- Volume 24 Issue 1
When using X-12-ARIMA for seasonal adjustment, we usually check whether the series has stable seasonality or not via D8 F-tests, Kruskal-Wallis test, and the spectral diagnostics. In this paper, we develop several smooth tests for seasonality based on a Fourier series to improve the spectral diagnostics of X-12-ARIMA. A simulation study is conducted to compare five smooth tests for seasonality and X-12-ARIMA's D8 F-test an Kruskal-Wallis test. The simulation study shows that smooth tests for seasonality performed well compared with D8 F-tests and a Kruskal-Wallis test.
Seasonal adjustment;smooth test;spectrum;X-12-ARIMA
- 이긍희 (1998). 한국경제시계열의 계절조정방법(X-12-ARIMA법을 중심으로), <경제분석>, 4, 205-242.
- 이긍희 (2000). 한국형 계절변동조정 프로그램 BOK-X-12-ARIMA, <응용통계연구>, 13, 225-236.
- Hart, J. D. (1997). Nonparametric Smoothing and its Applications in Lack-of-fit Testing, Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Kuchibhatla, M. and Hart, J. D. (1996). Smoothing-based lack-of-fit tests: Variation on a theme, Journal of Nonparametric Statistics, 7, 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1080/10485259608832685
- Ledwina, T. (1994). Data driven version of Neyman's smooth test of fit, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 89, 1000-1005. https://doi.org/10.2307/2290926
- Ladiray, D. and Quenneville, B. (2001). Seasonal Adjustment with the X-11 Method, Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Laytras, D. P., Feldpausch, R. M. and Bell, W. R. (2007). Determining seasonality: A comparison of diag-nostics from X-12-ARIMA, U.S. Census Bureau Seasonal Adjustment Papers.
- McDonald-Johnson, K., Monsell, B. Fescina, R., Feldpausch, R., Hood, C. and Wroblewski, M. (2006). Sea-sonal Adjustment Diagnostics: Census Bureau Guideline, U.S. Census Bureau, Washington, D. C.
- Lee. G. H. and Hart, J. (1998). An L2 error test with order selection and thresholding, Statistics & Probability Letter, 39, 61-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-7152(98)00039-X
- Lothian, J. and Morry, M. (1978). A Set of quality control statistics for X-11 ARIMA seasonal adjustment program, Statistics Canada.
- Neyman, J. (1937). Smooth test for goodness of fit, Skandinavisk Aktuarietidskrift, 20, 149-199.
- United States Bureau of the Census (2009). X-12 ARIMA Reference Manual, Version 0.3.
- Zhang, P. (1993). On the convergence rate of model selection criteria, Communications in Statistics-Series A, Theory and Methods, 22, 2765-2775. https://doi.org/10.1080/03610929308831184
Supported by : 한국방송통신대학교