- Volume 35 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Design Optimization of a Heat Sink for Mobile Telecommunication Module Satisfying Temperature Limits
온도 제한조건을 고려한 이동통신 모듈의 히트싱크 최적설계
- Jeong, Seung-Hyun (Graduate School of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Jeong, Hyun-Su (Dept. of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Lee, Yong-Bin (Graduate School of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Choi, Dong-Hoon (The Center of Innovation Design Optimization Technology (iDOT), Hanyang Univ.)
- Received : 2010.07.20
- Accepted : 2010.12.10
- Published : 2011.02.01
As the number of mobile subscribers has increased recently, the demand for more number of base stations has increased. However, because of the shortage of sites for constructing base stations, a mobile communication module needs to be small in size. To minimize the size of the module, the size of the heat sink attached to the outside of the module should be minimized. Furthermore, the temperature of each electronic component of the module should be lower than the allowable temperature so that thermal stability can be maintained. A commercial PIDO (process integration and design optimization) tool PIAnO and a commercial CFD (computational fluid dynamics) tool FLOTHERM are used to minimize the size of the module while the constraints on the temperatures of the twelve electronic components are satisfied. As a result of design optimization, the volume of the heat sink is reduced by 41.9% while all the constraints on the temperature of the twelve electronic components of the module are satisfied.
Design Optimization;Heat Sink;Design of Experiments;Mobile Telecommunication
- Culham, J. R. and Muzychka, Y. S., 2001, "Optimization of Fin Heat Sinks Using Entropy Generation Minimization," IEEE Transactions on Components and Packaging Technologies, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp.159-165. https://doi.org/10.1109/6144.926378
- Chiang, K. T., Chang, F. P. and Tsai, T. C., 2006, "Optimum Design Parameters of Pin-Fin Heat Sink Using the Grey-Fuzzy Logic Based on the Orthogonal Arrays," International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 33, pp. 744-752. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2006.02.011
- Park, K. and Choi, D. H., 2004, "Shape Optimization of a Plate-Fin Type Heat Sink with Triangular-Shaped Vortex Generator," KSME International Journal, Vol. 18, No. 9, pp. 1590-1603.
- Park, K., Oh, P. K. and Lim, H. J., 2006, "The Application of the CFD and Kriging Method to an Optimization of Heat Sink," International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 48, pp. 3439-3447.
- Wang, G. G. and Shan, S., 2007, "Review of Metamodeling Techniques in Support of Engineering Design Optimization," Journal of Mechnical Design, Vol. 129, No. 4, pp. 370-380. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2429697
- FLOTHERM Reference Manual, 2003, Flomerics Ltd.
- PIAnO (Process Integration, Automation and Optimization) User’s Manual. Version 2.4, 2008, FRAMAX Inc.
- Simpson, T. W. and Lin, D. K. J., 2001, "Sampling Strategies for Computer Experiments: Design and Analysis," International Journal of Reliability and Safety, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 209-240.
- Myers, R. H. and Montgomery, 2002, D. C., Response Surface Methodology: Process and Product Optimization Using Designed Experiments, WILEY, New York, pp. 30-31.
- Kim, J. R. and Choi, D. H., 2008, "Enhanced Two-point Diagonal Quadratic Approximation Methods for Design Optimization," Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics, Vol. 197, pp. 846-856. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2007.09.014