- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on Combustion Characteristic Methane Fuel according to Torch Volume Variation in a Constant Volume Combustion Chamber
정적연소기에서 토치의 체적 변화에 따른 메탄의 연소특성 파악
- Received : 2011.01.07
- Accepted : 2011.03.31
- Published : 2011.03.31
Six different size of torch-ignition device were applied in a constant volume combustion chamber for evaluating the effects of torch-ignition on combustion. The torch-ignition device was designed for six different volumes and same orifice size. The combustion pressures were measured to calculate the mass burn fraction and combustion enhancement rate. In addition, the flame propagations were visualized by shadowgraph method for the qualitative comparison. The result showed that the combustion pressure and mass burn fraction were increased when using the torch ignition device. And the combustion duration were decreased. The combustion enhancement rates of torch-ignition cases were improved in comparison with conventional spark ignition. Finally, the visualization results showed that the torch-ignition induced faster burn than conventional spark ignition due to the earlier transition to turbulent flame and larger flame surface, during the initial stage. Finally, the initial flame propagation was affected by torch-ignition volume.
- Ohm, I. Y., Jeong, K. S., and Jeung, I. S., 1997, “Effects of Injection Timming on the Lean Misfire Limit in an SI engine”, SAE paper, No. 970028.
- Lee, J. M., Kwon, S. T., Ohm, I. Y., and Park, C. H., 2010, “A Study on Combustion Characteristics of Methane Fuel according to Torch Nozzle Diameter in a Constant Volume Combustion Chamber”, J. KSVI., Vol.8(1), pp.19-24.
- Park, J. S., 2003, “Combustion Characteristics of Plasma Jet Ignition on LPG-Air Mixture in Laminar Flow Field”, SAE paper, No.99370008.
- Kim, B. S., 2003, “A Study on Combustion Characteristics of the Methane-Hydrogen Lean Mixture by Using Multiple Spark Capacity Discharge in a CVCC(I)”, J. Energy Engg., Vol. 12(2), pp. 124-130.
- Ferguson, C., 1986, Internal Combustion Engines, John Willy & Sons, New York, pp. 103-148.
- Nakamura, N., Kobayashi, T., Hanaoka, M., and Tagaki, N., 1983, “A New Platinum Tipped Spark Plug Extends the Lean Limit and Useful Life”, SAE paper, No.830480.
- Ohm, I. Y., 2006, Internal Combustion Engine, Ajin, Seoul, pp. 50-57.