- Volume 20 Issue 2
Butyltin compounds in seawater, sediments and organisms inside Jeju Harbor of Jeju Island, Korea, were quantitatively determined to assess the extent of contamination and to evaluate the bioaccumulation in Thais clavigera (gastropod), Liolophura japonica and Cellana nigrolineata. In addition, imposex in T. clavigera was used to assess the sublethal effect of tributyltin compounds and its usage as a specific biomarker for these compounds was also studied. The main species in seawater was tributyltin (TBT) in March and June, monobutyltin (MBT) in August, but in sediments and organisms it was dibutyltin (DBT) and TBT, respectively, irrespective of survey time. TBT, the most toxic to aquatic organisms among BTs, was found at concentrations which were sufficient to have a serous effect on the sensitive organisms upon chronic exposure. The high correlations (r>0.7) between BTs indicated that DBT and MBT were mainly degraded from TBT based on antifouling paints and their sources were negligible. The sedimentary organic matters have little influence on the distribution of BTs in marine environment and the lipid content in T. clavigera showed a significant correlation with TBT concentrations. Measurement of imposex T. clavigera was expected to be a very helpful tool for preliminary survey of BTs prior to trace analysis of those.
- Alzieu, C., 1991, Environmental problems caused by TBT in France: assessment, regulations, and prospects, Mar. Environ. Res., 32, 7-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-1136(91)90029-8
- Astruc, M., Lavigne, R., Pinel, R., Leguille, F., Desauziers, V., Quevauviller, P., Donard, O. F. X., 1990, Speciation of tin in sediments of Arcachon Bay (France), In: Patterson, J. W., Passino, R. (eds.), Metal Speciation, Separation, and Recovery, Lewis Publ., Chelsea, 263-274.
- Batley, G., 1996, The distribution and fate of tributyltin in the marine environment. In: Tributyltin: case study of an environmental contaminant, de Mora S.J. (ed.), Cambridge University Press, UK., 139-166.
- Beaumont, A. R., Budd, M. D., 1984, High mortality of the larvae of the common mussel at low concentrations of tributyltin, Mar. Pollut. Bull., 15, 402-405. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-326X(84)90256-X
- Bryan, G. W., Gibbs, P. E., Hummerstone, L. G., Burt, G. R., 1986, The decline of the gastropod Nucella lapillus around South-West England: evidence for the effect of tributyltin from antifouling paints, J. Mar. Biol. Ass. UK., 66, 611-640. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0025315400042247
- Choi, H. G., Kim, P. J., Lee, W. C., 1997, Butyltin compounds concentrations in Masan Bay, J. Korean. Fish. Soc., 30 (6), 923-928.
- de Mora, S. J., King, N. G., Miller, M. C., 1989, Tributyltin and total tin in marine sediments: profiles and the apparent rate of TBT degradation, Environ. Technol. Lett, 10, 901-908. https://doi.org/10.1080/09593338909384811
- Farrington, J. W., 1991, Biogeochemical processes governing exposure and uptake of organic pollutant compounds in aquatic organisms, Environ. Health Perspect, 90, 75-84. https://doi.org/10.2307/3430848
- Gibbs, P. E., Bryan, G. W., 1986, Reproductive failure in populations of the dog-whelk, Nucella lapillus, caused by imposex induced by tributyltin from antifouling paints, J. Mar. Biol. Ass. UK, 66, 767-777. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0025315400048414
- Gibbs, P. E., Pascoe, P. L., Burt, G. R., 1988, Sex change in the female Dog-Whelk, Nucella lapillus, induced by tributyltin from antifouling paint, J. Mar. Biol. Ass. UK, 68, 715-731. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0025315400028824
- Han, G., Cooney, J. J., 1995, Effects of butyltins and inorganic tin on chemotaxis of aquatic bacteria, J. Ind. Microbiol., 14, 293-299. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01569942
- Hong, S. H., 1996, Distributions of organotin compounds and bioaccumulations on marine invertebrates in Okopo Bay, Korea, MS Thesis. Ihwa Women’s University, Seoul, Korea.
- Horiguchi, T., Shiraishi, H., Shimizu, M., Morita, M., 1994, Imposex and organotin compounds in Thais Clavigera and T. Bronni in Japan, J. Mar. Biol. Ass. UK, 74, 651-669. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002531540004772X
- Huggett, R. J., Unger, M. A., Seligman, P. E., Valkirs, O. A., 1992, The marine biocide tributyltin: assessing and managing the environmental risk, Environ. Sci. Technol., 26, 232-237. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00026a001
- Langston, W. J., Burt, G. R., 1991, Bioavailability and effects of sediment-bound TBT in deposit-feeding clam, Scrobicularia plana, Marine Environ. Res., 32, 61-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-1136(91)90034-6
- Lee, S. H., Cho, H. S., Choi, K. S., Lee, K. W., 1997, A study on impacts of oil and hazardous materials pollution on fisheries resources (III), Korea Ocean Research and Development Institute Report BSPE 97609-00-1077-4, Ministry of Science and Technology, Korea, 411.
- Lee, R. F., Valkirs, A. O., Seligman, P. F., 1989, Importance of microalgae in biodegradation of tributyltin in estuarine waters, Environ. Sci. Technol., 23, 1,515-1,518. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00070a010
- Kim, G. Y., 1997, Evaluation on butyltin compounds and its distribution among seawater, sediments and biota from Kwangyang Bay, MS Thesis, Pukyong National University, Busan, Korea.
- Park, M. O., Hahn, Y. H., 1996, Occurrence of butyltin compounds in seawater, sediment and biosamples from the south coast of Korea, Proc. 6th International Offshore and Polar Eng. Conf., Los Angeles, USA. May 26-31, 26-31.
- Seligman, P. F., Valkirs, A. O., Stang, P. M., Lee, R. F., 1988, Evidence for rapid degradation of tributyltin in a marina, Mar. Pollut. Bull., 19 (10), 531-534. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-326X(88)90544-9
- Shim, J. H., Oh, J. R., Kang, S. H., Shim, W. J., Hong, S. H., 1996, Studies on TBT contamination in marine environment of Korea, Seoul National University Report, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Korea, 121.
- Shim, W. J., 1996, Contamination and bioaccumulation of tributyltin and triphenyltin compounds in the Chinhae Bay System, Korea, MS Thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea.
- Stallard, M. O., Cola, S. Y., Dooley, C. A., 1989, Optimization of butyltin measurements for seawater, tissue, marine sediment samples, Appl. Organometal. Chem., 3, 105-114. https://doi.org/10.1002/aoc.590030111
- Stang, P. M., Seligman, P. F., 1987, In situ adsorption and desorption of butyltin compounds from Pearl Harbor, Hawaii sediment, In: Proceedings of the oceans ’86 International Organotin Symposium, 4, 1,386-1,391.
- Tolosa, I., Merlini, L., de Bertrand, N., Bayona, J. M., Albaiges, J., 1992, Occurrence and fate of tributyland triphenyltin compounds in Western Mediterranean coastal enclosures, Environ. Sci. Toxicol. Chem., 11, 145-155. https://doi.org/10.1002/etc.5620110203
- Wong, P. T. S., Chau, Y. K., 1992, Occurrence of butyltin compounds in Severn Sound, Ontario, National Water Research Institute Report 92-119, Department of the Environment, Burlington, Ont. L7R4A6, Canada, 26.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Yaksu Research Foundation