- Volume 35 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Study on Structural Analysis and Manufacturing of Polyethylene Canoes
폴리에틸렌 카누의 구조해석과 제조에 관한 연구
- Park, Chan-Kyun (Dept. of Vehicle Engineering, Kangwon Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Kim, Min-Gun (Dept. of Mechanical & Biomedical Engineering, Kangwon Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Cho, Seok-Swoo (Dept. of Vehicle Engineering, Kangwon Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2010.07.05
- Accepted : 2010.12.27
- Published : 2011.03.01
Canoes are usually made from wood or FRP. However, today environment-friendly materials are preferred, and hulls made of FRP are prohibited in some countries. Polyethylene can be recycled and so is suitable for synthetic canoe construction. We used 3D Boat-Design to determine the hydrostatic properties of the canoe. Flow-structure coupled analysis was performed using ANSYS Workbench R12.1. The hull pressure and passenger weight were considered as canoe loading factors. The key parameters for the canoe are the design variables. The constraints are as follows: (1) The maximum stress must not exceed 50% of the polyethylene yield stress; and (2) the canoe weight must not exceed 50 kg. The optimal structural conditions were obtained by the response optimization process. The components of the canoe hull were manufactured from polyethylene pipes and joined by thermal fusion methods. Tests showed that the polyethylene canoe had better performance than existing canoes.
Polyethylene Canoe;Fluid-Structure Coupled Analysis;Structure Optimization;Polyethylene Plate Welding Method
- Kang, B.Y. and Park, C.H., 2008, "A Study on the Anti-Rolling Effect of the Stern Sub-body in the Stepped-Hull Planing Boat," Journal of the Korean Society of the Ocean Engineers, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 84-89.
- Kim, H.J., Kim, S.H. and Jeong, J.H., 2009, "A Study on the Development of Ship Building for the Wooden Canoe by Piling-up Laminated Wooden Plates Kit ," Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Engineering, Vol. 33, No. 5, pp. 762-769. https://doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2009.33.5.762
- KS, 2008, KS M 3407, "Polyethylene Pipe for General Purpose."
- Lee, C.K., 1997, "Joining of Polyethylene Polymer by the Ultrasonic Welding," Journal of the Korean Society of Machine Tool Engineers, pp. 73-81.
- Hamlin, C., N.A., 1996, "Preliminary design of Boats and Ship," Coruell Maritime Press, Maryland, pp. 22-35.
- Paradis, F. and Gendron, G., 2007, "Structural Modeling and Testing of a Concrete Canoe," Ocean Engineering, Vol. 34, pp. 206-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2006.01.006
- ANSYS CFX V12.1, 2010, "ANSYS CFX Tutorial, Tutorial 7: Free Surface Flow Over a Bump," ANSYS Inc., Pennsylvania.
- ANSYS WORKBENCH R12.1, 2010, "Mechanical, Applying Loads," ANSYS Inc. Pennsylvania.
- Park, S.Y,, Choi, H.H. and Park, C.B., 1999, "A Study of Comparison on the Isometric and Isokinetic Muscular Strength in Collegiate Students," The Journal of Physical Education, Vol. 27, pp. 273-286.
- Lee, S.H., 2008, "Engineering Statistics Analysis Using Minitab," IRE Tech. Press, Gyeonggido, pp.762-775.
- Kang, B.Y., 2007, "Build Wooden canoe Myself," Mannam Press, Seoul, pp. 34-94.
- Structural design of transom pod for outboard motor in polyethylene boat vol.31, pp.12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-017-1118-9