- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Identification of Potential Bacillus subtilis Probiotics from Korean Soybean Paste and Their Antimicrobial and Immune Activities
- Seo, Weon-Taek (Department of Food Science, Jinju National University) ;
- Nam, Sang-Hae (Department of Food Science, Jinju National University) ;
- Lee, Chang-Kwon (Soy Sauce and Paste Techno-Research Laboratory, Mong-Go Food Company) ;
- Cho, Kye-Man (Department of Food Science, Jinju National University)
- Received : 2010.12.09
- Accepted : 2011.03.10
- Published : 2011.03.31
The potential probiotic of a total of 15 Bacillus species isolated from Korean soybean paste (doenjang) was evaluated. Among those tested, the CSY191 and CSY388 strains were selected as probiotic bacteria due to their acid and bile tolerance, respectively. These strains were classified as Bacillus subtilis based on morphological, physiological, and chemotaxonomic features as well as on phylogenetic analysis based on their 16S rDNA sequences. These strains CSY191 and CSY388 showed a significant survival with rate range of 30.0 to 58.3% and of 31.0% to 58.1%, respectively, under artificial gastric acidic conditions at pH 3.0. These CSY191 and CSY388 strains appeared to have high antimicrobial activity against Salmonella Typhimurium, Bacillus cereus and Listeria monocytogenes. Also, methanol extractions (surfactin-like compounds) of strain CSY191 and strain CSY388 activated RAW264.7 microphages and induced the production of nitric oxide (NO) in a concentration-dependent manner, respectively. Therefore, strain CSY191 and strain CSY388 can be used as potential probiotics.
- Fuller R. 1989. Probiotics in man and animals. J Appl Bacteriol 66: 365-378. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.1989.tb05105.x
- Duc LH, Hong HA, Barbosa TM, Henriques AO, Cutting SM. 2004. Characterization of Bacillus probiotics available for human use. Appl Environ Microbiol 70: 2161-2171. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.70.4.2161-2171.2004
- Kim KK, Kim MJ, Kim DH, Park YS, Kang JS. 2009.Characterization of Bacillus polyfermenticus KJS-2 as a probiotic. J Microbiol Biotechnol 19: 1013-1018. https://doi.org/10.4014/jmb.0903.113
- La Ragione RM, Casula G, Cutting SM, Woodward SM.2001. Bacillus subtilis spores competitively exclude Escherichia coli 070:K80 in poultry. Vet Microbiol 79: 133-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-1135(00)00350-3
- Vaseeharan B, Ramasamy P. 2003. Control of pathogenic Vibrio spp. by Bacillus subtilis BT23, a possible probiotic treatment for black tiger shrimp Penaeus monodon. Lett Appl Microbiol 36: 83-87. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1472-765X.2003.01255.x
- Pinchuk IV, Bressollier P, Verneuil B, Fenet B, SorokulovaIB, Megraud F, Urdaci MC. 2001. In vitro anti-Helicobacter pylori activity of the probiotic strain Bacillus subtilis 3 is due to secretion of antibiotics. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 45: 3156-3161. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.45.11.3156-3161.2001
- Lim JH, Kim SD. 2009. Selection and characterization of the bacteriocin-producing bacterium, Bacillus subtilis BP6 isolated from chicken gut against Salmonella gallinarum casuing fowl-typhus. J Korean Soc Appl Biol Chem 52:80-87. https://doi.org/10.3839/jksabc.2009.014
- Hong HA, Duc LH, Cutting SM. 2005. The use of bacterial spore formers as probiotics. FEMS Microbiol Rev 29: 813-835. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.femsre.2004.12.001
- Cho KM, Math RK, Hong SY, Islam SMA, MandannaDK, Cho JJ, Yun MG, Kim JM, Yun HD. 2009. Iturin produced by Bacillus pumilus HY1 from Korean soybean sauce (kanjang) inhibits growth of aflatoxin producing fungi. Food Cont 20: 402-406. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2008.07.010
- Kim NY, Song EJ, Kwon DY, Kim HP, Heo MY. 2008.Antioxidant and antigenotoxic activities of Korean fermented soybean. Food Chem Toxicol 46: 1184-1189. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2007.12.003
- Jung KO, Park SY, Park KY. 2006. Longer aging time increases the anticancer and antimetastatic properties of doenjang. Nutrition 22: 539-545. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2005.11.007
- Cho KM, Seo WT. 2007. Bacterial diversity in a Korean traditional soybean fermented foods (doenjang and ganjang) by 16S rRNA gene sequence analysis. Food Sci Biotechnol 16: 320-324.
- Cho KM. 2008. Characterization of potential probiotics Bacillus subtilis CS90 from soybean paste (doenjang) and its antimicrobial activity against food-borne pathogens. J Appl Biol Chem 51: 285-291. https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2008.044
- Cowan ST, Steel KJ. 1965. Manual for the identification of medical bacteria. Cambridge University Press, London, UK.
- Saito N, Nei M. 1987. The neighbor-joining method: A new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Mol Biol Evol 4: 406-425.
- Chang YH, Kim JK, Kim HJ, Kim WY, Kim YB, Park YH. 2001. Selection of a potential probiotic Lactobacillus strain and subsequent in vivo studies. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek 80: 193-199. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1012213728917
- Kim SJ. 2005. Potential probiotic of lactic acid bacteria isolated from kimchi. Food Sci Biotechnol 14: 503-508.
