- Volume 35 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
End-Shape Effect for Stress Concentration Reduction of Composite Single-Lap Bonded Joint
끝단형상에 따른 복합소재 단일겹치기 체결부의 응력집중 저감에 관한 연구
- Kim, Jung-Seok (Railway Structure Department, Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Hwang, Jae-Yeon (Railway Structure Department, Korea Railroad Research Institute)
- Received : 2010.11.10
- Accepted : 2011.01.10
- Published : 2011.03.01
We evaluated the stress-reduction effect for different shapes of a composite adherend with or without a spew fillet. Six different single-lap joint specimens were modeled and assessed using nonlinear finite element analysis. Moreover, we investigated the effect of the stiffness ratio of the adherend and adhesive. The single-lap joint with normal tapering had the highest stress values, and the single-lap joint with reverse tapering and a spew fillet had the lowest stress values. The composite adherends with higher stiffness had lower stress values, and the adhesives with lower stiffness had lower stress values.
End Shape;Composite;Stress Concentration;Bonded Joint
- Ban, C. S., Lee, Y. H., Choi, J. H. and Kwon, J. H., 2008, "Strength Prediction of Adhesive Joints Using the Modified Damage Zone Theory," Composite Structures, Vol. 86, pp. 96-100. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2008.03.016
- Wang, Z. Y., Wang, L., Guo, W., Deng, H., Tong, J. W. and Aymerich, F., 2009, "An Investigation on Strain/Stress Distribution Around the Overlap End of Laminated Composite Single-Lap Joints," Composite Structures, Vol. 89, pp. 589-595. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2008.11.002
- Shenoy, I. V., Asgcroft, I. A., Critchlow, G. W., Crocombe, A. D. and Abdel Wahab, M., 2009, "An Investigation into the Crack Initiation and Propagation Behaviour of Bonded Single-Lap Joints Using Backface Strain," Int. J. Adhesion & adhesives, Vol. 29, pp. 361-371. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijadhadh.2008.07.008
- Kim, Y. G., Lee, S. J., Lee, Y. M. and Lee, D. G., 1996, "Failure Model for the Adhesively Bonded Tubular Single Lap Joints Under Static Tensile Loads," J. of KSME, Vol. 20, No. 5, pp. 1543-1551.
- Tsai, M. Y. and Morton, J., 1995, "The Effect of a Spew Fillet on Adhesive Stress Distributions in Laminated Composite Single-Lap Joints," Composite Structures, Vol. 32, pp. 123-131. https://doi.org/10.1016/0263-8223(95)00059-3
- Lang, T. P. and Mallick, P. K., 1998, "Effect of Spew Geometry on Stresses in Single Lap Adhesive Joints," Int. J. Adhesion & adhesives, Vol. 18, pp. 167-177. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-7496(97)00056-0
- Boss, J. N., Ganesh, V. K. and Lim, C. T., 2003, "Modulus Grading Versus Geometrical Grading of Composite Adherends in Single-lap Bonded Joints," Composite Structures, Vol. 62, pp. 113-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8223(03)00097-7
- Haghani, R., Alemrani, M. and Kliger, R., 2010, "Stress Distribution in Adhesive Joints with Tapered Laminates-Effect of Tapering Length and Material Properties," JCM, Vol. 44, pp. 287-302. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021998309345320
- Haghani, R., Alemrani, M. and Kliger, R., 2010, "Effect of Laminate Tapering on Strain Distribution in Adhesive Joints: Experimental Investigation," JCM, Vol. 29, pp. 972-985.
- Da Silva, L. F. M. and Adams, R. D., 2007, "Techniques to Reduce the Peel Stresses in Adhesive Joints with Composites," Int. J. Adhesion & adhesives, Vol. 27, pp. 227-235. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijadhadh.2006.04.001