- Volume 35 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Gaussian Kernel Smoothing of Explicit Transient Responses for Drop-Impact Analysis
낙하 충격 해석을 위한 명시법 과도응답의 가우스커널 평활화 기법
- Park, Moon-Shik (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hannam Univ.) ;
- Kang, Bong-Soo (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hannam Univ.)
- Received : 2010.12.20
- Accepted : 2011.01.07
- Published : 2011.03.01
The explicit finite element method is an essential tool for solving large problems with severe nonlinear characteristics, but its results can be difficult to interpret. In particular, it can be impossible to evaluate its acceleration responses because of severe discontinuity, extreme noise or aliasing. We suggest a new post-processing method for transient responses and their response spectra. We propose smoothing methods using a Gaussian kernel without in depth knowledge of the complex frequency characteristics; such methods are successfully used in the filtering of digital signals. This smoothing can be done by measuring the velocity results and monitoring the response spectra. Gaussian kernel smoothing gives a better smoothness and representation of the peak values than other approaches do. The floor response spectra can be derived using smoothed accelerations for the design.
Explicit Method;Gaussian Kernel Smoothing;Drop Impact;Surveillance Robot;Protection Cover;Transient Response;Floor Response Spectrum
- Kim, J. G. and Park, Y. K., 2004, "Experimental Verification of Drop/Impact Simulation for a Cellular Phone," Experimental Mechanics, Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 375-380. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02428090
- Joung, J.H., Kim, H. B. R., Seong, Y. H. and Choi, H. H., 2007, "A Study on Strength Evaluation of LCD Glass for Drop Test," J. Korean Soc. Precision Engineering, Vol. 24, No. 10, pp. 99-108.
- Samgeeth, R., Tho, C. H. and Smith, M. R., 2009, “Rotorcraft Fuel System Drop Test Simulation Methodology,” American Helicopter Society 65th Annual Forum, Grapevine, Texas, pp. 1478-1487.
- Kim, K. S., Chung, S. H., Kim, J. S., Choi, K. S. and Yun, H. D., 2010, "Demonstration of Structural Performance of IP-2 Packages by Advanced Analytical Simulation and Full-Scale Drop Test," Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol. 240, No. 3, pp. 639-655. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2009.11.035
- Diehl, T., Carroll, D. and Nagaraj, B., 2000, "Applications of DSP to Explicit Dynamic FEA Simulations of Elastically-Dominated Impact Problems," Shock and Vibration,Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 167-177. https://doi.org/10.1155/2000/931351
- Diehl, T., 2008, “Integrating Theory, Experiment, and FEA to Solve Challenging Nonlinear Mechanics Problems,” 2008 Abaqus Users’ Conference, pp. 1-17.
- Varpasuo, P., 1999, "Development of the Floor Response Spectra Using Large 3D Model." Nuclear Engineering and Design,Vol. 192, No. 2, pp. 229-241. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(99)00131-4
- Paskalov, A. and Reese, S., 2003, "Deterministic and Probabilistic Floor Response Spectra," Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vo. 23, No.7, pp. 605-618. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0267-7261(03)00064-2
- Park, M. S., 2007, "Assessment of Floor Response Spectrum by Parametric Error Estimation and Its Application to a Spring-Mounted Reactor Vessel Assembly," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vo. 21, No.12, pp. 2091-2100. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03177468
- DOD, 1989, MIL-STD-810F, Test Method Standard for Environmental Engineering Considerations and Laboratory Tests, USA.
- IEC, 2008, Environmental Testing Part 2-27: Shock.
- Abu Al-Rub, R. K. and Voyiadjis, G. Z., 2004, “Analytical and Experimental Determination of the Material Intrinsic Length Scale of Strain Gradient Plasticity Theory from Micro- and Nano-Indentation Experiments,” International Journal of Plasticity, Vol. 20, No. 6, pp. 1139-1182. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijplas.2003.10.007
- Guo, Y., Huang, Y., Gao, H., Zhuang, Z. and Hwang, K. C., 2001, “Taylor-Based Nonlocal Theory of Plasticity: Numerical Studies of the Micro-Indentation Experiments and Crack Tip Fields,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vo. 38, No.42-43, pp. 7447-7460. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7683(01)00047-6
- Dassault Systèmes Simulia, Inc., 2010, Abaqus v. 6.9, Providence, U.S.A.
- Kang, B. S. and Park, M. S., 2010, “A Protector Design and Shock Analysis for a Launch Reconnaissance Robot,” Proceedings of the KSME 2010 Fall Annual Meeting, Jeju, Korea, pp. 1061-1064.
- Parametric Technology Corporation, Inc., 2010, Mathcad R14, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
- Hardness estimation for pile-up materials by strain gradient plasticity incorporating the geometrically necessary dislocation density vol.27, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-012-1243-4
- Protector Design and Shock Analysis for a Launch-Reconnaissance Robot vol.35, pp.8, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2011.35.8.971