- Urdaci MC, Pinchuk I. 2004. Antimicrobial activity of Bacillus probiotics. In Bacterial Spore Formers: Probiotics and Emerging Applications. Ricca E, Henriques AO, Cutting SM, eds. Horizon Bioscience, Norfolk, UK. p 93-106.
- Sorokulova IB, Pinchuk IV, Denayrolles M, Osipova IG, Huang JM, Cutting SM, Urdaci MC. 2008. The safety of two Bacillus probiotic strains for human use. Dig Dis Sci 53: 954-963. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10620-007-9959-1
- Li Y, Zhuang S, Mustapha A. 2005. Application of a multiplex PCR for the simultaneous detection of Escherichia coli O157:H7, Salmonella and Shigella in raw and readyto- eat meat products. Meat Sci 71: 402-406. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.04.013
- Gast RK, Holt PS, Guraya R. 2006. Effect of refrigeration on in vitro penetration of Salmonella Enteritidis through the egg yolk membrane. J Food Prot 69: 1426-1429. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-69.6.1426
- Guo X, Li D, Lu W, Piao X, Chen X. 2006. Screening of Bacillus strains as potential probiotics and subsequent confirmation of the in vivo effectiveness of Bacillus subtilis MA139 in pigs. Antonine van Leeuwenhoek 90: 139-146. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10482-006-9067-9
- Vater J, Kablitz B, Wilde C, Franke P, Mehta N, Cameotra SS. 2002. Matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry of lipopeptide biosurfactants in whole cells and culture filtrates of Bacillus subtilis C-1 isolated from petroleum sludge. Appl Environ Microbiol 68: 6210-6219. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.68.12.6210-6219.2002
- Roongsawang N, Thaniyavarn J, Thaniyavarn S, Kameyama T, Haruki M, Imanaka T, Morikawa M, Kanaya S. 2002. Isolation and characterization of a halotolerant Bacillus subtilis BBK-1 which produces three kinds of lipopeptides: bacillomycin L, plipastatin, and surfactin. Extremophiles 6: 499-506. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00792-002-0287-2
- Duitman EH, Wycawski D, Boven LG, Venema G, Kuipers OP, Hamoen LW. 2007. Novel methods for genetic transformation of natural Bacillus subtilis isolates used to study the regulation of the mycosubtilin and surfactin synthetases. Appl Environ Microbiol 73: 3490-3496. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.02751-06
- Teo AYL, Tan HM. 2005. Inhibition of Clostridium perfringens by a novel strain of Bacillus subtilis isolated from gastrointestinal tracts of healthy chickens. Appl Environ Microbiol 71: 4185-4190. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.71.8.4185-4190.2005
- Chang ZQ, Oh BC, Rhee MH, Kim JC, Lee SP, Park SC. 2007. Polysaccharides isolated from Phellinus baumii stimulate murine splenocyte proliferation and inhibit the lipopolysaccharide-induced nitric oxide production in RAW264.7 murine macrophages. World J Micrbiol Biotechnol 23: 723-727. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11274-006-9277-3
- Kim SY, Kim JY, Kim SH, Bae HJ, Yi HS, Yoon SH, Koo BS, Kwon MS, Cho JY, Lee CE, Hong SY. 2007. Surfactin from Bacillus subtilis displays anti-proliferative effect via apoptosis induction, cell cycle arrest and survival signaling suppression. FEBS Lett 58: 865-871.
- Vollenbroich D, Ozel M, Vater J, Kamp RM, Pauli G. 1997. Mechanism of inactivation of enveloped viruses by the biosurfactant surfactin from Bacillus subtilis. Biologicals 25: 289-297. https://doi.org/10.1006/biol.1997.0099
- Tsukagoshi N, Tamura G, Arima K. 1970. A novel protoplast bursting factor (surfactin) obtained from Bacillus subtilis IAM1213. I. The effects of surfactin on Bacilllus megaterium KM. Biochim Biophys Acta 196: 204-210. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-2736(70)90007-6
- Moran AC, Martinez, MA, Sineriz F. 2002. Quantification of surfactin in culture supernatants by hemolytic activity. Biotechnol Lett 24: 177-180. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1014140820207
- Kikuchi T, Hasumi K. 2002. Enhancement of plasminogen activation by surfactin C: augmentation of fibrinolysis in vitro and in vivo. Biochim Biophys Acta 29: 234-245.
- Hwang MH, Lim JH, Yun HI, Rhee MH, Cho JY, Hsu WH, Park SC. 2005. Surfactin C inhibits the lipopolysaccharide-induced transcription of interleukin-1beta and inducible nitric oxide synthase and nitric oxide production in murine RAW 264.7 cells. Biotechnol Lett 27: 1605-1608. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10529-005-2515-1
- Hwang MH, Chang ZQ, Kang EH, Lim JH, Yun HI, Rhee MH, Jeong KS, Park SC. 2008. Surfactin C inhibits Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae-induced transcription of proinflammatory cytokines and nitric oxide production in murine RAW 264.7 cells. Biotechnol Lett 30: 229-233. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10529-007-9552-x
- In vitroassessment of the gastrointestinal tolerance and immunomodulatory function ofBacillus methylotrophicusisolated from a traditional Korean fermented soybean food vol.118, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/jam.12719
- Probiotic characteristics of Bacillus strains isolated from Korean traditional soy sauce vol.79, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2016.08.040