- Volume 10 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Expressions for Expectations and Variances of Cycle Times for Yard Cranes by Considering Dependencies among Time Elements
- Lee, Byung-Kwon (Department of Industrial Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Kap-Hwan (Department of Industrial Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Yun, Won-Young (Department of Industrial Engineering, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2011.03.26
- Accepted : 2011.09.21
- Published : 2011.12.01
During the design process of a terminal, the handling capacity of a container yard needs to be evaluated in advance. This study suggests formulas for estimating the expectations and the variances of cycle times for various types of operations of a yard crane. Statistical analysis is used to estimate the expectations and variances. The main focus of this study is to show the impact of interdependencies among handling time elements on the expectation and variance of the cycle times; these interdependencies have not been considered in previous studies. Numerical experiments are done for evaluating the difference in the variance of cycle times and the waiting of trucks between the cases with and without the consideration of interdependencies.
Container Terminal;Cycle Time;Yard Crane;Statistical Analysis
- Bozer, Y. A. and White, J. A. (1984), Travel time models for automated storage/retrieval systems, IIE Transactions, 16(4), 329-338. https://doi.org/10.1080/07408178408975252
- Bozer, Y. A. and White, J. A. (1990), Design and performance models for end-of-aisle order picking systems, Management Science, 36(7), 852-866. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.36.7.852
- Chen, T. (1999), Yard operations in the container terminal- a study in the 'unproductive moves', Maritime Policies and Management, 26(1), 27-38. https://doi.org/10.1080/030888399287041
- de Castilho, B. and Daganzo, C. F. (1993), Handling strategies for import containers at marine terminals, Transportation Research, 27B(2), 151-166.
- Gross, D. and Harris, C. M. (1998), Fundamentals of Queueing Theory 3rd ed., Wiley-Interscience, New York.
- Hu, Y. H., Huang, S. Y., Chen, C., Hsu, W. J., Toh, A. C., Loh, C. K., and Song, T. (2005), Travel time analysis of a new automated storage and retrieval system, Computers and Operations Research, 32 (6), 1515-1544. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cor.2003.11.020
- Hwang, H. and Lee, S. B. (1990), Travel-time models considering the operating characteristics of the storage/retrieval system, International Journal of Production Research, 28(10), 1779-1789. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207549008942833
- Kim, K. H. (1997), Evaluation of the number of rehandles in container yards, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 32 (4), 701-711. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-8352(97)00024-7
- Kim, K. Y. (2006), Evaluation models for the container handling times of the automated transfer crane in container terminal, IE Interfaces, 19(3), 214-224.
- Le-Duc, T. (2005), Design and control of efficient order picking processes, Ph.D. Dissertation, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands.
- Lee, B. K. and Kim, K. H. (2010a), Comparison and Evaluation of Various Cycle-Time Models for Yard Cranes in Container Terminals, International Journal of Production Economics, 126(2), 350-360. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2010.04.015
- Lee, B. K. and Kim, K. H. (2010b), Optimizing the block size in container yards, Transportation Research, 46E(1), 120-135.
- Vidovic, M. and Kim, K. H. (2006), Estimating the cycle time of three-stage material handling systems, Annals of Operations Research, 144(1), 181-200. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10479-006-0020-0
- Optimal stack layout in a sea container terminal with automated lifting vehicles vol.55, pp.13, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2016.1273561