- Volume 6 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Determination of Critical Generator Group Using Accelerating Power and Synchronizing Power Coefficient in the Transient Energy Function Method
- Received : 2010.01.18
- Accepted : 2010.12.20
- Published : 2011.03.01
This paper proposes an algorithm for determining critical generator lists using accelerating power and synchronizing power coefficient (SPC), and critical generator group (CGG) from CGG candidates, which is a combination of critical generators. The accurate determination of CGG provides a more accurate energy margin while providing system operator with information of possible unstable generator group. Classical transient energy function (TEF) method selects the critical generators with big corrected kinetic energy of each generator at the moment of fault removal. However, the generator with small acceleration after fault, that is, the generator with small corrected kinetic energy, is also likely to belong to CGG if the generator has small synchronizing power. The proposed algorithm has been verified to be effective compared with the classical TEF method. We utilized the power system of Korean Electric Power Corporation(KEPCO) as a test system.
Transient stability;Critical generators;Transient energy function;Synchronizing power coefficient;Accelerating power;Mode of disturbance
- Y. Zang, L. Wehenkel, M. Pavella, “SIME : A Com-prehensive Approach to Fast Transient Stability Assessment,” Tran of IEE Japan, Vol. 118-B, No. 2, pp. 127-132, 1998
- Y. Zang,L. Wehenkel, P. Rousseaux, M. Pavella, "SIME : A Hybrid Approach to Fast Transient Stability Assessment and Contingency Selection," Electric Power & Energy System. Vol.19, No.3, pp.195-208. 1996.
- Edward Wilson Kimbark, Power System Stability, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1947
- A. A. Fouad, Vijay Vittal, Power System Transient analysis Using the Transient Energy Function Method, Prentice Hall 1992
- A. L. Bettiol, Y. Zhang, L. Wehenkel, M. Pavella, “Transient stability investigations on a Brazilian network by SIME,” Advances in Power System Control, Operation and Management, 1997. APSCOM-97. Fourth international conference on (Conf. Publ. No. 450) Volume 1, 11-14 pp. L1 - L6, Nov. 1997
- A. A. Fouad , Vijay Vittal "Power System Transient Stability Using Individual Machine Energy Function," IEEE Tran on Circuit and Systems, vol. CAS- 30, NO. 5, May 1983 https://doi.org/10.1109/TCS.1983.1085360
- P. M. Anderson, A. A. Fouad, Power System Control and Stability," John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- B. Lee, S.H. Kwon, J. Lee, H.K. Nam, J.B. Choo, D. H. Jeon, “Fast Contingency Screening for On-line Transient Stability Monitoring and Assessment of the KEPCO System,” Generation, Transmission and Distribution, IEE Proceedings-Volume 150, Issue 4, pp. 399-404, 14 July 2003. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-gtd:20030501
- Ribbens-Pavella, P. G. Murthy, and J. L. Horward, “The Acceleration Approach to Practical Stability Domain Estimation in Power Systems”, In Proceedings 20th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, pp. 471-477, 1981.