- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Interaction between Personality and Job Stress on Job Satisfaction: The Comparison between Accidents-laden and Accidents-free Train Drivers
성격과 직무스트레스의 상호작용이 직무만족에 미치는 영향: 사고경험 기관사와 무사고 기관사의 비교
- Received : 2011.07.27
- Accepted : 2011.09.06
- Published : 2011.10.26
The purpose of this article is to find out and analyze the diverse factors that are incurring stress to the railway drivers, and to depict the moderating effects of personality factors(Locus of Control, Self-Efficacy, and Organization-Based Self Esteem) on the causal relationship between job stressors and job satisfaction in two groups(drivers who experienced accidents and drivers who did not). To attain this purpose, the 212 questionnaires received from the drivers of KORAIL, Seoul Metro, and Seoul Metropolitan Rapid Transit. Most crucial finding was that certain aspects of a driver's personalities measured by locus of control, self-efficacy, and organization-based self esteem showed significant moderating effects in predicting the level of job satisfaction, job stress and accidents. This result implies that the drastic testing of personality factors is so important when staffing drivers in the future.
- W.Y. Lee (2006) The Interacting Effects of Cognitive Failure, Consciousness and Job Stress on Safety Behavior and Accidents, Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 19(3), pp. 475-497.
- C.W. Chung (2000) The Role of Personality in Predicting Safety Performance: The Case of Railroad Officials Accident Involvement, Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 13(10), pp. 41-60.
- K.H. Han (2003) The moderating effects of efficacy on the relationship between job characteristics and job stress outcomes, The Korean Journal of Human Resource Management, 27(1), pp. 33-57.
- C.S. Kim, J.Y. An (2007) An Empirical Study on the Relationship between the Railway Employee's Personality Types and Work Satisfaction, Journal of The Korean Society for Railway, 10(2), pp. 161-166.
- D. Hellriegel, Slocum, Jr., W. John (2004) Organizational Behavior, Thomson, pp. 168-186.
- S.P. Robbins, M. Coulter (2005) Management, Prentice-Hall, pp. 323-324.
- A. Abdel-Halim (1981) Effects of Role Stress-Job Design-Technology Interaction on Employee Work Satisfaction, Academy of Management Journal, 2, pp. 260-273.
- H. Arnold, D. Feldman (1982) A Multivariate Analysis of the Determinants of Job Turnover, Journal of Applied Psychology, June, pp. 350-360.
- W.H. Ock, S.Y. Kim (2001) A Study on Job Stress and Job Satisfaction, and Organizational Commitment of Local Public Service, Korean Journal of Public Administration, 35(4), pp. 355-373.
- K.G. Park (2008) A Study on the Determinants of Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment in Local Governments: Focused on Civil Servant's Recognition on the Job Stressors, The Korea Local Administration Review, 22(2), pp. 171-202.
- J.B. Rotter (1966) Generalized Expectancies for Internal versus External Control of Reinforcement, Psychological Monographs, 80(1).
- J.E. Oliver (1983) Job Satisfaction and Locus of Control in Two Job Types, Psychological Reports, 52, pp. 425-426. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19188.8.131.525
- A. Bandura (1982) Self-efficacy mechanisms in human agency, American psychologist, 37, pp. 122-137. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.37.2.122
- J.L. Pierce, D.G. Gardner, L.L. Cummings, R.B. Dunham (1989) Organization-based self-esteem: Construct definition, measurement, and validation. Academy of Management Journal, 32, pp. 622-648. https://doi.org/10.2307/256437
- B.G. Kim, J.W. Kim, S.E. Chi, J.H. Lim, et al. (2000) The Study on the Relationship between Self Esteem and Perceiving Hwabyung, Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry, 11(2), pp. 141-148.
- T.H. Shin (1988) A Study on the Effects of Organizational Climates and Individual Characteristics on 'Interpersonal Conflict' and 'Intergroup Conflict', Doctoral Dissertation, Yonsei University.
- J.W. Jones, L.J. Wuebker (1985) Development and Validation of the Safety Locus of Control(SLC) Scale, Perceptual and Motor Skills, 61, pp. 151-161. https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.19184.108.40.206
- R.E. Mayer, J.R. Treat (1977) Psychological, Social, and Cognitive Characteristics of High Risk Drivers: A Pilot Study, Accident Analysis and Prevention, 9, pp. 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-4575(77)90002-1
- R. Clement, B.A. Jonah (1984) Field Dependency, Sensation, Seeking, and Driving Behavior, Personality and Individual Differences, 5, pp. 87-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/0191-8869(84)90141-7
- P. Sherry (1991) Person-Environment Fit and Accident Prediction, Journal of Business and Psychology, 5(3), pp. 411-416. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01017711
- J.T. Reason (1997) Managing the Risks of Organizational Accidents, ASHGATE.
- G.R.J. Hockey, A.J. Maule, P.J. Clough, L. Bdzola (2000) Effects of negative mood states on risk in everyday decision making, Cognition and Emotion, 14, pp. 823-855. https://doi.org/10.1080/02699930050156654
- M. Shigemori, K. Kioka, H. Akatsuka, Y. Miyachi (2006) Tasks for Estimating Potential of Occurrence of Human Error, RTRI Report, 20(3), pp. 11-16.
- T. Inoue, H. Suzuki, K. Kioka, H. Akatsuka, et al. (2008) New Psychological Tests for Train Operation Staff, RTRI Report, 22(7), pp. 5-10.
- D.E. Broadbent, M.H.P. Broadbent, J.L. Jones (1986) Performance Correlates of Self-Reported Cognitive Failure and of Obsessionality, British Journal of Clinical Psychology, 25, pp.285-299. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8260.1986.tb00708.x
- L.R. Hartley, J.E. Hassani (1994) Stress, Violation, and Accidents, Applied Ergonomics, 25, pp. 221-230. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-6870(94)90003-5
- S.Y. Nam, S.K. Nam, M.A. Nam (2006) Effects of Self-Efficacy and Facet Job Satisfaction among the Workers of Residential Facilities, Korean Journal of Social Welfare, 58(3), pp. 195-221.
- K.D. Chung (2009) The Influence of Individual Differences on Stress, Journal of The Korean Association for Organizational Studies, 6(1), pp. 163-194.
- J.J. Whang (2008) Handbook of Railway Safety Related Law, Nohae Publishing Company, pp. 406-407.
- K. Namgung (2010) Research Methods for Public Administration, Bobmunsa Publisher, Gyong-gi Do, Korea.
- A Study on the New Aptitude Test Items for the Safety Critical Workers: Focused on Stress Tolerance under Emergency and Solitary Driving Situation vol.5, pp.1, 2012, https://doi.org/10.7782/IJR.2012.5.1.048
- A Study on the Cause of Job Stress of Urban Railroad Drivers: Focused on Railroad Companies of Daejeon, Daegu, Incheon and Seoul Metro 9 vol.16, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2013.16.4.340