- Volume 35 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Weight Reducing of Aluminum Extrusion Profiles of a Railway-Car Body Based on Topology and Size Optimization
알루미늄 압출재로 이루어진 철도차량 차체의 경량화를 위한 최적설계 방안 연구
- Han, Soon-Woo (Railway Structure Research Div., Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Jung, Hyun-Seung (Railway Structure Research Div., Korea Railroad Research Institute)
- Received : 2010.11.10
- Accepted : 2010.12.17
- Published : 2011.02.01
In this study, we discussed the weight reducing of a urban railway-car body, in particular, of the Korean EMU, by optimizing topology and size of aluminum extrusion profiles. The heaviest parts of aluminum railway-car bodies, i.e., the base plate of underframe and side panels of side frame composed of double skin structures are considered for optimization. Topology optimization process is applied to obtain get an optimized rib structure for the base plate. The thickness of ribs and plates of the topologically optimized base plate and the existing side panel are also optimized by employing the size optimization process. The results are verified by comparing the maximum von Mises stresses and maximum deformation in the case of the existing design with those in the case of the optimized design. It is shown that the weight of a base plate and side panel can be reduced by 12% and that the weight of the whole car body can be reduced by 8.5%.
Aluminum Railway Carbody;Weight Reducing;Topology Optimization;Size Optimization
- Yasushi, S., 2006, “Current State and the Future of Aluminum Alloy Applications for Rolling Stock,” Journal of Japan Institute of Light Metals, Vol. 55, No. 11, pp. 584-587.
- Korea Railroad Research Institute, 1998, “Report on the Design of Aluminum Carbody of the K- EMU,” Report of Ministry of Land, Transportation and Maritime Affairs.
- Suh, S. I. and Son, G. H., 1998, “A Study on the Optimum Design and Structural Behaviors of Aluminum Extrusions,” Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, Vol. 35, No. 1, pp. 88-97.
- Jang, C. D., Ha, Y. S., Jo, Y. C. and Shin, K. B., 2003, “An Optimum Design for Truss Core Unit of Railway Carbody of Aluminum Extrusion Plate,” Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 194-202.
- Kwun, T. S., 2002, “A Study on Topology Optimization Technique pplied to Extrusion Shape Determination of Aluminium Vehicle Structures,” Proc. of 2002 Korean Society of Railway Spring Conference, pp. 378-385.
- Yoo, J. H., 2004, “A Study on the Topology Optimization in Magnetic Fields,” Trans. of the KSME A, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 370-377. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2004.28.4.370
- Yoon, M. S., Jang, G. W. and Park, J. H., 2008, “A Study on the Extremely Light Trailer Frame using Topology Optimization Technique,” Proc. of 2008 KSME Fall Conference, pp. 410-411.
- Park, Y. O. and Min, S. J., 2009, “Structural Topology Design using Compliance Pattern based Genetic Algorithm,” Proc. of 2009 KSME CAE and Applied Mechanics Division, pp. 288-294.
- Park, S. O., Yoo, J. H. and Min, S. J., 2010, “Topology Optimization of Perpendicular Magnetic Recording System by Considering Magnetic Nonlinearity,” Trans. of the KSME A, Vol. 34, No. 7, pp. 821-827. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2010.34.7.821
- Lee, T. H., Lee, J. M., Jung, J. J., Hwang, W. J. and Kim, H. J., 2006, “Design Optimization of Double-deck Train Carbody under Multi-loading Condition,” Trans. of the KSME A, Vol. 30, No. 11, pp. 1472-1478. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2006.30.11.1472
- Choi, Y. G., Shin, K. B. and Kim, W. H., 2010, “A Study on Size Optimization for Rocket Motor with a Torispherical Dome,” Trans. of the KSME A, Vol. 34, No. 5, pp. 567-573. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2010.34.5.567
- Yoon, S. C., Kim, W. K., Hong, Y. K. and Pyun., J. S., 2003, “Structure Analysis and Loading Test of Body Structure having Aluminum,” Proc. of 2003 Korean Society of Railway Fall Conference, pp. 59-64.
- Study on Weight Reduction of Urban Transit Carbody Based on Material Changes and Structural Optimization vol.37, pp.9, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2013.37.9.1099
- A study on lightweight design for wind turbine rotor shaft vol.38, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2014.38.4.389
- A material selection method for a hybrid box-type bodyshell with cut-outs using an equivalent bodyshell model without cut-outs vol.48, pp.14, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1177/0021998313490583
- A lightweight design approach for an EMU carbody using a material selection method and size optimization vol.30, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-016-0123-8
- A Study on the Weight-Reduction Design of High-Speed Maglev Carbody made of Aluminum Extrusion and Sandwich Composite Roof vol.38, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2014.38.10.1093
- Topology Optimization of Seat Cushion Frame With Dissimilar Materials for Lightweight Strength Optimization vol.9, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4018/IJMMME.2019010101