- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Influence of Extruded Hemp-Rice Flour Addition on the Physical Properties of Wheat Bread
- Wang, Yuan-Yuan (Department of Food Science and Technology, Kongju National University) ;
- Norajit, Krittika (Department of Food Science and Technology, Kongju National University) ;
- Ryu, Gi-Hyung (Department of Food Science and Technology, Kongju National University)
- 투고 : 2010.11.09
- 심사 : 2011.01.19
- 발행 : 2011.03.31
Functional foods play an important role in daily diet, human health and the food industry. Hemp was reported to have many advantages for nutritional and medicinal usage. In this study, extruded hemp-rice (EHR) flour, containing 30% hemp, was mixed with the wheat flour to create bread loaves at the concentrations of 5, 10 and 15%. Bread made from 100% wheat flour (with no added EHR flour) was used as a control. The physical parameters, including expansion ratio, specific volume and crust/crumb color were evaluated separately. In addition, changes in hardness of the bread during storage at ambient temperature for 3 days were also studied. The results showed that 10%-EHR bread exhibited the highest hardness value, while 15%-EHR bread presented the lowest. The bread containing EHR flour had lower specific volume and bigger air cells compared to the control. Moreover, the crust and crumb color of EHR-containing bread was significantly darker than those of the control. In this study, the 15%-EHR bread showed higher specific volume, lower hardness and bigger air cell structures.
- Callaway JC. 2004. Hempseed as a nutritional resource: an overview. Euphytica 140: 65-72. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10681-004-4811-6
- Oomah BD, Busson M, Godfrey DV, Drover JCG. 2002. Characteristics of hemp (Cannabis sativa L.) seed oil. Food Chem 76: 33-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(01)00245-X
- Odani S, Odani S. 1998. Isolation and primary structure of a methionine- and cystine-rich seed protein of Cannabis sativa. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 62: 650-654. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.62.650
- Sacilik K, Ozturk R, Keskin R. 2003. Some physical properties of hemp seed. Biosyst Eng 86: 191-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1537-5110(03)00130-2
- Osbum L. 1992. Hemp seed: The most nutritionally complete food source in the world. Hemp Line J 1: 14-15.
- Koeppe SJ, Harris PL, Hanna MA. 1987. Physical properties and some nutritional characteristics of an extrusion product with defatted amaranth seeds and defatted maize gluten meal (80:20 ratio). Cereal Chem 64: 332-336.
- Gill S, Vasanthan T, Ooraikul B, Rossnagel B. 2002. Wheat bread quality as influenced by the substitution of waxy and regular barley flours in their native and extruded forms. J Cereal Sci 36: 219-237. https://doi.org/10.1006/jcrs.2001.0458
- Lopez ACB, Pereira AJG, Junqueira RG. 2004. Flour mixture of rice flour, corn and cassava starch in the production of gluten-free white bread. Brazilian Arch Biol Technol 47: 63-70. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-89132004000100009
- Koca AF, Anil M. 2007. Effect of flaxseed and wheat flour blends on dough rheology and bread quality. J Sci Food Agr 87: 1172-1175. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2739
- Autio K, Laurikainen T. 1997. Relationships between flour/ dough microstructure and dough handling and baking properties. Trends Food Sci Technol 8: 181-185. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-2244(97)01039-X
- Chevallier Sm, Zuniga R, Le-Bail A. 2010. Assessment of bread dough expansion during fermentation. Food Bioprocess Technol doi:10.1007/s11947-009-0319-3. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11947-009-0319-3
- Siddiq M, Nasirb M, Ravi R, Butt MS, Dolan KD, Harte JB. 2009. Effect of defatted maize germ flour addition on the physical and sensory quality of wheat bread. LWTFood Sci Technol 42: 464-470. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2008.09.005
- Hung PV, Maeda T, Morita N. 2007. Dough and bread qualities of flours with whole waxy wheat flour substitution. Food Res Int 40: 273-279. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2006.10.007
- Aini IN, Maimon CHC. 1996. Characteristics of white pan bread as affected by tempering of the fat ingredient. Cereal Chem 73: 462-465.
- Veluppillai S, Nithyanantharajah K, Vasantharuba S, Balakumar S, Arasaratnam V. 2010. Optimization of bread preparation from wheat flour and malted rice flour. Rice Sci 17: 51-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1672-6308(08)60104-3
- Sciarini LS, Ribotta PD, Leon AE, Perez GT. 2010. Influence of gluten-free flours and their mixtures on batter properties and bread quality. Food Bioprocess Technol 3: 577-585. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11947-008-0098-2
- Quality Characteristics of White Bread added Modified Starch vol.25, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2015.6.25.3.474
- Bread Supplementation with Hemp Seed Cake: A By-Product of Hemp Oil Processing vol.38, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/jfq.12159
- Influence of extrusion condition and hemp addition on wheat dough and bread properties vol.22, pp.S1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-013-0053-5