- Volume 6 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Optimal Algorithms for Voltage Management in Distribution Systems Interconnected with New Dispersed Sources
- Rho, Dae-Seok ;
- Kook, Kyung-Soo ;
- Wang, Yong-Peel
- Received : 2010.10.28
- Accepted : 2010.11.24
- Published : 2011.03.01
The optimal evaluation algorithms for voltage regulation in the case where new dispersed sources are operated in distribution systems are studied. Handling the interconnection issues for proper voltage managements are often difficult and complicated because professional skills and enormous amounts of data during evaluations are needed. Typical evaluation algorithms mainly depend on human ability and quality of data acquired, which inevitably cause the different results for the same issue. Thus, unfair and subjective evaluations are unavoidable. In order to overcome these problems, we propose reasonable and general algorithms based on the standard model system and proper criterion, which offers fair and objective evaluation in any case. The proposed algorithms are divided into two main themes. One is an optimal algorithm for the voltage control of multiple voltage regulators in order to deliver suitable voltage to as many customers as possible, and the other is a proper evaluation algorithm for the voltage management at normal and emergency conditions. Results from a case study show that proposed methods can be a practical tool for the voltage management in distribution systems including dispersed sources.
Voltage management;New dispersed sources(NDS);Interconnection;Voltage regulator
- NREL, “Distributed Power Program DER Pilot Test at the Nevada Test Site”, NREL/TP 560-32063, 2002.5
- EPRI, “Electricity Technology Roadmap, Meeting the Critical Challenge of the 21st Century”, Product No. 10100929, 2003
- R. Grunbaum, “SVC Light: A Powerful Means for Dynamic Voltage and Power Quality Control in Industry and Distribution”, Power Electronics and Variable Speed Drives, pp. 404-409, 18-19 September 2000, Eighth International Conference Publication No.475 @ IEE 2000.
- V. Karasik, K. Dixon, C. Weber, B. Batchelder, G. Campbell, and Ribeiro, “SMES for Power Utility Applications: A Review of Technical and Cost Considerations,” IEEE Trans. Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 9, No. 2, June 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/77.783354
- Lin C. E., Shiao Y. S., Huang C. L. and Sung P. S, “Design Consideration and Economical Evaluation for Battery Energy Storage System”, 92 IEEE PES Summer Meeting, SM 431-7 PWRS, Seattle Washington, July 1992.
- H. Kirkham & R. Das, “Effects of Voltage Control in Utility Interactive Dispersed Storage and Generation Systems”, IEEE Trans. Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. PAS-103, No.8, 1984 https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAS.1984.318543
- Vasilije P. Lulcic, “Optimal Operation Policy for Energy Storage”, IEEE Trans. PAS-101, No. 9 (1982)
- James J. Burke, “Power Distribution Engineering”, Marcel Dekker, Inc. pp. 320-348 (1994).
- H. Lee Willis, “Power Distribution Planning Reference Book”, Marcel Dekker, Inc. pp. 185-228 (1997).
- D. Rho, H. Kita, K. Nishiya & J. Hasegawa, “Voltage Regulation Methods Based on an Extended Approach and Neural Networks for Distribution System with DSG systems”, Trans IEEJ, Vol. 117B, No. 3, 1997.
- Optimal Voltage Regulation Methods in Distribution Systems Interconnected with DSG Systems, IEEJP & Society, No.345 (1995).
- D. Rho, H. Kita, K. Nishiya & J. Hasegawa, “A Study on the Optimal Voltage Regulation Methods at the Power Distribution Systems Interconnected with DSG Systems”, EMPD'95, IEEE Catalogue No. 95TH8130, S26.2 (1995).
- D. Rho, E.S. Kim, J.E. Kim and J. Hasegawa, “Basic Studies on the Impacts of Customer Voltages by the Operation of the Flexible Reliable and Intelligent Energy Delivery Systems”, Trans. Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference, October 27-30, 1997, Orlando, Florida.
- D. Rho, M. Kim, “A study on the Optimal Operation of Line Voltage Regulator (SVR) in Distribution Feeders”, 2004 IFAC Symposium, Seoul, South Korea, 2004. 9.
- M. Kim, D. Rho, J. Kim, K. Kim, “Optimal Operation Method of Multiple Voltage Regulators in Distribution Systems Interconnected with Dispersed Storage and Generation Systems”, Trans. KIEE. Vol. 54A. No. 2, 2005. 2.
- Voltage Regulation Method for Voltage Drop Compensation and Unbalance Reduction in Bipolar Low-Voltage DC Distribution System vol.33, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2017.2694836
- A Study on Development of Optimization Algorithms for Electric Power System in Fire Protection vol.14, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2014.14.3.235
- Classifier System and Co-evolutionary Hybrid Approach to Restoration Service of Electric Power Distribution Networks vol.7, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2012.7.3.288
- Optimal Voltage Regulation Method for Distribution Systems with Distributed Generation Systems Using the Artificial Neural Networks vol.8, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.4.712
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)