- Volume 35 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Study on Feasibility of Applying Function Approximation Moment Method to Achieve Reliability-Based Design Optimization
함수근사모멘트방법의 신뢰도 기반 최적설계에 적용 타당성에 대한 연구
- Huh, Jae-Sung (Rotorcraft Program Office, KARI) ;
- Kwak, Byung-Man (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, KAIST)
- Received : 2010.08.30
- Accepted : 2010.11.19
- Published : 2011.02.01
Robust optimization or reliability-based design optimization are some of the methodologies that are employed to take into account the uncertainties of a system at the design stage. For applying such methodologies to solve industrial problems, accurate and efficient methods for estimating statistical moments and failure probability are required, and further, the results of sensitivity analysis, which is needed for searching direction during the optimization process, should also be accurate. The aim of this study is to employ the function approximation moment method into the sensitivity analysis formulation, which is expressed as an integral form, to verify the accuracy of the sensitivity results, and to solve a typical problem of reliability-based design optimization. These results are compared with those of other moment methods, and the feasibility of the function approximation moment method is verified. The sensitivity analysis formula with integral form is the efficient formulation for evaluating sensitivity because any additional function calculation is not needed provided the failure probability or statistical moments are calculated.
Function Approximation Moment Method;Sensitivity Analysis;Reliability-Based Design Optimization;Statistical Moments;Probability Constraints
- D’Errico, J. R. and Zaino Jr., N. A., 1988, “Statistical Tolerancing Using a Modification of Taguchi’s Method,” Technometrics, Vol. 30, No. 4, pp.397-405. https://doi.org/10.2307/1269802
- Zhao, Y.G. and Ono, T., 2001, “Moment Methods for Structural Reliability,” Structural Safety, Vol.23, pp.47-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-4730(00)00027-8
- Seo, H. K. and Kwak, B. M., 2002, “Efficient Statistical Tolerance Analysis for General Distribution Using Three Point Information,” International Journal for Production Research, pp.931-944.
- Lee, S. H. and Kwak, B. M., 2006, “Response Surface Augmented Moment Method for Efficient Reliability Analysis,” Structural Safety, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp.261-272. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.strusafe.2005.08.003
- Choi, H. S., 2005, “Moment Based Reliability Analysis for General Distributions Using Multi-Level DOE,”Master thesis, KAIST.
- Huh, J. S., Kim, K. H., Kang, D. W., Gweon, D. G. and Kwak, B. M., 2006, “Performance Evaluation of Precision Nanopositioning Devices Caused by Uncertainties due to Tolerances Using Function Approximation Moment Method,” Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol. 77, No. 1, pp.015103-015111. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2162750
- Huh, J. S. and Kwak, B. M., 2007, “Numerical Verification of the First Four Statistical Moments Estimated by a Function Approximation Moment Method,” Trans. of the KSME(A), Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 490-495. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2007.31.4.490
- Kim, D. H., Lee, G. S., Choi, D. H., Choi, J. H., Lee, S. H. and Kwak, B. M., 2008, “Reliability Analysis Using an Enhanced Response Surface Moment Method,” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 22, No. 6, pp.1052-1057. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-008-0210-6
- Huh, J. S. and Kwak, B. M., 2008, “The Efficient Sensitivity Analysis on Statistical Moments and Probability Constraints in Robust Optimal Design,” Trans. of the KSME( A), Vol. 32, No. 1, pp.29-34. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2008.32.1.029
- Montgomery, D. C., 1997, Design and Analysis of Experiments, John Wiley & Sons.
- Thoft-Christensen, P., and Baker, M, 1982, Structural Reliability Theory and Its Applications, Springer-Verlag.
- Kang, H. Y., Lee, Y. H., Huh, J. S. and Kwak, B. M., 2006, “Comparative Study of RBDO Algorithms Based on Form and FAMM,” III European Conference on Computational Mechanics.
- Tu, J., Choi, K. K. and Park, Y. H., 2001, “Design Potential Method for Robust System Parameter Design,” AIAA Journal, Vol. 39, No. 4, pp. 667-677. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.1360