- Volume 18 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Strategies for the Sustainable Management of Insurance Companies
보험회사의 지속가능경영 전략에 관한 연구
- Jung, Se-Chang (Finance and Insurance Division, College of Business Management, Hongik University) ;
- Seon, Hwan-Kyu (Finance and Insurance Division, College of Business Management, Hongik University)
- Received : 20101000
- Accepted : 20101200
- Published : 2011.01.30
This paper measures and analyzes the performance of insurance companies in Korea in respect to sustainable development and suggest strategic implications based on the analysis. The correlation, regression, ANOVA, and t-test are employed. The results of this study are summarized as follows. First, it shows tat social index is important in the life insurance industry; however, the environmental index, is important in the non-life insurance industry. Second, the result gained by regressing the size and financial soundness on the performance of sustainable development demonstrates that the size variable is statistically significant. It suggests that size is a necessary condition for sustainable development. Finally, ANOVA shows that the small and medium sized companies have a significantly poor performance compared to the large companies concerning the social index and reputation index in the life insurance industry. The small and medium sized companies in the non-life insurance industry exhibit a significantly poor performance compared to the large companies in respect to all the indexes, except for the social index. Therefore, the small and medium sized companies make every endeavor in the poor indexes to improve performance.
Supported by : 홍익대학교
- 대한상공회의소 (2007). <기업의 사회적 책임(CSR)과 기업가치 -CSR이 기업 높이는가?->, 대한상공회의소 지속가능경영원.
- 산은경제연구소(2007). <기업의 지속가능경영을 위한 금융의 역할>, 산은경제연구소산업분석 2팀.
- 신철호, 김재은(2008). 지속가능경영의 현황과 과제, <임금연구>, 가을호, 72-81.
- 안치용 (2009a). <2009 ERISS 한국 생명보험 지속가능지수 평가 보고>, ERISS.
- 안치용 (2009b). <2009 ERISS 한국손해보험 지속가능지수 평가 보고>, ERISS.
- 이병두 (2005). <지속가능경영과 사회적 책임>, Deloitte.
- 이종서 (2010). 유럽연합과 기업의 사회적 책임(CSR): 현황과 전망, <국제지역연구>, 14, 209-236.
- 정재욱 (2007). 지속가능경영과 보험산업의 실천과제, <손해보험>, April, 15-24.
- 황병우 (2007). 영국 은행들의 지속가능경영 사례, <대은경제리뷰>, 211, 70-75.
- Al-Tuwaijri, S. A., Christen, T. E. and Hughes, K. E. (2004). The relation among environmental disclosure, environmental performance, and economic performance: A simultaneous equations approach, AOS, 29, 447-471. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0361-3682(03)00032-1
- Chen, K. H. and Metcalf, R. W. (1980). The relation between pollution control record and financial indicators revisited, Accounting Review, 55, 168-177.
- Googins B. (2008). Saving capitalism: Next generation corporate social responsibility agenda, LIG 50주년 기념세미나.
- King, A. A. and Lenox, M. J. (2001). Does it really pay to be green? An empirical study of firm environmental and financial performance, Journal of Industrial Ecology, 5, 105-116.
- Lovink J. S., Wackemagel, M. and Goldfinger, S. H. (2004). Eco-Insurance: Risk Management for the 21st Century, Institute for Environmental Security.
- UNEPFI (2007). Insuring for Sustainability, IWG of UNEFP Finance Initiative.
- Waddock, S. A. and Graves, D. B. (1997). The corporate social performance-financial performance link, Strategic Management Journal, 18, 303-319. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199704)18:4<303::AID-SMJ869>3.0.CO;2-G