen used in ASTM C1674-08 standard test were performed individually. The bonding coefficient between the cordierite ceramic layer and the washcoat layer was almost zero. The FEA test specimen was modeled on the basis of the bonding coefficient. The elastic modulus, Poisson's ratio, and the thermal properties of the ceramic monolithic substrate were determined by performing the FEA of the test specimen.
Equivalent Property;Coefficient of Bonding;Rule of Mixtures;Cordierite Ceramic Substrate
- ASTM C1525-04, 2004, Standard Test Method for Determination of Thermal Shock Resistance for Advanced Ceramics by Water Quenching, ASTM International.
- ASTM C1368-06, 2006, Standard Test Method for Determination of Slow Crack Growth Parameters of Advanced Ceramics by Constant Stress-Rate Flexural Testing at Ambient Temperature, ASTM International.
- ASTM C1674-08, 2008, Standard Test Method for Flexural Strength of Advanced Ceramics with Engineered Porosity (Honeycomb Cellular Channels) at Ambient Temperatures, ASTM International.
- Hashin, Z. and Shtrikman, S., 1962, "A Variation Approach to the Theory of the Effective Magnetic Permeability of Multiphase Materials," J. of Applied Physics, Vol. 35, pp. 3125-3131.
- Valdevit, L., Wei, Z., Mercer, C., Zok, F. W. and Evans, A. G., 2006, "Structural Performance of Near-optimal Sandwich Panels and With Corrugated Cores," Int. J. of Solids and Structures, Vol. 43, pp. 4888-4905. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2005.06.073
- Torquato, S., Gibiansky, L. V., Silva, M. J. and Gibson, L. J., 1998, "Effective Mechanical and Transport Properties of Cellular Solids," Int. J. Mech. Sci., Vol. 40, No.1, pp.71-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7403(97)00031-3
- Baek, S. H., Cho, S. S., Shin, S. G. and Joo, W. S., 2006, "Size Effect on the Modulus of Rupture in Automotive Ceramic Monolithic Substrate using Optimization and Response Surface Method," Trans. of the KSME(A), Vol. 30, No. 11, pp. 1392-1400. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2006.30.11.1392
- Baek, S. H., Park, J. S., Kim, M. G. and Cho, S. S., 2010, "A Study on Thermal Shock of Ceramic Monolithic Substrate," Trans. of the KSME(A), Vol. 34, No. 2, pp. 129-137. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2010.34.2.129
- Gulati, S. T., Leonhard, T. and Roe, T. A., 2001, "Shear Strength of Cordierite Ceramic Catalyst Supports," SAE Paper No. 2001-01-0935.
- Gulati, S. T., 1999, "Thin Wall Ceramic Catalyst Supports," SAE Paper No. 1999-01-0269.
- Gulati, S. T., 1985 "Long-Term Durability of Ceramic Honeycombs for Automotive Emission Control," SAE Paper No. 850130.
- Kalamkarov, A. L. and Kolpakov, A. G., 1997, Analysis, Design and Optimization of Composite Structures, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., New York, USA.
- Gulati, S. T., Summers, J. C., Linden, D. G. and White, J. J., 1989, "Improvements in Converter Durability and Activity via Catalyst Formulation," SAE Paper No. 890796.
- Gulati, S. T., Cooper, B. J., Hawker, P. N., Douglas, J. M. K. and Winterborn, D. J. W., 1991, "Optimization of Substrate/Washcoat Interaction for Improved Catalyst Durability," SAE Paper No. 910372.
- Gulati, S. T., Zak, M. E., Jones, L. F., Rieck, J. S., Russ, M. and Brady, M. J., 1999, "Thermal Shock Resistance of Standard and Thin Wall Ceramic Catalysts," SAE Paper No. 1999-01-0273.
- Hu, Z. and Heck, R. M., 1995, "High Temperature Ultra Stable Close-Coupled Catalysts," SAE Paper No. 950254.
- ASTM E855-90, 1994, Metals Test Methods and Analytical Procedures, Vol. 03.02, pp. 650-657.
- ASTM C623-92, 2005, Standard Test Method for Young's Modulus, Shear Modulus, and Poisson's Ratio for Glass and Glass-Ceramics by Resonance, ASTM International.
- O'Connor, D. J., 1989, A Comparison of Test Method for Shear Properties of the Cores of Sandwich Constructions, J. Test. Eval., Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 241-246. https://doi.org/10.1520/JTE11121J
- Nordstrand, T. M. and Carlsson, L. A., 1997, "Evaluation of Transverse Shear Stiffness of Structural Core Sandwich Plates," Composite Structures, Vol. 37, pp. 145-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8223(97)80007-4
- Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) Z2201, 1980, Test Pieces for Tensile Test for Metallic Materials, Japanese Standards Association.
- ANSYS Workbench, 2008, Release 11.0 Documentations, ANSYS Inc., Canonsburg, PA, USA.
- Gulati, S. T., Hampton, L. E. and Lambert, D. W., 2002, "Thermal Shock Resistance of Advanced Ceramic Catalysts for Close-Coupled Application," SAE Paper No. 2002-01-0738.
- Optimization Techniques for the Inverse Analysis of Service Boundary Conditions in a Porous Catalyst Substrate with Fluid-Structure Interaction Problems vol.35, pp.10, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2011.35.10.1161