- Volume 20 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study of Kinetics and Adsorption Characteristics for Removal of Arsenate by Using Coal Mine Drainage Sludge in Aqueous Phase
석탄광산배수슬러지를 이용한 액상상태의 비소제거 흡착특성 및 반응속도에 관한 연구
Lee, Se-Ban;Cui, Ming-Can;Jang, Min;Moon, Deok-Hyun;Cho, Yun-Chul;Khim, Jee-Hyeong
- Received : 2010.11.12
- Accepted : 2011.01.05
- Published : 2011.02.28
In this research, equilibrium of adsorption and kinetics of As(V) removal were investigated. The coal mine drainage sludge(CMDS) was used as adsorbent. To find out the physical and chemical properties of CMDS, XRD (X-ray diffraction), XRF (X-ray fluorescence spectrometer) analysis were carried out. The CMDS was consist of 70% of goethite and 30% of calcite. From the results, an adsorption mechanism of As(V) with CMDS was dominated by iron oxides. Langmuir adsorption isotherm model was fitted well more than Freundlich isotherm adsorption model. Adsorption capacities of CMDS 1 was not different with CMDS 2 on aspect of amounts of arsenic adsorbed. The maximum adsorption amount of two CMDS were respectively 40.816, 39.682 mg/g. However, the kinetic of two CMDS was different. The kinetic was followed pseudo second order model than pseudo first order model. Concentrations of arsenic in all segments of the polymer in CMDS 2 does not have a constant value, but the rate was greater than the value of CMDS 1. Therefore, CMDS 2, which is containing polymer, is more effective for adsorbent to remove As(V).
Arsenate;Coal mine drainage sludge;Polymer;Adsorption isotherms;Adsorption kinetics
- Bhattacharya, A. K., Naiya, T. K., Mandal, S. N., Das, S. K., 2008, Adsorption, kinetics and equilibrium studies on removal of Cr(VI) from aqueous solutions using different low-cost adsorbents, Chemical Engineering Journal, 137, 529-541.
- Carmen, M. I., Constantin, C., Florin, R., Ion, U., 2008, Characterization of hybrid inorganic/organic polymer-type materials used for arsenic removal from drinking water, Reactive & Functional Polymer, 68, 1578-1586. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.reactfunctpolym.2008.08.011
- Carmen, M. I., Constantin, C., Florin, R., Ion, U., 2008, Water research, Evaluation of a novel hybrid inorganic/organic polymer type material in the Arsenic removal process from drinking water, 42, 4327-4333. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2008.06.011
- Hameed, B. H., Mahmoud, D. K., Ahmad, A. L., 2008, Sorption of basic dye from aqueous solution by pomelo(citrus grandis) peel in a batch system, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochm. Eng., 316, 78-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2007.08.033
Ibrahim, K., Mehmet, U., Hamdi, K., Celik, A., 2008, Adsorption of Cd(II) ions from aqueous solutions using activated carbon prepared from olive stone by
$ZnCl_2$activation, Bioresource Technology, 99, 492-501. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2007.01.015
- James, V., Bothe, J. R., Paul, W. B., 1999, Arsenic Immobilization by Calcium Arsenate Formation, Environ. Sci. Technol, 33, 3806-3811. https://doi.org/10.1021/es980998m
- Jung, S. H., Lee, J. G., Song, H. S., Kim, N. H., Kwon, J. H., Lee, S. H., 2006, Viscosity index as continuous control of polymer feed in treatment of waterworks sludge, Proceedings of the Korean Society of Water and Wastewater., 113-121.
- Lee, T. H., 2010, http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2010/03/23/2010032300100.html.
- Keisuke, F., Tsutomu, S., Nobuyuki, Y., 2003, Solid-Solution Reactions in As(V) Sorption by Schwertmannite, Environ. Sci. Technol., 37, 3581-3586. https://doi.org/10.1021/es026427i
- Luis, C., Arup, K. S., 2005, Arsenic Removal Using Polymer-Supported Hydrated Iron(III) Oxide Nanoparticles: Role of Donnan Membrane Effect, Environ. Sci. Technol., 39, 6508-6515. https://doi.org/10.1021/es050175e
- Maria, P. A., Jordi, C., Maria, M., Javier, G., 2009., Arsenic removal by goethite and jarosite in acidic conditions and its environmental implications., Journal of Hazardous Material 171., 965-972. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.06.097
- Matthew, J. D., Arup, K. S., John, E. G., 2003, Arsenic removal using a polymeric/inorganic hybrid sorbent, Water Research, 37, 164-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(02)00238-5
- Mingcan, C., Jang, M., Cho, S. H., Khim, J. H., 2010, Kinetic and thermodynamic studies of the adsorption of heavy metals on to a new adsorbent: coal mine drainage sludge, Environmental Technology, 31(11), 1203-1211. https://doi.org/10.1080/09593330903573215
- Oh, C. T., Rhee, S. S., Igarashi, T., Kon, H. J., Lee, W. T., , Park, J. B., 2010, Sorption Characteristics of Arsenic on Furnace Slag by Adsorption Isotherm and Kinetic Sorption Experments, Proceedings of the Korean Geotechnical Society, 26(9), 37-45.
- Sharma, I., Goyal, D., 2010, Adsorption kinetics : Bioremoval of trivalent chromium from tannery efflunet by aspergillus sp. biomass, Research Journal of Environmental Science, 4(1), 1-2. https://doi.org/10.3923/rjes.2010.1.12
Shahwan, T, Erten, H. N, 2002, Thermodynamic parameters of
$Cs^+$sorption natural clays, J. Radio-analytical Nuclear Chem., 253(1), 115-120. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1015824819940
- Sarioglu, M., Atay, U. A, Cebeci, Y, 2005, Removal of copper from aqueous solution by phosphate rock, Desalination 181, 303-311. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2005.04.009
- Vayuusina, O. M., Soldayov, V. S., Sokolova, V. I., Johann, J., Bissen, M., Weissenbacher, A, 2007, A new hybrid (polymer/inorganic) fibrous sorbent for arsenic removal from drinking water, Reactive & Functional Polymers 67, 184-201. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.reactfunctpolym.2006.10.009
- Won, S. H., Lee, Y. C., 2007, Adsorption Behavior of p-Chlorophenol on Nonionic Polymeric Adsorbents: Adsorption Equilibrium Behavior and Evaluation for Adsorbability of Adsorbents, Proceedings of the Korean EHS Assessment, 5(4), 13-23.