- Volume 39 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Leader - Follower based Formation Guidance Law and Autonomous Formation Flight Test of Multiple MAVs
편대 유도 법칙 및 초소형 비행체의 자동 편대 비행 구현
- Received : 2010.10.14
- Accepted : 2011.01.05
- Published : 2011.02.01
This paper presents an autonomous formation flight algorithm for micro aerial vehicles (MAVs) and its flight test results. Since MAVs have severe limits on the payload and flight time, formation of MAVs can help alleviate the mission load of each MAV by sharing the tasks or coverage areas. The proposed formation guidance law is designed using nonlinear dynamic inversion method based on 'Leader-Follower' formation geometric relationship. The sensing of other vehicles in a formation is achieved by sharing the vehicles' states using a high-speed radio data link. the designed formation law was simulated with flight data of MAV to verify its robustness against sensor noises. A series of test flights were performed to validate the proposed formation guidance law. The test result shows that the proposed formation flight algorithm with inter-communication is feasible and yields satisfactory results.
Supported by : KAIST
- Weimerskirch, H., Martin, J., Clerquin, Y., Alexandre, P., and Jiraskova, S., "Energy savings in flight formation", Nature, Vol. 143, 2001.
- Gingrass, R. D., "Experimental Investigation of a Multi-Aircraft Formation", AIAA Paper 99-3143, 1999.
- Lavretsky, E., "F/A-18 Autonomous Formation Flight Control System Design", AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference, AIAA paper 2002-4757, 2002.
- Gu, Y., Seansor, B. Campa, G., and Napolitano, M. R., "Design and Flight Testing Evaluation of Formation Control Law", IEEE Transactions on Control System Technology, Vol. 14, No. 6, Nov. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCST.2006.880203
- Johnson, E. N., Calise, A. J., Sattigeri, R., and Watanabe, Y., "Approaches to Vision-Based Formation Flight Control", Proceeding of IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Dec. 2004.
- Ryoo, C. K., Kim, Y. H., and Tahk, M. J., "Optimal UAV formation guidance laws with timing constraint", International Journal of Systems Science, Vol. 37, 2006.
- Khaili, H. K., Nonlinear System, Prentice hall inc. New Jersey, 3rd edition, 2002.
- You, D. I. and Shim, H. C., "Development of Autonomous Micro Aerial Vehicle Systems", 2009 APISAT, Japan, Nov. 2009.
- Monocular Vision-Based Guidance and Control for a Formation Flight vol.16, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2015.16.4.581
- Development of Embedded Program for UAV Flight Control System using RTOS and Model-Based Auto Code Generation vol.39, pp.10, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2011.39.10.979
- An Image Processing Algorithm for Detection and Tracking of Aerial Vehicles in Short-Range vol.39, pp.12, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2011.39.12.1115
- An Implementation of Formation Flight Control System Using Two Drones vol.11, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14372/IEMEK.2016.11.6.343