- Volume 10 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Single-Machine Total Completion Time Scheduling with Position-Based Deterioration and Multiple Rate-Modifying Activities
- Kim, Byung-Soo (Department of Systems Management and Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- Joo, Cheol-Min (Department of Systems and Management Engineering, Dongseo University)
- Received : 2011.03.23
- Accepted : 2011.09.07
- Published : 2011.12.01
In this paper, we study a single-machine scheduling problem with deteriorating processing time of jobs and multiple rate-modifying activities which reset deteriorated processing time to the original processing time. In this situation, the objective function is to minimize total completion time. First, we formulate an integer programming model. Since the model is difficult to solve as the size of real problem being very large, we design an improved genetic algorithm called adaptive genetic algorithm (AGA) with spontaneously adjusting crossover and mutation rate depending upon the status of current population. Finally, we conduct some computational experiments to evaluate the performance of AGA with the conventional GAs with various combinations of crossover and mutation rates.
Single-Machine Scheduling;Rate-Modifying Activity;Deterioration;Adaptive Genetic Algorithm
- Bachman, A., Janiak, A., and Kovalyov, M. Y. (2002), Minimizing the total weighted completion time of deteriorating jobs, Information Processing Letters, 81(2), 81-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-0190(01)00196-X
- Browne, S. and Yechiali, U. (1990), Scheduling deteriorating jobs on a single processor, Operations Research, 38, 495-498. https://doi.org/10.1287/opre.38.3.495
- Cheng, T. C. E. and Ding, Q. (2000), Single machine scheduling with deadlines and increasing rates of processing times, Acta Informatica, 36, 673-692. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002360050170
- Gen, M. and Cheng, R. (1997), Genetic Algorithms and Engineering Design, Wiley, New York.
- Goldberg, D. E. (1989), Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning. Addison-Wes ley, New York.
- Graves, G. H. and Lee, C. Y. (1999), Scheduling maintenance and semiresumable jobs on a single machine, Naval Research Logistics, 46, 845-863. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1520-6750(199910)46:7<845::AID-NAV6>3.0.CO;2-#
- Gupta, J. N. D. and Gupta, S. K. (1988), Single facility scheduling with nonlinear processing times, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 14, 387-393. https://doi.org/10.1016/0360-8352(88)90041-1
- Kovalyov, Y. M. and Kubiak, W. (1998), A fully polynomial approximation scheme for minimizing makespan of deteriorating jobs, Journal of Heuristics, 3, 287-297. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1009626427432
- Kubiak, W. and Velde, S. (1998), Scheduling deteriorating jobs to minimize makespan, Naval Research Logistics, 45, 511-523. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1520-6750(199808)45:5<511::AID-NAV5>3.0.CO;2-6
- Kunnathur, A. S. and Gupta, S. K. (1990), Minimizing the makespan with late start penalties added to processing times in a single facility scheduling problem, European Journal of Operational Research, 47, 56-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(90)90089-T
- Lee, C. Y. and Chen, Z. L. (2000), Scheduling of jobs and maintenance activities on parallel machines, Naval Research Logistics, 47, 61-67.
- Lee, C. Y. and Leon, V. J. (2001), Machine scheduling with a rate-modifying activity, European Journal of Operational Research, 128, 119-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-2217(99)00066-1
- Lee, C. Y. and Lin, C. S. (2001), Single-machine scheduling with maintenance and repair rate-modifying activities, European Journal of Operational Research, 135, 493-513. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-2217(00)00322-2
- Mosheiov, G. (1991), V-Shaped polices to scheduling deteriorating jobs, Operation Research, 39, 979-991. https://doi.org/10.1287/opre.39.6.979
- Qi, X., Chen, T., and Tu, F. (1999), Scheduling the maintenance on a single machine, Journal of the Operational Research Society, 50, 1071-1078. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jors.2600791
- Sortrakul, N., Nachtmann, C. R., and Cassady, C. R. (2005), Genetic algorithms for integrated preventive maintenance planning and production scheduling for a single machine, Computers In Industry, 56, 161-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compind.2004.06.005
- Wang, J. L., Sun, L., and Sun, L. (2011), Single-machine total completion time scheduling with a timedependent deterioration, Applied Mathematical Modelling, 35, 1506-1511. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apm.2010.09.028
- Wang, C. S. and Uzsoy, R. (2002), A genetic algorithm to minimize maximum lateness on a batch processing machine, Computers and Operations Research, 29, 1621-1640. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0305-0548(01)00031-4
- A Study on Single Machine Scheduling with a Rate-Modifying Activity and Time-Dependent Deterioration After the Activity vol.30, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7737/KMSR.2013.30.1.015
- An Improved Genetic Algorithm for Single-Machine Inverse Scheduling Problem vol.2014, pp.1563-5147, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/370560
- Machine scheduling of time-dependent deteriorating jobs with determining the optimal number of rate modifying activities and the position of the activities vol.9, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1299/jamdsm.2015jamdsm0007