- Volume 24 Issue 1
By use of a mortality forecasting model and a life table, forecasting the average life expectancy is an effective way to evaluate the future mortality level. There are differences between the actual values of average life expectancy at present and the forecasted values of average life expectancy in population projection 2006 from Statistics Korea. The reason is that the average life expectancy forecasts did not reflect the increasing speed of the actual ones. The main causes of the problem may be errors from judgment for projection, from choice, or use of a mortality forecasting model. In this paper, we focus on the choice of the mortality forecasting model to inspect this problem. Statistics Korea should take a mortality forecasting model with considerable investigation to proceed population projection 2011 without the errors observed in population projection 2006. We compare the five mortality forecasting models that are the LC(Lee and Carter) model used widely and its variants, and the HP8(Heligman and Pollard 8 parameter) model for handling death probability. We make average life expectancy forecasts by sex using modeling results from 2010 to 2030 and compare with that of the population projection 2006 during the same period. The average life expectancy from all five models are forecasted higher than that of the population projection 2006. Therefore, we show that the new average life expectancy forecasts are relatively suitable to the future mortality level.
Mortality forecasting model;average life expectancy;life table;Lee-Carter model;HP8 model
- 국가통계포털. http://www.kosis.kr
- 권태환, 김태헌 (1990). <한국인의 생명표>, 서울대학교 출판부.
김기환, 이동희, 정승환 (2006). 간이생명표 확장기법을 통한 사망확률 추정,
, 8, 959–969.
김기환, 정승환 (2006). 우리나라 생명표의 연령구간 확장 및 기대여명 예측,
, 8, 1723–1733.
- 박유성, 김기환, 이동희, 이연경 (2005). 사망률 예측을 위한 모형 비교, <응용통계연구>, 18, 639–654. https://doi.org/10.5351/KJAS.2005.18.3.639
- 통계청 (2006). 장래인구추계.
- Booth, H., Hyndman, R. J., Tickle, L. and De Jong, P. (2006). Lee-Carter mortality forecasting: A multicountry comparison of variants and extensions, Demographic Research, 15, 289-310. https://doi.org/10.4054/DemRes.2006.15.9
- Booth, H., Maindonald, J. and Smith, L. (2002). Applying Lee-Carter under conditions of variable mortality decline, Population Studies, 56, 325-336. https://doi.org/10.1080/00324720215935
- Booth, H., Tickle, L. and Smith, L. (2005). Evaluation of the variants of the Lee-Carter method of forecasting mortality: A multi-country comparison, New Zealand Population Review, 31, 13-34.
- Brass, W. (1971). On the Scale of Mortality, Biological Aspects of Demography, Taylor and Francis, London.
- Heligman, L. and Pollard, J. H. (1980). The Age pattern of mortality, Journal of the Institute of Actuaries, 107, 49-77. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0020268100040257
- Hyndman, R. J., Booth, H., Tickle, L. and Maindonald, J. (2008). Demography: Forecasting Mortality and Fertility Data, R package version 0.995.
- Hyndman, R. J. and Ullah, M. S. (2007). Robust forecasting of mortality and fertility rate: A functional data approach, Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, 51, 4942–4956.
- Kostaki, A. (1991). The Helignman- Pollard Formula as a tool for expanding an abridged life table, Journal of Official Statistics, 7, 311–323.
- Kostaki, A. and Panousis, V. (2001). Expanding an abridged life table, Demographic Research, 5, 1-22. https://doi.org/10.4054/DemRes.2001.5.1
- Lee, R. D. and Carter, L. R. (1992). Modeling and forecasting the time series of U.S. mortality, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 87, 659-671. https://doi.org/10.2307/2290201
- Lee, R. D. and Miller, T. (2001). Evaluating the performance of the Lee-Carter method for forecasting mortality, Demography, 38, 537-549. https://doi.org/10.1353/dem.2001.0036
- United Nations (1982). Model Life Tables for Developing Countries, United Nations publication.
- A modified Lee-Carter model based on the projection of the skewness of the mortality vol.29, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5351/KJAS.2016.29.1.041
Supported by : 고려대학교